The board's server will undergo upgrade maintenance tonight, Nov 5, 2014, beginning approximately around 10 PM ET. Prepare for some possible down time during this process.
FAQ    Search

Board index » Help, Help » Technical Support

Post subject: Wifi boosters
PostPosted: Sat September 08, 2018 6:23 pm 
Banned from the Pit

In our rental house I don't have the option of moving our router to a more central location. It's in the front left of the house and our Roku/YoutubeTV in the bedroom towards the back of the house gets poor reception. Just ran a speed test. Download speed in the front living room where the router is is 58.1mbps and in the bedroom by the tv is 0.40mbps. This explains the shitty reception. Any tips/recommendations on how to improve this signal? I have a small booster in the bedroom but that obviously isn't working well.

Post subject: Re: Wifi boosters
PostPosted: Sat September 08, 2018 8:40 pm 
F.U.B.A.R
 WWW  Profile

I had similar issues in me place. A booster/extender helped a little. I ended up getting a decent wifi router (one with 4 antennas) and it resolved all the issues.

PostPosted: Sun September 09, 2018 12:22 am 
NEVER STOP JAMMING!

what kind of router Sarge? I got one of those netflix boosters and it works but annoying that i have to click onto the _EXT network to use it

All posts by this account, even those referencing real things, are entirely fictional and are for entertainment purposes only; i.e. very low-quality entertainment. These may contain coarse language and due to their content should not be viewed by anyone

PostPosted: Sun September 09, 2018 3:37 am 
F.U.B.A.R
 WWW  Profile

96583UP wrote:
what kind of router Sarge? I got one of those netflix boosters and it works but annoying that i have to click onto the _EXT network to use it

This one

It's purely a router, so it needs to plugin to your existing modem.

I prefer it that way anyway. It allows the wifi to do it's job (which is high demand in our house now with the kids using wifi devices) and the modem can concentrate on maintaining a fast and stable connection. That's a tough job considering our government's half assed job of "improving" our infrastructure.

This thing has a strong signal which gives strong coverage of the whole house and outside, through multiple double brick walls.

There are more powerful units out there, but this one is perfect for our scenario.

PostPosted: Mon September 10, 2018 2:14 am 
NEVER STOP JAMMING!

impressive

All posts by this account, even those referencing real things, are entirely fictional and are for entertainment purposes only; i.e. very low-quality entertainment. These may contain coarse language and due to their content should not be viewed by anyone

PostPosted: Mon September 10, 2018 3:21 am 
Rank This Poster

I know it sounds like a pain in the ass but if you have access to your attic, running coax from an outlet to another location can be a fairly easy process.

I did it in about 45 minutes. I fed a line to the bottom of an A/C vent at the top of my kitchen cabinets (central to the whole house and where no one can see it), then attached a weight at the other end and fed it down the wall with the active cable/internet line. I did it without having to cut drywall.

Obviously, this is dependent on whether you want your landlord to agree or just ask for forgiveness if they find out afterward.

PostPosted: Tue September 11, 2018 1:21 am 
Banned from the Pit

Thanks, looks like I need a better multi-antennae router. I did order the free Roku HDMI extender so I'll give that a shot before dropping the money on the router.

PostPosted: Tue September 11, 2018 1:36 am 
NEVER STOP JAMMING!

i ordered the same router as Sarge. i will keep you posted on the results.

if all goes well, my next move will be to break into his house and place cut-outs of my face in all of their family photos over top of his wife's

PostPosted: Tue September 11, 2018 3:42 am 
F.U.B.A.R
 WWW  Profile

I'll leave a key under the mat for you.

PostPosted: Sun September 16, 2018 2:39 am 
NEVER STOP JAMMING!

this router is baller af

:hooray:

now i can download movies to the shed behind my house

PostPosted: Sun September 16, 2018 3:10 am 
F.U.B.A.R
 WWW  Profile

:nice:

Board index » Help, Help » Technical Support