The board's server will undergo upgrade maintenance tonight, Nov 5, 2014, beginning approximately around 10 PM ET. Prepare for some possible down time during this process.
FAQ    Search

Board index » Watched from the Window ... » Pearl Jam




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 221 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12  Next

Rate Betterman
5 Stars 71%  71%  [ 20 ]
4 Stars 21%  21%  [ 6 ]
3 Stars 7%  7%  [ 2 ]
2 Stars 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
1 Star 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 28
Author Message
 Post subject: Re: Song of the Moment: Betterman
PostPosted: Tue November 28, 2017 9:13 pm 
Online
User avatar
Future Drummer
 Profile

Joined: Mon July 08, 2013 11:12 pm
Posts: 2114
Like in the Creed song, the second verse and the first verse were obviously very distinct. But after that less so, and then it repeated things at the end.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Song of the Moment: Betterman
PostPosted: Tue November 28, 2017 9:16 pm 
Online
User avatar
Future Drummer
 Profile

Joined: Mon July 08, 2013 11:12 pm
Posts: 2114
I cant help feeling like you guys listen to music VERY mechanically. If you can't see that betterman is a constant build.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Song of the Moment: Betterman
PostPosted: Tue November 28, 2017 9:17 pm 
Offline
User avatar
Looks Like a Cat
 Profile

Joined: Wed January 02, 2013 11:15 pm
Posts: 13312
Location: Seattle, WA
jesus christ i just caught up on the last 4 pages of this thread.

kill me. now.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Song of the Moment: Betterman
PostPosted: Tue November 28, 2017 9:20 pm 
Online
User avatar
Fake NYC Setlist Relayer
 Profile

Joined: Wed January 02, 2013 2:02 am
Posts: 7644
Location: Not NYC
mikejasond wrote:
I cant help feeling like you guys listen to music VERY mechanically. If you can't see that betterman is a constant build.

LITERALLY EVERYONE CAN SEE THAT

_________________
I'm just here for the tacos and beer.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Song of the Moment: Betterman
PostPosted: Tue November 28, 2017 9:20 pm 
Online
User avatar
Future Drummer
 Profile

Joined: Mon July 08, 2013 11:12 pm
Posts: 2114
You are literally people that cannot understand what Betterman is doing outside of its chords. Its no surprise what songs you guys like now because some elements of music are just being completely lost to you.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Song of the Moment: Betterman
PostPosted: Tue November 28, 2017 9:21 pm 
Online
User avatar
Future Drummer
 Profile

Joined: Mon July 08, 2013 11:12 pm
Posts: 2114
PHATJ wrote:
mikejasond wrote:
I cant help feeling like you guys listen to music VERY mechanically. If you can't see that betterman is a constant build.

LITERALLY EVERYONE CAN SEE THAT



Then why are they continuing to complain that Betterman repeats itself? Which sections are they talking about?


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Song of the Moment: Betterman
PostPosted: Tue November 28, 2017 9:22 pm 
Online
User avatar
Worst Moderator
 Profile

Joined: Tue January 01, 2013 2:48 pm
Posts: 45090
no one is "complaining" that it does that. We are just pointing out that it isn't some ahead of it's time song like you say it is.

_________________
Clouuuuds Rolll byyy...BANG BANG BANG BANG


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Song of the Moment: Betterman
PostPosted: Tue November 28, 2017 9:23 pm 
Offline
A Return To Form
 Profile

Joined: Fri September 13, 2013 5:49 pm
Posts: 119
mikejasond wrote:
HECK even just the choruses. I cant think of another song off the top of my head (NOT SAYING THEY DONT EXIST SINCE IM SURE THEY DO) where the first chorus is sung softly/sweetly/delicately, and the second chorus loudly/rocking out. Can you name some? Im sure they must exist but every song coming to mind the choruses are sung identically.


Hanging By A Moment by Lifehouse was the biggest song of 2001 and it has the first chorus song low and soft. It’s not used a ton, but it’s not reinventing the wheel or anything.
I can’t tell if you think the song is a 3 chord masterpiece or a prog rock song ahead of the curve of everyone else.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Song of the Moment: Betterman
PostPosted: Tue November 28, 2017 9:23 pm 
Online
User avatar
Worst Moderator
 Profile

Joined: Tue January 01, 2013 2:48 pm
Posts: 45090
mikejasond wrote:
Its no surprise what songs you guys like now because some elements of music are just being completely lost to you.


lol yep. Elements of this community have been around for 20 years. Trading music, talking about it, many are musicians themselves. But yeah, elements of Betterman are just lost on us.

_________________
Clouuuuds Rolll byyy...BANG BANG BANG BANG


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Song of the Moment: Betterman
PostPosted: Tue November 28, 2017 9:25 pm 
Online
User avatar
Future Drummer
 Profile

Joined: Mon July 08, 2013 11:12 pm
Posts: 2114
Its a 3-chord masterpiece. And Im saying it has unique elements besides just the CHORDS. Who care that it uses 3 chords? It does OTHER interesting things instead. What are the two parts that you guys think sound the same? What part repeats itself?


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Song of the Moment: Betterman
PostPosted: Tue November 28, 2017 9:26 pm 
Online
User avatar
Future Drummer
 Profile

Joined: Mon July 08, 2013 11:12 pm
Posts: 2114
Its hard for me to ask for other pop rock songs that repeat themselves as little as Betterman does when you guys think Betterman repeats itself....when it never does


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Song of the Moment: Betterman
PostPosted: Tue November 28, 2017 9:28 pm 
Online
User avatar
Future Drummer
 Profile

Joined: Mon July 08, 2013 11:12 pm
Posts: 2114
Like hanging by a moment. It was good. But it does go back to the beginning on the last verse/chorus.

betterman never does. Which I find very interesting because I cant think of any songs that are like it that aren't very long


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Song of the Moment: Betterman
PostPosted: Tue November 28, 2017 9:30 pm 
Offline
A Return To Form
 Profile

Joined: Fri September 13, 2013 5:49 pm
Posts: 119
You are saying “who cares that it uses 3 chords” AND saying that there’s nothing (NOTHING) repetitive about the song. I don’t care about the chords. I care that you clearly are missing the point and don’t know what you’re talking about. You cannot make the two comments at the beginning of this post. You just can’t.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Song of the Moment: Betterman
PostPosted: Tue November 28, 2017 9:31 pm 
Online
User avatar
Future Drummer
 Profile

Joined: Mon July 08, 2013 11:12 pm
Posts: 2114
....using the same 3 chords does not mean its repetitive? Because there are other aspects of music besides just the chords


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Song of the Moment: Betterman
PostPosted: Tue November 28, 2017 9:31 pm 
Online
User avatar
Future Drummer
 Profile

Joined: Mon July 08, 2013 11:12 pm
Posts: 2114
Youre looking at tiny pieces. Youre examining pixels and not the whole picture.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Song of the Moment: Betterman
PostPosted: Tue November 28, 2017 9:32 pm 
Online
User avatar
Future Drummer
 Profile

Joined: Mon July 08, 2013 11:12 pm
Posts: 2114
And in fact, making such a non-repetitive song out of the same 3 chords is even more impressive. Because yes I can point to bohemian rhapsody (though even that one has repetitive verses in the first section) and say it has 3 different sections. It obviously does. For Pearl Jam to create such a non-repetitive song without even changing the chords is pretty impressive.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Song of the Moment: Betterman
PostPosted: Tue November 28, 2017 9:34 pm 
Offline
A Return To Form
 Profile

Joined: Fri September 13, 2013 5:49 pm
Posts: 119
mikejasond wrote:
....using the same 3 chords does not mean its repetitive? Because there are other aspects of music besides just the chords


Of course it means it’s repetirive! The things happening outside of those 3 chords are nothing special on their own. Mike plays a pretty standard solo. Stone plays different variations of the chords Ed is playing on the acoustic. This is Rock Band Song Writing 101. It just works though on this song. The stars aligned for it.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Song of the Moment: Betterman
PostPosted: Tue November 28, 2017 9:35 pm 
Offline
User avatar
Looks Like a Cat
 Profile

Joined: Wed January 02, 2013 11:15 pm
Posts: 13312
Location: Seattle, WA
mikejasond wrote:
making such a non-repetitive song out of the same 3 chords is even more impressive.


Green Day did it for 10 albums. HOW IMPRESSIVE IS THAT???


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Song of the Moment: Betterman
PostPosted: Tue November 28, 2017 9:37 pm 
Online
User avatar
Worst Moderator
 Profile

Joined: Tue January 01, 2013 2:48 pm
Posts: 45090
dude, the first few lines of the second verse before the band kicks in is exactly the same as the first. So how is that not repetitive? And because EV sings the chorus louder, is that why you think it isn't "repetitive"? Because singing it louder doesn't change the fact that he still says "betterman"

_________________
Clouuuuds Rolll byyy...BANG BANG BANG BANG


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Song of the Moment: Betterman
PostPosted: Tue November 28, 2017 9:37 pm 
Offline
A Return To Form
 Profile

Joined: Fri September 13, 2013 5:49 pm
Posts: 119
What about Not For You? Sure it starts with drums from the start, but it builds and is 3 chords (not counting the bridge). How does that register?


Top
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 221 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12  Next

Board index » Watched from the Window ... » Pearl Jam


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: B, Bing [Bot], BootsToAsses, JasonA and 2 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
It is currently Wed December 13, 2017 4:57 pm