Switch to full style
Post a reply

Subwoofer Question

Sat September 01, 2018 11:50 pm

OK, I have a subwoofer from an old Samsung DVD player/surround system kit. I'd like to hook it up to my new receiver.

The subwoofer output from the receiver is a single RCA plug. The input into the subwooder is two sets of speaker wires. How do I make this work?

Can I just buy an adapter and plug that into one of the speaker wire inputs on the subwoofer? Do I need an amplifier? If I have an amplifier, do I still need two sets of speaker wires?

Re: Subwoofer Question

Sat September 01, 2018 11:52 pm

just buy speakers with better frequency response and forgo the subwoofer all together

Sun September 02, 2018 1:13 am

Frequency response. Check.

What's that?

Sun September 02, 2018 3:25 am

Is the subwoofer self-powered?

Sun September 02, 2018 1:47 pm

You'll wire speaker cables from your receiver to the sub, then wire cables from the sub to your main speakers.

You may be fucked if the sub uses some weird proprietary cabling system, however.

Sun September 02, 2018 1:49 pm

"I don't know how to hook up my subwoofer, please play Help, Help in Boston!"

Sun September 02, 2018 2:30 pm

Sgt. Crackpot wrote:Is the subwoofer self-powered?

No, it is not.

Sun September 02, 2018 2:33 pm

run2death wrote:You'll wire speaker cables from your receiver to the sub, then wire cables from the sub to your main speakers.

I can't do that b/c the subwoofer output in the receiver is RCA. I can buy RCA/speaker wire adapters, but i'm guessing it won't work with an unpowered subwoofer and an ignored set of speaker wire inputs on the subwoofer.

Sun September 02, 2018 2:47 pm

The sub out on the receiver is really optional.

Wire it the way I told you above. The speaker outputs will send all the sound frequencies to the sub, it will take the low frequencies and play them, then send the mids and highs to the speakers you have wired to the sub.

Sun September 02, 2018 5:06 pm

tragabigzanda wrote:"I don't know how to hook up my subwoofer, please play Help, Help in Boston!"

:haha:

Or anything from lost dogs

:thisisfine:

Mon September 03, 2018 10:43 pm

run2death wrote:The sub out on the receiver is really optional.

Wire it the way I told you above. The speaker outputs will send all the sound frequencies to the sub, it will take the low frequencies and play them, then send the mids and highs to the speakers you have wired to the sub.

OK. But this sounds like an explosion waiting to happen.

Tue September 04, 2018 2:54 pm

B wrote:
run2death wrote:The sub out on the receiver is really optional.

OK. But this sounds like an explosion waiting to happen.

He's right, B.

Wed September 05, 2018 6:28 pm

Does B really think he's gonna blow up his house with a receiver and speaker wires?

Wed September 05, 2018 11:15 pm

No.

Sun September 16, 2018 7:26 pm

I never thought this would explode, but I did expect it to fail. Turns out, it worked perfectly. Thanks, r2d.
Post a reply