The board's server will undergo upgrade maintenance tonight, Nov 5, 2014, beginning approximately around 10 PM ET. Prepare for some possible down time during this process.
FAQ    Search

Board index » Watched from the Window ... » Pearl Jam

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 14062 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 653, 654, 655, 656, 657, 658, 659 ... 704  Next

Rank Dark Matter
5 Stars 61%  61%  [ 112 ]
4 Stars 28%  28%  [ 52 ]
3 Stars 8%  8%  [ 15 ]
2 Stars 1%  1%  [ 1 ]
2 Star 1%  1%  [ 1 ]
%#*! Andrew Watt 2%  2%  [ 3 ]
Total votes : 184
 Post subject: Re: Dark Matter: Official Album Thread
PostPosted: Tue April 23, 2024 4:50 pm 
Banned from the Pit

I have no issues to my untrained ears, however I feel like I can’t hear Jeff at all

PostPosted: Tue April 23, 2024 4:52 pm 
Posting (live)
 WWW  Profile

I'm sure Ed is fine. He's venting, finding catharsis through his art (which thankfully happens to make for the most inspired lyrics and singin' I've heard from him in a long time) and not bottling his emotions. He has a very healthy disposition and can also always lean on surfing, throwing axes, etc. I'm not worried about him.

PostPosted: Tue April 23, 2024 4:52 pm 
Production Police

Guys I can fix the audio just I can’t fix Eddie’s marriage or the shipping delays. Sorry!

PostPosted: Tue April 23, 2024 4:53 pm 
The Master

For me this album is about the divisions in our world, and his concerns on his legacy as a musician and a family man. Doubts and all

PostPosted: Tue April 23, 2024 4:53 pm 
likes rhythmic things that butt up against each other

***** Wreckage, Won't Tell, Upper Hand, Waiting for Stevie, Something Special, Setting Sun
**** Got To Give
*** Dark Matter, Scared of Fear, React/Respond
** Running

As of today. It's been since Riot Act that I rated so many songs that high. Just incredible. And I really loved Gigaton.

PostPosted: Tue April 23, 2024 4:54 pm 
Broken Tamborine

DDWJMUVW wrote:
man this broken record interview with Stone and Jeff is gold. This is the stuff I ALWAYS want to hear. In the weeds details about writing/recording/process/etc.

LOVING it.

It really is, insight into recording DM, recording with Neil(funny bit about Neil going into trailer at the end of day, smoking weed and coming back the next day with 8 pages taped together which was I’m the ocean), green river

Last edited by Arthur Morgan on Tue April 23, 2024 4:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue April 23, 2024 4:55 pm 
Production Police

Here’s a wild thought that feels true: I appreciate Gigaton more than I like it; and I like Dark Matter more than I appreciate it.

PostPosted: Tue April 23, 2024 4:57 pm 
Posting (live)
 WWW  Profile

tragabigzanda wrote:
Here’s a wild thought that feels true: I appreciate Gigaton more than I like it; and I like Dark Matter more than I appreciate it.

Yeah, Dark Matter is more emotionally visceral and Gigaton is more cerebral. Not a wild thought at all.

Last edited by tree_ on Tue April 23, 2024 4:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue April 23, 2024 4:57 pm 
Fake NYC Setlist Relayer

Strat wrote:
For me this album is about the divisions in our world, and his concerns on his legacy as a musician and a family man. Doubts and all

I’d probably say it’s about navigating division in multitudes both personal and in larger society, the first third identifying that division and the rest of the album resolving it by redirecting focus on the things that are unifying: love, family, etc.

PostPosted: Tue April 23, 2024 4:58 pm 
Production Police

tree_ wrote:
tragabigzanda wrote:

Yeah, Dark Matter is more emotionally visceral and Gigaton is more cerebral

Definitely true! But I was thinking more about how Gigaton feels like they worked hard and deliberately, while DM feels like they worked fast and carelessly.

PostPosted: Tue April 23, 2024 4:59 pm 
Posting (live)
 WWW  Profile

tragabigzanda wrote:
tree_ wrote:
tragabigzanda wrote:

Definitely true! But I was thinking more about how Gigaton feels like they worked hard and deliberately, while DM feels like they worked fast and carelessly.

Right, felt vs. thought. Felt wins!

PostPosted: Tue April 23, 2024 5:00 pm 
Broken Tamborine

10c vinyl just got delayed to Friday…….

PostPosted: Tue April 23, 2024 5:25 pm 
likes rhythmic things that butt up against each other

Arthur Morgan wrote:
10c vinyl just got delayed to Friday…….

Jesus Christ so did mine.

mother fuck. now I'll have to pester my neighbors since I'll be out of town.

PostPosted: Tue April 23, 2024 5:51 pm 
AnalLog

tree_ wrote:
tragabigzanda wrote:
tree_ wrote:
tragabigzanda wrote:

Right, felt vs. thought. Felt wins!

I always thought Gigaton just felt like a bunch of pieces that a producer Josh Evans cobbles into s album with out much involvement with the band. It has zero live feel. In many ways there are alot of songs that just feel like pieces of solo work . Alright Never Destination Buckle Up Comes and Goes RiverCross. This has zero of that. Something Special maybe you could say that about, but I really enjoy Mike and Jeff on the track I don't get that with Comes and Goes.

PostPosted: Tue April 23, 2024 5:57 pm 
AnalLog

Im listening to that Broken Record podcast with Stone and Jeff. Great interview!

Can anyone share the Stern interview with me? Or is it online somewhere?
And is the Zane Lowe interview online yet?

Im a bit busy and have a feeling that Im missing these..

PostPosted: Tue April 23, 2024 6:05 pm 
AnalLog

Tj wrote:
I always thought Gigaton just felt like a bunch of pieces that a producer Josh Evans cobbles into s album with out much involvement with the band. It has zero live feel. In many ways there are alot of songs that just feel like pieces of solo work . Alright Never Destination Buckle Up Comes and Goes RiverCross. This has zero of that. Something Special maybe you could say that about, but I really enjoy Mike and Jeff on the track I don't get that with Comes and Goes.

This points to the different approach. With Gigaton, they each brought in cherished demos and the rest of the band essentially helped them turn them into songs. While Gigaton comes across as a lot less creatively stale than its predecessor, this approach still is limited by the band members' egos, and what you get are a number of songs that sound like they came from a particular member of the band. I think it's to PJ's credit that they did a lot with that, and there are some great "full band" moments on Gigaton regardless.

Dark Matter was apparently rooted in ego destruction from the start, as no demo was safe from being taken apart and re-created live by the band on the spot through critical jam sessions. I think the results show the success of the process. It seems the best way to be more than just the sum of its parts is for Pearl Jam to be a living organism together in the creation of its songs.

PostPosted: Tue April 23, 2024 6:06 pm 
The worst

Tj wrote:
Strat wrote:
Oh my god everyone shut up you sound like idiots

This is the post of the day.

everyone should just make this their signature

I Am No Guide - Pearl Jam Song by Song - Coming this July!
He/Him/His

PostPosted: Tue April 23, 2024 6:09 pm 
The worst

joostone wrote:
Im listening to that Broken Record podcast with Stone and Jeff. Great interview!

No Zane (at least not here)

STern was shared earlier - if you go back to late yesterday morning it'll be in this thread. I didn't capture it though

I Am No Guide - Pearl Jam Song by Song - Coming this July!
He/Him/His

PostPosted: Tue April 23, 2024 6:10 pm 
Rank This Poster

RockPusher wrote:
Tj wrote:

This points to the different approach. With Gigaton, they each brought in cherished demos and the rest of the band essentially helped them turn them into songs. While Gigaton comes across as a lot less creatively stale than its predecessor, this approach still is limited by the band members' egos, and what you get are a number of songs that sound like they came from a particular member of the band. I think it's to PJ's credit that they did a lot with that, and there are some great "full band" moments on Gigaton regardless.

Dark Matter was apparently rooted in ego destruction from the start, as no demo was safe from being taken apart and re-created live by the band on the spot through critical jam sessions. I think the results show the success of the process. It seems the best way to be more than just the sum of its parts is for Pearl Jam to be a living organism together in the creation of its songs.

One of the things I learned from Josh Evans' podcast on State of Love and Trust is that much of Gigaton was cut with the full band; they just experimented and pulled songs apart for a long period of time afterward. But I don't really hear what others are hearing; those songs don't really sound anything like demos, beyond something like Comes and Goes, which it seems that leaving it that unadorned was a pretty clear choice.

PostPosted: Tue April 23, 2024 6:11 pm 
jeeeesus relax already

joostone wrote:

I have yet to finished the stone and jeff one but its so fucking good, i love these guys.

Lowe is not out yet, and the stern one if you need it PM me!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 14062 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 653, 654, 655, 656, 657, 658, 659 ... 704  Next

Board index » Watched from the Window ... » Pearl Jam