The board's server will undergo upgrade maintenance tonight, Nov 5, 2014, beginning approximately around 10 PM ET. Prepare for some possible down time during this process.
FAQ    Search

Board index » Help, Help » Technical Support




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 28 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
Author Message
 Post subject: iPad won't restore
PostPosted: Thu April 02, 2020 4:31 am 
Offline
User avatar
Posting (live)
 Profile

Joined: Sun September 15, 2013 5:50 am
Posts: 18886
i have an iPad that froze up while doing zoom

i bought it in 2018 and not sure what version - just says 'iPad'

I went through the steps to try to update / restore it, and when i hook it up to my laptop - it always just gets stuck saying 'your mac is preparing to restore the software on this ipad' .... was like that for an hour

the iPad showed a screen as though a status bar would begin to load, but the status bar just stayed empty forever

my mac is fully up-to-date on software updates

help me RM-wan kenobi

you're my only hope

_________________
All posts by this account, even those referencing real things, are entirely fictional and are for entertainment purposes only; i.e. very low-quality entertainment. These may contain coarse language and due to their content should not be viewed by anyone


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: iPad won't restore
PostPosted: Thu April 02, 2020 4:36 am 
Offline
User avatar
The Master
 Profile

Joined: Tue September 24, 2013 5:56 pm
Posts: 38198
Location: Different mountains than strat and bodysnatcher.
Super producer Josh Evans could probably fix it


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: iPad won't restore
PostPosted: Thu April 02, 2020 4:44 am 
Offline
User avatar
Posting (live)
 Profile

Joined: Sun September 15, 2013 5:50 am
Posts: 18886
he probably could

i wonder what his go-to is for studio sandwich pickup

_________________
All posts by this account, even those referencing real things, are entirely fictional and are for entertainment purposes only; i.e. very low-quality entertainment. These may contain coarse language and due to their content should not be viewed by anyone


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: iPad won't restore
PostPosted: Thu April 02, 2020 4:49 am 
Offline
User avatar
The Master
 Profile

Joined: Tue September 24, 2013 5:56 pm
Posts: 38198
Location: Different mountains than strat and bodysnatcher.
96583UP wrote:
he probably could

i wonder what his go-to is for studio sandwich pickup

Uberblood Wolfmoon


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: iPad won't restore
PostPosted: Thu April 02, 2020 5:06 am 
Offline
User avatar
Looks Like a Cat
 Profile

Joined: Fri July 12, 2013 9:11 pm
Posts: 13083
Location: Oslo, Norway
https://setapp.com/how-to/reset-ipad

I would try doing a full reset, after charging for a while with a charger first. If it's important that you restore it, then try that via your mac later.

There are different ways of doing a reset, depending on what is going on. The link above explains different scenarios.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: iPad won't restore
PostPosted: Thu April 02, 2020 5:12 am 
Offline
User avatar
The Master
 Profile

Joined: Tue September 24, 2013 5:56 pm
Posts: 38198
Location: Different mountains than strat and bodysnatcher.
That shit is bushleague, Anders! Do you think super producer Josh Evans executed a hard reset of Pearl Jam?!


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: iPad won't restore
PostPosted: Thu April 02, 2020 5:25 am 
Offline
User avatar
Posting (live)
 Profile

Joined: Sun September 15, 2013 5:50 am
Posts: 18886
it's definitely time for a WWJED thread (what would josh evans do)

_________________
All posts by this account, even those referencing real things, are entirely fictional and are for entertainment purposes only; i.e. very low-quality entertainment. These may contain coarse language and due to their content should not be viewed by anyone


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: iPad won't restore
PostPosted: Thu April 02, 2020 5:25 am 
Offline
User avatar
Posting (live)
 Profile

Joined: Sun September 15, 2013 5:50 am
Posts: 18886
i would make it but it would probably get moved / locked / result in childish name-calling

but if you do it, YOU DO IT, then - oh well - sheesh - it will be totally brilliant / cool / acceptable / not moving / not locking MR PERFECT

_________________
All posts by this account, even those referencing real things, are entirely fictional and are for entertainment purposes only; i.e. very low-quality entertainment. These may contain coarse language and due to their content should not be viewed by anyone


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: iPad won't restore
PostPosted: Thu April 02, 2020 5:26 am 
Offline
User avatar
Looks Like a Cat
 Profile

Joined: Fri July 12, 2013 9:11 pm
Posts: 13083
Location: Oslo, Norway
tragabigzanda wrote:
That shit is bushleague, Anders! Do you think super producer Josh Evans executed a hard reset of Pearl Jam?!


It was hard all right.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: iPad won't restore
PostPosted: Thu April 02, 2020 5:29 am 
Offline
User avatar
Posting (live)
 Profile

Joined: Sun September 15, 2013 5:50 am
Posts: 18886
Anders wrote:
https://setapp.com/how-to/reset-ipad

I would try doing a full reset, after charging for a while with a charger first. If it's important that you restore it, then try that via your mac later.

There are different ways of doing a reset, depending on what is going on. The link above explains different scenarios.


thanks. it's at the point where when i turn it on - it just says to connect it to a mac to do a restore

then when i connect it to the mac it just always gets stuck at 'your mac is preparing to restore the software on this ipad'

_________________
All posts by this account, even those referencing real things, are entirely fictional and are for entertainment purposes only; i.e. very low-quality entertainment. These may contain coarse language and due to their content should not be viewed by anyone


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: iPad won't restore
PostPosted: Thu April 02, 2020 5:32 am 
Offline
User avatar
Looks Like a Cat
 Profile

Joined: Fri July 12, 2013 9:11 pm
Posts: 13083
Location: Oslo, Norway
96583UP wrote:
Anders wrote:
https://setapp.com/how-to/reset-ipad

I would try doing a full reset, after charging for a while with a charger first. If it's important that you restore it, then try that via your mac later.

There are different ways of doing a reset, depending on what is going on. The link above explains different scenarios.


thanks. it's at the point where when i turn it on - it just says to connect it to a mac to do a restore

then when i connect it to the mac it just always gets stuck at 'your mac is preparing to restore the software on this ipad'


If possible, do a hard reset instead. Reject their question about restoring.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: iPad won't restore
PostPosted: Thu April 02, 2020 5:33 am 
Online
User avatar
F.U.B.A.R
 WWW  Profile

Joined: Wed July 03, 2013 11:21 pm
Posts: 20000
Location: Lft Craquepeau
Throw the ipad in the bin. Buy an android tablet.

_________________
Rangi Guy wrote:
So skating back to the train station after work today things went wrong.....now my skateboard is at the bottom of the harbour :(


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: iPad won't restore
PostPosted: Thu April 02, 2020 5:34 am 
Offline
User avatar
Posting (live)
 Profile

Joined: Sun September 15, 2013 5:50 am
Posts: 18886
Anders wrote:
96583UP wrote:
Anders wrote:
https://setapp.com/how-to/reset-ipad

I would try doing a full reset, after charging for a while with a charger first. If it's important that you restore it, then try that via your mac later.

There are different ways of doing a reset, depending on what is going on. The link above explains different scenarios.


thanks. it's at the point where when i turn it on - it just says to connect it to a mac to do a restore

then when i connect it to the mac it just always gets stuck at 'your mac is preparing to restore the software on this ipad'


If possible, do a hard reset instead. Reject their question about restoring.


when I hard reset (power + home button), then turn it back on - it says 'support.apple.com/ipad/restore' and has a picture of a cord going into iTunes

_________________
All posts by this account, even those referencing real things, are entirely fictional and are for entertainment purposes only; i.e. very low-quality entertainment. These may contain coarse language and due to their content should not be viewed by anyone


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: iPad won't restore
PostPosted: Thu April 02, 2020 5:35 am 
Offline
User avatar
The Master
 Profile

Joined: Tue September 24, 2013 5:56 pm
Posts: 38198
Location: Different mountains than strat and bodysnatcher.
Sgt. Crackpot wrote:
Throw the ipad in the bin. Buy an android tablet.

Ok Russia


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: iPad won't restore
PostPosted: Thu April 02, 2020 5:39 am 
Offline
User avatar
Posting (live)
 Profile

Joined: Sun September 15, 2013 5:50 am
Posts: 18886
i already have a new iPad en route

i can't live on lockdown without an iphone, ipad, macbook air, and imac

the horror

_________________
All posts by this account, even those referencing real things, are entirely fictional and are for entertainment purposes only; i.e. very low-quality entertainment. These may contain coarse language and due to their content should not be viewed by anyone


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: iPad won't restore
PostPosted: Thu April 02, 2020 5:39 am 
Offline
User avatar
Posting (live)
 Profile

Joined: Sun September 15, 2013 5:50 am
Posts: 18886
now all the apple stores are closed too because China

_________________
All posts by this account, even those referencing real things, are entirely fictional and are for entertainment purposes only; i.e. very low-quality entertainment. These may contain coarse language and due to their content should not be viewed by anyone


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: iPad won't restore
PostPosted: Thu April 02, 2020 5:39 am 
Offline
User avatar
Posting (live)
 Profile

Joined: Sun September 15, 2013 5:50 am
Posts: 18886
oh fuck i wonder if my new iPad is coming from China

_________________
All posts by this account, even those referencing real things, are entirely fictional and are for entertainment purposes only; i.e. very low-quality entertainment. These may contain coarse language and due to their content should not be viewed by anyone


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: iPad won't restore
PostPosted: Thu April 02, 2020 5:40 am 
Offline
User avatar
Posting (live)
 Profile

Joined: Sun September 15, 2013 5:50 am
Posts: 18886
it says it will arrive tomorrow so can't possibly be coming from Jina

_________________
All posts by this account, even those referencing real things, are entirely fictional and are for entertainment purposes only; i.e. very low-quality entertainment. These may contain coarse language and due to their content should not be viewed by anyone


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: iPad won't restore
PostPosted: Thu April 02, 2020 5:40 am 
Offline
User avatar
Posting (live)
 Profile

Joined: Sun September 15, 2013 5:50 am
Posts: 18886
Thanks Anders for the advice - I appreciate the offers of help

_________________
All posts by this account, even those referencing real things, are entirely fictional and are for entertainment purposes only; i.e. very low-quality entertainment. These may contain coarse language and due to their content should not be viewed by anyone


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: iPad won't restore
PostPosted: Thu April 02, 2020 5:41 am 
Offline
User avatar
Looks Like a Cat
 Profile

Joined: Fri July 12, 2013 9:11 pm
Posts: 13083
Location: Oslo, Norway
96583UP wrote:
Anders wrote:
96583UP wrote:
Anders wrote:
https://setapp.com/how-to/reset-ipad

I would try doing a full reset, after charging for a while with a charger first. If it's important that you restore it, then try that via your mac later.

There are different ways of doing a reset, depending on what is going on. The link above explains different scenarios.


thanks. it's at the point where when i turn it on - it just says to connect it to a mac to do a restore

then when i connect it to the mac it just always gets stuck at 'your mac is preparing to restore the software on this ipad'


If possible, do a hard reset instead. Reject their question about restoring.


when I hard reset (power + home button), then turn it back on - it says 'support.apple.com/ipad/restore' and has a picture of a cord going into iTunes


This is what is says there: If you still see the Restore screen after you restart, you need to reinstall iOS or iPadOS:

On your Mac, make sure that you’ve installed the latest software updates (including iTunes if you have MacOS Mojave or earlier).
Connect your device to your computer using the cable that came with your device. You should see this message: "There's a problem with the [your device name] that requires it to be updated or restored."
Click Update (not Restore) to reinstall iOS or iPadOS and keep your personal data.


Top
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 28 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Board index » Help, Help » Technical Support


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 4 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
It is currently Fri September 18, 2020 2:25 pm