The board's server will undergo upgrade maintenance tonight, Nov 5, 2014, beginning approximately around 10 PM ET. Prepare for some possible down time during this process.
FAQ    Search

Board index » Help, Help » Technical Support

Post subject: iTunes 3rd party software
PostPosted: Tue December 08, 2015 3:44 am 
mXn

Long story short, I have my older generation iPod with ALL my music on it.

My laptop with that music library on it crapped out and I had to get a new laptop.

Basically my dilemma is that I want to move all my music directly from my iPod to my new laptop ... whether that be directly into the iTunes on the new laptop, or into another folder somewhere else and then put that all into the new iTunes software manually.

Bottom line, I want to "rip" the music from my iPod to my new laptop.

Apple support suggests several different 3rd party software choices for this ... one for example is called iPod2PC which looks legit (http://www.casicakes.com/ipod2pc) but I'm just concerned that I might be using some piece of shit software that is going to fuck up my iPod, music files, or new laptop ... or all three.

Can anyone recommend a solid, legit software to use for this purpose? Many thanks, many thanks :bammer:

Post subject: Re: iTunes 3rd party software
PostPosted: Thu December 10, 2015 7:21 am 
The Master

Bammer wrote:
Long story short, I have my older generation iPod with ALL my music on it.

My laptop with that music library on it crapped out and I had to get a new laptop.

Basically my dilemma is that I want to move all my music directly from my iPod to my new laptop ... whether that be directly into the iTunes on the new laptop, or into another folder somewhere else and then put that all into the new iTunes software manually.

Bottom line, I want to "rip" the music from my iPod to my new laptop.

Apple support suggests several different 3rd party software choices for this ... one for example is called iPod2PC which looks legit (http://www.casicakes.com/ipod2pc) but I'm just concerned that I might be using some piece of shit software that is going to fuck up my iPod, music files, or new laptop ... or all three.

Can anyone recommend a solid, legit software to use for this purpose? Many thanks, many thanks :bammer:

I used iFunBox for Mac a few times. I gave it a virus check, and then it was just a simple install. It should be fine for your goals.

PostPosted: Thu December 10, 2015 7:22 am 
Looks Like a Cat

I used something called iPod Access to do this kind of thing a while ago, it worked out fine but I have no idea if it's still around.

PostPosted: Thu December 10, 2015 10:24 am 
Future Drummer

You could do a backup before using a software. When plugging in your Ipod it should be displayed as a device with Removable Storage or something like that. All your music is saved in a hidden folder called iPod_Control/Music. You can just copy that folder somewhere. The only problem is that the files in there aren't organized at all. (At least that's the case with my Ipod Classic) The files still have their MP3 tags, though. So importing that folder into Itunes should give you an organized music library.

If you care about an organized folder structure, you can use http://www.mp3tag.de/en/. Just import the whole music folder, mark all files and go to convert -> tag - filename.
Enter something like C:\Music\%artist%\%album%\%artist%-%title% and Mp3Tag will rename all your files according to the mp3tags and put them in the correct folders.

PostPosted: Thu December 10, 2015 4:52 pm 
Poster of the Year

Mike wins.

PostPosted: Thu December 10, 2015 5:01 pm 
Guys, I am not a moderator! I swear to God! Why does everyone think I'm a moderator?

/thread

PostPosted: Wed January 20, 2016 3:23 pm 
mXn

Mike wrote:
You could do a backup before using a software. When plugging in your Ipod it should be displayed as a device with Removable Storage or something like that. All your music is saved in a hidden folder called iPod_Control/Music. You can just copy that folder somewhere. The only problem is that the files in there aren't organized at all. (At least that's the case with my Ipod Classic) The files still have their MP3 tags, though. So importing that folder into Itunes should give you an organized music library.

If you care about an organized folder structure, you can use http://www.mp3tag.de/en/. Just import the whole music folder, mark all files and go to convert -> tag - filename.
Enter something like C:\Music\%artist%\%album%\%artist%-%title% and Mp3Tag will rename all your files according to the mp3tags and put them in the correct folders.

THANK YOU. I will try this first

Board index » Help, Help » Technical Support