The board's server will undergo upgrade maintenance tonight, Nov 5, 2014, beginning approximately around 10 PM ET. Prepare for some possible down time during this process.
FAQ    Search

Board index » Watched from the Window ... » Pearl Jam

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 13999 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 580, 581, 582, 583, 584, 585, 586 ... 700  Next

Rank Dark Matter
5 Stars 61%  61%  [ 112 ]
4 Stars 28%  28%  [ 52 ]
3 Stars 8%  8%  [ 15 ]
2 Stars 1%  1%  [ 1 ]
2 Star 1%  1%  [ 1 ]
%#*! Andrew Watt 2%  2%  [ 3 ]
Total votes : 184
 Post subject: Re: Dark Matter: Official Album Thread
PostPosted: Fri April 19, 2024 5:07 pm 
Broken Tamborine

96583UP wrote:
what a head-fake to start

thought we were getting the gigaton intro into something hard

then they pull the change up and it's a spritzer out the gate

first song also has a Glam Bridge

second song also sucked and had to turn it off ten seconds after starting

don't think i can stomach any more of this POS today

production also sounded terrible

had to put on Blood Sugar Sex Magik right after to purge my brain of this filth and replenish anew

so far I have heard 3 (whole) songs from the album, all of which had a 'Glam Bridge': Dark Matter, Running, and whatever the first song name is

if Backspacer was the birth of the 'Spritzy Punker', Dark Matter is the bith of the 'Glam Bridge'

This is Ed's Bridge energy now:

Kristian Alfonso!! Hubba Hubba

PostPosted: Fri April 19, 2024 5:28 pm 
Fake NYC Setlist Relayer

Some thoughts:

- Scared of Fear works really well as an album opener, in part because it shares to my ears DNA with Gigaton, and works as a nice transition out of that record and into this one. It is reminiscent of Who Ever Said but certainly has its own identity.

- React Respond is quite hard hitting. The bass line is very chili peppers but what is happening around it is quite heavy. Kudos to Ed for being able to keep up with this monster of a band track.

- Wreckage is wonderful in a way that is nothing like the songs before it, not just because it’s slower, but because even on the first listen, it feels lived in, almost like I’ve always known this song. Rarely do we get that kind of feel immediately, and this has a good comfort feeling and also feels like the moment where this album really digs its claws into you.

- Dark Matter works great here and feels much more natural living in the album as a whole than it did as a single. It stands with its colleagues so much better than it sits alone.

- Won’t Tell comes alive in the full version via-a-vis the rough telephone recording. I am nearly distracted by the Edge-inspired riffing in the second half of the song, but it fits what they were going for here, which is all that really matters.

- Upper Hand is righting the wrong of Sirens. The intro is amazing, the smoke filled room haze feel of the track is complimented by Ed’s less than full throated delivery, which then makes a bigger impact when his vocals do soar in the second half of the song. That transition from smoky blues into an epic finish is chef’s kiss great.

- Waiting For Stevie is an obvious absolute highlight. It’s not even it being the old school vibes people undoubtedly have been talking about, but that the song matches and even ticks up the emotion and big giganticness of the two songs that precede it. I am exhausted by the time the interlude kicks in.

- And we come out of the lulling interlude with the bastard son of Spin the Black Circle and Lukin misbehaving. The sheer enjoyment of this song here, and the way the song goes right to the edge of coming off the rails, is a welcome respite from the trio of anthems.

- Something Special then becomes an antidote to Running in a very human way. The song certainly leans into some cheese, but unlike say Future Days, it doesn’t wallow - it kind of guides nicely, and it’s in its humanity and vulnerability (particularly it being this band putting this here, who once lived in holding what made their albums so controlled and self-conscious) that makes it more charming than cloying. It very easily could have been the opposite but they got it right.

- Got to Give builds so wonderfully over its time. Never feels rushed nor unfocused, it builds into Pearl Jam does the Who territory and provides the right pace to being the wind down.

- Setting Sun is masterful. Such an emotional roller coaster to end the album and a song I felt deeply. The build and the closing just killed me inside. Emotionally spent when the final notes hit feeling like I just experienced something profound as the song ends up speaking for the whole album in the end. Magnificent.

PostPosted: Fri April 19, 2024 5:29 pm 
Misplaced My Sponge

Clem Halibut wrote:
96583UP wrote:

Kristian Alfonso!! Hubba Hubba

Bo & Hope 4eva

PostPosted: Fri April 19, 2024 5:30 pm 
She / Her

what a gift of an album we have here folks

PostPosted: Fri April 19, 2024 5:33 pm 
Posting (live)
 WWW  Profile

you ain'tn't kiddin' lady

PostPosted: Fri April 19, 2024 5:33 pm 
She / Her

:heartbeat:

PostPosted: Fri April 19, 2024 5:34 pm 
NEVER STOP JAMMING!

I keep hitting reply to this thread, staring at the empty space for a while, and then leaving without typing a thing.

Truly at a loss for words.

A Return To Form

For what it's worth my best listening experience so far has been Apple Music Dolby Atmos with AirPods Pro with the spatial audio turned on. I don't have a true Dolby Atmos setup but I did notice a lot of details in this and even felt the solo moving side to side and around the back in a couple songs and a very good balance on Ed's placement..

Broken Tamborine

The Super Duper Deluxe Red Ten Club vinyl won't reach me until Tuesday apparently so that sucks. The ALAC files they've provided me with sound excellent however.

PostPosted: Fri April 19, 2024 5:35 pm 
A Return To Form

Ms Harmless wrote:

PostPosted: Fri April 19, 2024 5:36 pm 
The Master

McParadigm wrote:
I keep hitting reply to this thread, staring at the empty space for a while, and then leaving without typing a thing.

Truly at a loss for words.

Broken Tamborine

Ms Harmless wrote:

Someone on here said it earlier but I feel like my favorite sports team just won the championship

Broken Tamborine

stip wrote:
Okay here is a ranking an hour prior of my first proper album (I did not track down the better leak today)

1. Waiting for Stevie
2. Setting Sun
3. Scared of Fear
4. Dark Matter
5. React/Respond
6. Wreckage
7. Running
8. Got To Give
9. Something Special
10. Upper Hand
11. Wont Tell

I have not spent enough time with 8/10/11 yet (any of them really but especially those 3) so that placement is tenuous

This was my favorite ranking from last night...I need an update! If Upper Hand and Won't Tell are the two worst songs on this album the boys may well indeed be onto something :D

Broken Tamborine

Ledbetterdays wrote:
For what it's worth my best listening experience so far has been Apple Music Dolby Atmos with AirPods Pro with the spatial audio turned on. I don't have a true Dolby Atmos setup but I did notice a lot of details in this and even felt the solo moving side to side and around the back in a couple songs and a very good balance on Ed's placement..

I have 3rd Gen AirPods that support Spatial Audio/Atmos. They sound cool but that spacey swirly thing they do is equal parts cool and kind of annoying at times. Great for movies. I prefer the basic stereo sound field for music.

AnalLog

swan wrote:
Has anyone received their pre-ordered vinyl from Ten Club yet?

I'm waiting for that to listen to the whole thing, none of my other options compare to the turntable system in the living room.

I dont even have a delivery date yet and i pre ordered this thing on the first day. I'll be lucky to see it in April.

PostPosted: Fri April 19, 2024 5:37 pm 
AnalLog

Even if there's plenty of overindulgence with all the soaring outros, and the mastering being loud, we have a winner.

PostPosted: Fri April 19, 2024 5:38 pm 
The Master

pearl jam was like the sun hiding beyond the rain.

they have arrived, again, again.

PostPosted: Fri April 19, 2024 5:39 pm 
She / Her

Clem Halibut wrote:
Ms Harmless wrote:

Someone on here said it earlier but I feel like my favorite sports team just won the championship

:hooray:

PostPosted: Fri April 19, 2024 5:39 pm 
Posting (live)
 WWW  Profile

some of you might laugh at me, but it really did sound fantastic listening on DTS setting on my Samsung soundbar. I know it's not perfectly ideal but it's the next best thing for me without listening through headphones

PostPosted: Fri April 19, 2024 5:40 pm 
A Return To Form

darthvedder81 wrote:
Ledbetterdays wrote:

I have 3rd Gen AirPods that support Spatial Audio/Atmos. They sound cool but that spacey swirly thing they do is equal parts cool and kind of annoying at times. Great for movies. I prefer the basic stereo sound field for music.

The only time it really bothered me was Dark matter where there is some aggressive echo on Eddie.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 13999 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 580, 581, 582, 583, 584, 585, 586 ... 700  Next

Board index » Watched from the Window ... » Pearl Jam