The board's server will undergo upgrade maintenance tonight, Nov 5, 2014, beginning approximately around 10 PM ET. Prepare for some possible down time during this process.
FAQ    Search

Board index » Watched from the Window ... » Pearl Jam

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 13965 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 568, 569, 570, 571, 572, 573, 574 ... 699  Next

Rank Dark Matter
5 Stars 60%  60%  [ 111 ]
4 Stars 29%  29%  [ 53 ]
3 Stars 8%  8%  [ 15 ]
2 Stars 1%  1%  [ 1 ]
2 Star 1%  1%  [ 1 ]
%#*! Andrew Watt 2%  2%  [ 3 ]
Total votes : 184
 Post subject: Re: Dark Matter: Official Album Thread
PostPosted: Fri April 19, 2024 6:07 am 
Future Drummer
 WWW  Profile

mattyv1908 wrote:
If you simply swapped Something Special with Pendulum and left the rest of the album exactly the same this could be a top three album in their entire catalog. I can’t believe what I took as Eddie being hyperbolic regarding this as their best work ever had some truth rooted in the statement, but he was being sincere. This is really strong. Makes me proud as a champion of this band for three decades.

Yes, Ed saying "No hyperbole, this is our best work" is no longer something we should mock (even if not true). I cab absolutely understand why he would feel that way.

PostPosted: Fri April 19, 2024 6:07 am 
Banned from the Pit

Whoops. My mistake...

Twas not a dolby atmos mix, but apple digital mastered lol

I dont have the spotify ... sorry. I cant compare.

Honestly, I cant even believe how good this album ended! AND started!

I mean, i knew going in, it was going to be much improved over the mp3, but it was like listening to two different sets of songs, by two different bands!

I cant even process how much better it was.

This is outstanding. Fooking glorious.

I think i must spin it again.

Im really leaning towards a 4 star album here. Maybe even 5. I didnt think that id say that after yesterdays leak. I wont judge until more research is done...

PostPosted: Fri April 19, 2024 6:11 am 
likes rhythmic things that butt up against each other

What a good night!! This is the vocal intro of the DM instrumental, sadly is not on the album.

https://vocaroo.com/1iWISu79MC8p

PostPosted: Fri April 19, 2024 6:11 am 
Future Drummer
 WWW  Profile

alphawolf wrote:

Im really leaning towards a 4 star album here. Maybe even 5.

Exponential curve my friend
This one goes to 11

PostPosted: Fri April 19, 2024 6:18 am 
Future Drummer
 WWW  Profile

Hypnos wrote:
What a good night!! This is the vocal intro of the DM instrumental, sadly is not on the album.

https://vocaroo.com/1iWISu79MC8p

Hmmm, you're pulling a leg

Aren't you homeboy?

PostPosted: Fri April 19, 2024 6:19 am 

bluestate wrote:
Hey Val, haven't heard your reactions yet? Are you a wet little schoolgirl or a paddle waving headmaster bitch?

Songwriting wise this is probably their strongest work since forever.

I already have favorites, which are WFS (obviously), Upper Hand, SoF and R/R, with Won't Tell following close behind.

Setting Sun, DM and Running are middle tier.

I am probably skipping Wreckage, GTG and SS in the future.

As the initial excitement settled, I've come to realize that this album is too damn poppy. I want something a lot dirtier from my Pearl Jams. This radio fodder (while very good) isn't why I got into them. One could argue that DOTC was quintessential pop, yes, but it's of a very special, unique variety of pop, the one that sets the Tame Impalas apart from the N'Syncs of the world. DM, as an album, falls within a genre which could easily allow for the replacement of the band members by numerous other candidates without influencing the final product much.

However, as with everything, time will be the best judge.
We're gonna have this conversation again in a few years, I'm sure, all of us are :)

PostPosted: Fri April 19, 2024 6:36 am 
A Return To Form

This really sounds effortless. They are not trying to be a thing. Not worrying about if it is punk enough, or avoiding being obvious. And maybe yes it loses a bit of edge, but they are 60 and I am entering my mid 40’s. This just makes me happy. For once they are not overthinking it.

PostPosted: Fri April 19, 2024 6:40 am 
Broken Tamborine

Val wrote:
bluestate wrote:
Hey Val, haven't heard your reactions yet? Are you a wet little schoolgirl or a paddle waving headmaster bitch?

I already have favorites, which are WFS (obviously), Upper Hand, SoF and R/R, with Won't Tell following close behind.

As the initial excitement settled, I've come to realize that this album is too damn poppy. I want something a lot dirtier from my Pearl Jams. This radio fodder (while very good) isn't why I got into them. One could argue that DOTC was quintessential pop, yes, but it's of a very special, unique variety of pop, the one that sets the Tame Impalas apart from the N'Syncs of the world. DM, as an album, falls within a genre which could easily allow for the replacement of the band members by numerous other candidates without influencing the final product much.

We're gonna have this conversation again in a few years, I'm sure, all of us are :)

I love this review...don't agree with much of it but it's good stuff. Thanks.

PostPosted: Fri April 19, 2024 6:47 am 
The Master

We should’ve seen a record chock full of poppy breakup songs coming from a mile away.

Spoiler: show

PostPosted: Fri April 19, 2024 6:52 am 
Broken Tamborine

Val wrote:
bluestate wrote:

I'm still on the upswing at the moment but i tend to find that albums by my favourite artists than lean poppy also get stale the quickest after the initial sugar rush so I do worry that may happen. That said, Beck's Colors had legs so there's hope yet. Plus... there's an emotional punch with some of these songs that belies their poppiness.

PostPosted: Fri April 19, 2024 6:55 am 
Broken Tamborine

igotworms wrote:
Val wrote:
bluestate wrote:

I'm still on the upswing at the moment but i tend to find that albums by my favourite artists than lean poppy also get stale the quickest after the initial sugar rush so I do worry that may happen. That said, Beck's Colors had legs so there's hope yet. Plus... there's an emotional punch with some of these songs that belies their poppiness.

I tend to agree but the best pop stuff is timeless...not saying that's the case here, and it sure as hell ain't really mainstream pop, but i think this one will carry....

PostPosted: Fri April 19, 2024 7:07 am 
Banned from the Pit

I can’t sleep. Just keep listening and finding more to love in every single song.

I can’t describe the feeling properly but it’s definitely a milestone in 25 years of obsession with this band. It feels like the best thing since Yield to me and even though my expectations were high for this album, they’ve far exceeded them.

Can finally hear everything clearly and there’s so much going on. Love the guitar interplays, Jeff and Matt are beyond amazing. Ed’s lyrics really growing on me, the melodies, the theme, the story unfolding. I’ll be unpacking this for so long. The harmonies, my God the harmonies.

Is it weird to feel proud of them? I feel so incredibly proud of them. They know this is a masterpiece and it must feel so good to them if it feels this good to us.

:heartbeat: :heartbeat: :heartbeat:

PostPosted: Fri April 19, 2024 7:12 am 

I really didn't think that much of Dark Matter & Running, but in the context of the album, it's a totally different thing.
You need to listen to this album on headphones though. Too much happening.

PostPosted: Fri April 19, 2024 7:16 am 

Ok, as a father of a 3 month old daughter Something Special really is ... well ... something special. :luv:

PostPosted: Fri April 19, 2024 7:33 am 
what on earth am I talking about

Gonna give the flac lossless one a go today.

Can’t see it helping with matters production but we will see.

PostPosted: Fri April 19, 2024 7:35 am 
Broken Tamborine

Got to give begins like Throw your arms around me.

I love it.

PostPosted: Fri April 19, 2024 7:39 am 
Yeah Yeah Yeah

This first proper listen as the album was intended was the most emotionally evocative experience I’ve had to a musical composition in so long I can’t remember. It was remarkable.

It was like that hopeful and innocent part of me at the core of who I am that was ripped out and extinguished from the world events of the last few years was given a spark upon listening to this in it’s entirety. I haven’t even begun to unpack the lyrics yet so this was a visceral response to the cathartic nature of this collection of songs. It’s like this record met me where I’m at.

So much good music over the last few years has filled in the void that this band vacated when they were finding their way to this point. The Avett Brothers, Rateliff, Turnpike, Jack White, Marcus King, The Record Company, etc.

This was an invigorating experience that the aforementioned artists, however great in their own right, haven’t been able to break through. This is the type of album you feel even before you begin to process it intellectually or cerebrally.

To quote Ben Harper, “This is the greatest band in the world.” This album, at least initially, is deserving of being exhibit A when backing that statement up.

Bravo Pearl Jam, and thank you. This one means a lot. It met me where I was needing to be met on an emotional level I don’t think could’ve expected.

PostPosted: Fri April 19, 2024 7:51 am 

I enjoyed the Qobuz HD last night with my headphones, woke up and wanted to listen again so I'm playing the Dolby Atmos on Amazon now.

The Atmos mix is where it's at, for sure. I even enjoyed React, Respond a lot more this time. There's a lot going on, lots of cool little choices from Mike and Stone.

Who knew they had this in them after over 30 years. I'm stunned.

PostPosted: Fri April 19, 2024 7:57 am 
Broken Tamborine

After enough listens:

This blows Gigaton out of the water.

We don't need to say the same about LB, obviously.

A lot of highlights here, but the ending of React, respond is hard to replicate. So good.

PostPosted: Fri April 19, 2024 8:00 am 
Banned from the Pit

I’m kind of surprised the comments from the listening parties didn’t give more of a positive response. Maybe it’s because it’s one listen (potentially without the lyrics) but don’t recall anyone raving about it, just a mixed bag of responses really.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 13965 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 568, 569, 570, 571, 572, 573, 574 ... 699  Next

Board index » Watched from the Window ... » Pearl Jam