The board's server will undergo upgrade maintenance tonight, Nov 5, 2014, beginning approximately around 10 PM ET. Prepare for some possible down time during this process.
FAQ    Search

Board index » Help, Help » Technical Support

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 195 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
 Post subject: Re: Devices set me free (the gadgets thread)
PostPosted: Sun June 14, 2020 6:15 pm 
Looks Like a Cat

E.H. Ruddock wrote:
Strat wrote:
Hey ruddo remember when your non apple phone never works. Cool

Nah that was just a simple setting on my end that I was too dumb to figure out. If I remember correctly, when we first started our texting group, you apple users had to change a setting too. We'll call this one a wash. Nice try though.

Tell 'em, ruddo.

PostPosted: Thu June 18, 2020 2:49 am 
The Master

Jorge wrote:
tragabigzanda wrote:
Ok RM, please help me pick out a new Macbook...

My 2015 Air is dying. I'm thinking I want a 16" Pro, because the extra screen area will be of benefit to my eyes while editing audio (which I do regularly), but there's also a decent likelihood that I'll be editing more video in the coming years.

Do I need a 32 or 64gb model, or is the standard 16gb 16" Pro good enough for some light-to-moderate Premiere editing?

Are the fan/heat issues with the new 16" Pro models really that bad? Are they considerably less in the 13" Pro models?

Anything else I should be aware of? I'd rather go a bit bigger and beefier than a bit lighter -- my current Premiere sessions are a drag on my CPU, and those are really light sessions. But then I'm not too keen on constant heat and fan noise.

Ugh.

I work on a 16 GB 2019 Pro and I do a lot of editing on Premiere and animating on AfterEffects that go beyond what most people would call "light-to-moderate" and honestly I've had no issues. No issues with heat so far either, but I have no real basis for comparison. This is my first Macbook

Ok Jorge, some specific Premiere questions for you as I'm taking a Udemy course on Premiere:

On your fancy MBP, when you're creating a sequence, and you're playing through a rough cut, does your sequence play smoothly with no lag? Or do you first have to render the sequence in and out for a smooth playback?

Is this "Render In to Out" command something that I'll be doing a lot even if I'm on a new MBP? Or maybe just if the sequence gets especially large?

Does rendering a sequence create a new file (or significantly increase the file size of my project)? Or do renders effectively get dumped from my comp's memory every time I reboot my comp?

And when you're editing something longer, like say a 30-minute video, do you create a bunch of smaller sequences and then cobble them together in a new project? Or do you just have one massive sequence timeline?

Just trying to understand workflow/file management stuff. Thank you for any help you might offer.

COP.

PostPosted: Thu June 18, 2020 4:31 am 
mXn

I got a projector and big roll-down screen to watch movies out on the deck for my birthday.

PostPosted: Thu June 18, 2020 4:49 am 
NYUCK NYUCK NYUCK

I've only experienced significant lag during playback when I'm editing something that is linked to an active AfterEffects composition, or when I'm messing with Motion Graphics templates. I think the renders are saved in the preview folder location within the main project folder but tbh I haven't worked on this computer long enough to figure out where they go or if they're automatically purged. Your question about sequences will probably vary from individual to individual and project to project. For me, it's very common that I'll have a bunch of smaller sequences that I then assemble on a larger "mother" sequence. But sometimes I just use the single giant sequence... really depends on the project's specifications. What I've never done is create a whole new project just to bring together sequences. It's always a new sequence within the same project.

PostPosted: Thu June 18, 2020 6:35 am 
F.U.B.A.R
 WWW  Profile

This guy sequences.

PostPosted: Thu June 18, 2020 1:39 pm 
The Master

:lol:

Thank you Jorge, much obliged

PostPosted: Sun June 21, 2020 7:37 pm 
The Master

In-laws got me a TourBox for Father’s Day; been eyeballing this thing for a few weeks. Arrives in early July, can’t wait to use it with Audition, Premiere Pro, and Logic.

PostPosted: Tue July 28, 2020 4:43 pm 
The Master

tragabigzanda wrote:
In-laws got me a TourBox for Father’s Day; been eyeballing this thing for a few weeks. Arrives in early July, can’t wait to use it with Audition, Premiere Pro, and Logic.

Because of the move, haven't had a chance to play with this until today. Spent the last 90 minutes getting it installed, and getting a basic layout setup for Audition. Will take some getting used to, but I'm already in love.

PostPosted: Fri August 07, 2020 6:34 pm 
The Master

Bought a Pixel 4a, which will be released later this month (was originally supposed to come out in the Spring).

I've decided the only thing I care about with a phone is the camera, OS, and form factor. $350 is a good price to replace my 3.5 year OG Pixel.

PostPosted: Fri August 07, 2020 11:35 pm 
Future Drummer

Ooo, I could use and new phone that doesn't cost a fortune. Thank M_D

PostPosted: Tue August 11, 2020 3:21 pm 
Troglodyte
 WWW  Profile

I downloaded an app for our router. Figured I could control what stuff is using my internet connection. Basically, kick the kids off at will.

It doesn't automatically determine what device I'm looking at, so I have to match the mac addresses for at least 34 different wireless devices in my house!

:shock:

PostPosted: Tue August 11, 2020 3:22 pm 
The Master

B wrote:
I downloaded an app for our router. Figured I could control what stuff is using my internet connection. Basically, kick the kids off at will.

It doesn't automatically determine what device I'm looking at, so I have to match the mac addresses for at least 34 different wireless devices in my house!

34 devices?!

PostPosted: Tue August 11, 2020 3:32 pm 
Troglodyte
 WWW  Profile

5 Lights
3 thermostats
Nest Doorbell
3 Kindles
3 Tablets
4 Laptops

... y'know what. I'm embarrassingly privileged. Nevermind.

:oops:

PostPosted: Tue August 11, 2020 4:07 pm 
Guys, I am not a moderator! I swear to God! Why does everyone think I'm a moderator?

B wrote:

We do this too. It's great for giving priority to my work computer as well as hers, and the kids devices get the lowest priority

PostPosted: Tue August 11, 2020 4:41 pm 
The Master

B wrote:
5 Lights
3 thermostats
Nest Doorbell
3 Kindles
3 Tablets
4 Laptops

3 thermostats?!

PostPosted: Tue August 11, 2020 4:44 pm 
Guys, I am not a moderator! I swear to God! Why does everyone think I'm a moderator?

Monkey_Driven wrote:
B wrote:
5 Lights
3 thermostats
Nest Doorbell
3 Kindles
3 Tablets
4 Laptops

3 thermostats?!

Lots of houses here in the south have separate ac units for different areas of the house. We also have three. Upstairs, downstairs, and a small one for the loft over the garage. I guess it's more efficient? Until they all break at once

PostPosted: Tue August 11, 2020 4:45 pm 
The Master

I don’t understand why you’re downloading apps for this. You should already be able to prioritize devices by linking to your router’s IP address, and going to the QoS tab.

PostPosted: Tue August 11, 2020 4:47 pm 

tragabigzanda wrote:
I don’t understand why you’re downloading apps for this. You should already be able to prioritize devices by linking to your router’s IP address, and going to the QoS tab.

Out router came with an app that is phone-display user friendly, rather than a "web page" to open in a browser. I assume that's what B is referring to as well

PostPosted: Tue August 11, 2020 4:49 pm 
Troglodyte
 WWW  Profile

Ah, i didn't even realize I could do it on the laptop. Looks pretty much the same though.

I'd like to have the control on my phone.

PostPosted: Tue August 11, 2020 4:50 pm 
The Master

Ah that makes sense.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 195 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Board index » Help, Help » Technical Support