Switch to full style
Post a reply

Lossless streaming (Tidal) and DACs

Fri April 03, 2015 1:35 pm

I am utterly confused about this topic. I am doing the 30-day free trial of Tidal lossless. However, I am hearing completely different takes on whether you can simply plug your headphones into the headphone jack of a smartphone (in my case, Galaxy S4) or desktop/laptop and actually GET lossless quality. Something to do with needing a DAC converter, or a "good" (whatever that means) DAC converter to take full advantage of the quality. Is this true?

Here is an example of an article which says that plugging your headphones into your smartphone headphone jack will NOT get you lossless quality:

http://qz.com/375629/11-points-about-ti ... ing-music/

Every laptop and smartphone has something called a DAC (a digital to analog converter) that takes the computer stuff (to use a technical term) and converts it into something the human ear can hear. The DACs that come with your computer and/or phone just aren’t good enough to take advantage of a higher quality stream. To do that, you need to bypass the internal DAC (via USB, for example) on your machine and run the signal through an external DAC (either a standalone or one that’s integrated into an AMP and/or receiver).

If this is the case, has listening to ALACs (iPhone) and FLACs (other phones) been a waste of time, or is this just a streaming problem?

Re: Lossless streaming (Tidal) and DACs

Fri April 03, 2015 8:13 pm

In simple terms, the better the equipment the better the sound. To take full advantage of your lossless music you want to be listening on good equipment, and your phone and laptop aren't really going to qualify on their own.

With that said, when I listen to a good pair of headphones plugged into my laptop, I definitely prefer the lossless files over the mp3s. But on my phone, I don't usually use my good headphones. They're either a cheaper, more portable set, or listening through a small bluetooth speaker. Either way, in that case I just stick with the mp3s.

What you should do is try Tidal lossless and Tidal lossy and listen to them with your headphones of choice on your phone. If you can hear a difference and it's worth it, get the lossless. If not, fuck it.

Fri April 03, 2015 10:51 pm

gracias.

Tue September 01, 2020 10:08 pm

Bump

Mon January 11, 2021 11:45 pm

I signed up for a 4-month trial period for Tidal. I like it so far. The difference in streaming quality is certainly noticeable. I also like that the UI is a carbon copy of Spotify's. I'll keep everybody posted!

Mon January 11, 2021 11:58 pm

Good value if you paid no more than $4 in total.

Tue January 12, 2021 12:27 am

I have thoughts on all this. Starting with: merge this shiz with turntables and stereo equipment

Tue January 12, 2021 12:39 am

I'd like strat to weigh in

Tue January 12, 2021 12:46 am

he probably uses Airpods

Tue January 12, 2021 1:05 am

Jorge wrote:I signed up for a 4-month trial period for Tidal. I like it so far. The difference in streaming quality is certainly noticeable. I also like that the UI is a carbon copy of Spotify's. I'll keep everybody posted!

Tell us your audio setup

Thu March 14, 2024 1:33 pm

I’m giving Tidal Hifi Plus a free trial run.

Thu March 14, 2024 1:43 pm

spike wrote:I’m giving Tidal Hifi Plus a free trial run.

What’s your setup.

So many people don’t understand if you’re streaming via Bluetooth from your phone or laptop, without a good DAC output, you’re not getting any benefits of high res digital

Thu March 14, 2024 7:14 pm

tragabigzanda wrote:
spike wrote:I’m giving Tidal Hifi Plus a free trial run.

What’s your setup.

So many people don’t understand if you’re streaming via Bluetooth from your phone or laptop, without a good DAC output, you’re not getting any benefits of high res digital

yeah i'm bluetoothing from my phone to the car or phone/laptop to earbuds

Thu March 14, 2024 7:16 pm

Not trying to give you a hard time, but you’re paying for resolution you’re never going to hear (assuming you’re on Apple devices)

Thu March 14, 2024 8:17 pm

Whats so cool about Tidal?

Thu March 14, 2024 9:00 pm

tragabigzanda wrote:Not trying to give you a hard time, but you’re paying for resolution you’re never going to hear (assuming you’re on Apple devices)

Thanks, this is why I went free trial and posted about it. I knew someone on RM would enlighten me.
Post a reply