The board's server will undergo upgrade maintenance tonight, Nov 5, 2014, beginning approximately around 10 PM ET. Prepare for some possible down time during this process.
FAQ    Search

Board index » Help, Help » Technical Support

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 160 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 8  Next
 Post subject: Re: iTunes is a Dick!
PostPosted: Wed December 25, 2013 11:44 am 
Misplaced My Sponge

I don't usually use iTunes, but I'm stuck with my lady's macbook, so here I am. Is there some sort of system for prioritizing downloads? I purchased a show via the apple TV, which I am now downloading locally to the macbook. I am about halfway in to the season, and so I have no interest in downloading the episodes I have already watched and yet I am now downloading them all simultaneously. Additionally, the store/ purchased files distinction could be clearer. For instance, I click on the particular episode I want to watch while its downloading and it shows me a clip from the store. If its a show I own, why on earth would I want to watch a seven second clip?

Yeah, no. Fuck you apple. Steam is in almost all regards superior to you. I doubt that steam/valves legal team is nearly as competent as Samsung's. Just go ahead and steal their UI and you might just get away with it. In doing so, you would end up with a rather more streamlined user experience. Different content on different devices using the same account!? Thats just crazy talk!

PostPosted: Wed December 25, 2013 12:13 pm 
Misplaced My Sponge

I currently have access to episodes 2,3,5,7,11, and 13. This makes sense only if prime numbers are favored. Again, a hearty middle finger to the powers that be at iTunes.

PostPosted: Wed December 25, 2013 9:34 pm 
Poster of the Year

Thanks Obama!

PostPosted: Thu December 26, 2013 1:14 am 
10Club Complaint Department

I store my files on externals as data, not through iTunes. It's a pain but has been bearable for 6 odd years. Now however it's seriously pissing me off. The latest version seems to need the file in iTunes in the library to transfer on to an iPod/iPhone. That is I used to be able to transfer from an external on to the iPod thru iTunes without it being in an iTunes library. Not sure if this is a setting I need to update but its annoying.

I may just grab a new 2Tb drive and collate all my music onto one drive, setup a library and only open iTunes when it is connected (again a major pain in the arse)

PostPosted: Wed January 01, 2014 11:23 am 
Misplaced My Sponge

cutuphalfdead wrote:
Thanks Obama!

iTunes still sucks vis a vis steam. For those wondering, railing against the world has a negligible effect on bandwidth, it turns out. Oh, and any of my failures don't result in a million or so being dumped onto medicaid's rolls. Bazinga.

PostPosted: Wed January 01, 2014 6:25 pm 
NYUCK NYUCK NYUCK

simple schoolboy wrote:
Bazinga.

Of course. Of course.

PostPosted: Thu January 02, 2014 12:55 am 
Poster of the Year

I'm having trouble understanding what just happened.

PostPosted: Fri January 10, 2014 8:06 pm 
Future Drummer

From memory, and it's a pain, you have to remove the iTunes executable from your computer and move it to the hard drive. Really, it's easier to leave a sticky note on your computer to reset your library location everytime you reboot your computer. With the invention of NAS/media servers you'd think iTunes would add this to an update.

PostPosted: Mon November 24, 2014 1:43 am 
Guys, I am not a moderator! I swear to God! Why does everyone think I'm a moderator?

So I just changed a shitload of file info in my wife's itunes but now the filename changes wont go across to her ipod when i plug it into the computer. Any suggestions?

PostPosted: Mon November 24, 2014 1:55 am 
The Master

E.H. Ruddock wrote:
So I just changed a shitload of file info in my wife's itunes but now the filename changes wont go across to her ipod when i plug it into the computer. Any suggestions?

Is it just not syncing?

PostPosted: Mon November 24, 2014 3:42 pm 
Guys, I am not a moderator! I swear to God! Why does everyone think I'm a moderator?

LoathedVermin72 wrote:
E.H. Ruddock wrote:

Is it just not syncing?

She manually adds songs to her iPod. Could that be the issue?

PostPosted: Mon November 24, 2014 3:47 pm 
The Master

E.H. Ruddock wrote:
LoathedVermin72 wrote:
E.H. Ruddock wrote:

Is it just not syncing?

It could. The iPod will only automatically update the changes you made if it's set to auto-sync when you plug it in. If she has it set to add songs manually, it won't auto-update any changed info.

PostPosted: Mon November 24, 2014 4:52 pm 

LoathedVermin72 wrote:
E.H. Ruddock wrote:
LoathedVermin72 wrote:
E.H. Ruddock wrote:

Is it just not syncing?

It could. The iPod will only automatically update the changes you made if it's set to auto-sync when you plug it in. If she has it set to add songs manually, it won't auto-update any changed info.

iTunes is a Dick!

PostPosted: Mon January 12, 2015 2:59 pm 
Troglodyte
 WWW  Profile

LetMeSleep wrote:
I store my files on externals as data, not through iTunes. It's a pain but has been bearable for 6 odd years. Now however it's seriously pissing me off. The latest version seems to need the file in iTunes in the library to transfer on to an iPod/iPhone. That is I used to be able to transfer from an external on to the iPod thru iTunes without it being in an iTunes library. Not sure if this is a setting I need to update but its annoying.

I may just grab a new 2Tb drive and collate all my music onto one drive, setup a library and only open iTunes when it is connected (again a major pain in the arse)

For what it's worth, I did this, but I installed iTunes onto the external drive as well. Sometimes I opened iTunes when the drive was unplugged, so iTunes recreated a new library in My Music and started dropping CD rips and podcasts there before I realized what I had done.

Putting iTunes on the external drive might slow things down a little, but it makes it impossible to open iTunes without the external drive plugged in.

PostPosted: Thu February 26, 2015 1:37 pm 

so my stepson's (older) iPod touch says it needs to be restored. When I plug in to itunes and go through the process, it comes up with error 1603, which says it is a usb error. I've tried on 4 different computers and with about 10 different ipod cables. Is the error in the iPod port? The internet has been no help so far either. Thanks internet.

PostPosted: Thu February 26, 2015 1:37 pm 

Sarge, PM me your address. I'll just mail it to you and you can fix it. I'll pay you. :naughty:

PostPosted: Fri February 27, 2015 2:50 am 
F.U.B.A.R
 WWW  Profile

Put your device into recovery mode, via these steps:

1) Turn off your device and leave it off.

2) Plug in your device's USB cable to a computer with iTunes.

3) Hold down the Home button on your device as you connect the USB cable. Keep holding down the Home button until you see the Connect to iTunes screen.

4) When you see this screen, release the Home button. If you don't see this screen, try steps 1 through 3 again.

5) When your device is connected, iTunes will open. You'll see a message saying that iTunes has detected an iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch in recovery mode.

6) Use iTunes to restore your device. Restoring in recovery mode will erase your device. If you previously synced with iTunes or iCloud, you might be able to restore from your backup.

7) If none of the above steps are successful, throw the device in the appropriate trash receptacle.

PostPosted: Fri February 27, 2015 3:22 am 

Yeah it does the whole restore thing then gives me the error. Trash can it is!

PostPosted: Fri February 27, 2015 3:30 am 
F.U.B.A.R
 WWW  Profile

E.H. Ruddock wrote:
Yeah it does the whole restore thing then gives me the error. Trash can it is!

This may or may not help too: http://support.apple.com/kb/TA38603

PostPosted: Fri February 27, 2015 3:56 am 

Thanks, will try tomorrow

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 160 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 8  Next

Board index » Help, Help » Technical Support