Switch to full style
Post a reply

Re: IT Guy/Gal Thread

Fri May 20, 2016 8:38 am

Anybody got any PHP/MySQL workflow tips?

For a personal project, I'm developing an Angular frontend, but the server is MySQL. Got Apache and SQL installed on my local PC and am going to try using Gulp to compile dev code and reload the browser?

Also, I have no idea what I'm doing with regards to keeping things secure with PHP. Anybody got a good PHP/SQL security 101 link?

Fri May 20, 2016 9:36 am

For starters, compile suPHP, suhosin and mod security into Apache.

Make you never set folder permissions higher than 755 or file permissions above 644. Never have folders set to ownership of 'nobody'.

Ensure you're using a currently supported version of PHP with the most recent updates.

For an alternative (better performing) to MySQL, have a look at MariaDB.

Are you running a GUI platform for the hosting management? WHM/cPanel is fine and has options for brute force protection and firewall software like CSF and LFD.

Something to remember is that no amount of server security can prevent a website from being compromised due to bad coding. (Almost everything above will mainly protect the server from being compromised, or other sites/accounts from bring accessed/compromised).

I'll post more later when my brain isn't bathed in beer.

Fri May 20, 2016 10:11 am

Sgt. Crackpot wrote:For starters, compile suPHP, suhosin and mod security into Apache.

Make you never set folder permissions higher than 755 or file permissions above 644. Never have folders set to ownership of 'nobody'.

Ensure you're using a currently supported version of PHP with the most recent updates.

For an alternative (better performing) to MySQL, have a look at MariaDB.

Are you running a GUI platform for the hosting management? WHM/cPanel is fine and has options for brute force protection and firewall software like CSF and LFD.

Something to remember is that no amount of server security can prevent a website from being compromised due to bad coding. (Almost everything above will mainly protect the server from being compromised, or other sites/accounts from bring accessed/compromised).

I'll post more later when my brain isn't bathed in beer.

Whelp.

Thu July 07, 2016 2:06 am

Beer battered server environments.

Fri March 03, 2017 6:24 am

Sgt. Crackpot wrote:I'm somewhat in IT. I used computers to destroy things and kill people.

3) Brogrammer
Post a reply