The board's server will undergo upgrade maintenance tonight, Nov 5, 2014, beginning approximately around 10 PM ET. Prepare for some possible down time during this process.
FAQ    Search

Board index » Word on the Street » General Discussion

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 447 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23  Next

Are you tanked?
Yes 29%  29%  [ 6 ]
No 71%  71%  [ 15 ]
Total votes : 21
 Post subject: Re: The Sobriety Thread
PostPosted: Wed November 15, 2017 2:24 am 
The Master

daft twat wrote:
I wanted to drink tonight badly. I came close to going out for a bottle, actually. I had convinced myself a small bottle would be okay. It's been 6 weeks. I earned a couple nights of numbing myself and falling asleep. I wound up petting the dog for a bit instead.

I think the worst part is I don't feel any happier. If anything, I'm less happy. I enjoyed drinking in the evenings. It's one of the few things I did enjoy. Maybe tomorrow.

Have you given up completely? Forgive me if i missed something.

PostPosted: Wed November 15, 2017 2:25 am 
The Master

Strat wrote:
daft twat wrote:
I wanted to drink tonight badly. I came close to going out for a bottle, actually. I had convinced myself a small bottle would be okay. It's been 6 weeks. I earned a couple nights of numbing myself and falling asleep. I wound up petting the dog for a bit instead.

I think the worst part is I don't feel any happier. If anything, I'm less happy. I enjoyed drinking in the evenings. It's one of the few things I did enjoy. Maybe tomorrow.

i forgive you

PostPosted: Wed November 15, 2017 2:27 am 
NEVER STOP JAMMING!

lennytheweedwhacker wrote:
Strat wrote:
daft twat wrote:

i forgive you

lol

PostPosted: Wed November 15, 2017 2:30 am 
The Master

Thanks Lenny!

PostPosted: Wed November 15, 2017 2:38 am 
NEVER STOP JAMMING!

Strat wrote:
Thanks Lenny!

you don't get it.

PostPosted: Wed November 15, 2017 2:23 pm 
Worst Moderator

daft twat wrote:

Great. Now I feel like that beer I had with you when you were here at the beach contributed to something bad. Sorry. Good luck in your sobriety.

PostPosted: Wed December 06, 2017 3:25 pm 
NEVER STOP JAMMING!

I've been getting high and binging on The Eric Andre Show. :(

PostPosted: Sun December 10, 2017 9:02 am 
Posting (live)

Since I'm on meds for my back thing, I haven't had any grog for over a week. Going to try to keep it going til our Mexico trip on the 22nd, though I do have my wife's holiday party Thursday. Can't really get through that sober.

PostPosted: Sun December 10, 2017 4:22 pm 
The Master

Was contemplating not enjoying a couple beers during the Vikings game at 11 so i can maybe get some exercise after. This could be tough.

PostPosted: Fri April 27, 2018 5:34 am 
Mind Your Tanners

Been on antibiotics and pain meds since Tuesday and will go for a week without alcohol. I can't remember the last time I didn't at least have a glass of wine or light beer after work.

PostPosted: Fri April 27, 2018 5:53 am 
"You kids quit having fun with the word filter!"

I think I've only gotten drunk three or four times this year.

PostPosted: Fri April 27, 2018 6:18 am 
An enigma of a man shaped hole in the wall between reality and the soul of the devil.

I can't wait to finish this project so I can start drinking again. It's been a couple years.

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2018 5:05 pm 
NEVER STOP JAMMING!

So I've been trending towards a far more sober lifestyle, somewhere between the urban dictionary definition of "soberish" and stone-cold sober...

I took January off from smoking pot and it felt great; used casually in Feb-March and it felt shitty; quit again in April and actually threw all my paraphernalia away. Apart from a couple isolated incidents of feeling like "man I am really annoyed right now, I would love to get stoned," I have not missed it in the slightest.

And now I'm starting to lose my taste for drinking too. It has shifted from feeling like an uplifting intoxicant to a depressive (which I know alcohol is). I can feel my energy and senses being dulled before my first drink is even done.

It's not that I have any sort of overt addiction problem, or don't know how to say when, it's just that the act of becoming inebriated has begun to feel sort of hollow, and extremely boring.

My biggest challenge is navigating those times when I'm expected to be social with a large group of people, and don't really have the energy to keep up; that's when I find myself reaching for a glass of something even though I don't actually have the desire for it.

I'm not about to proclaim "I'm sober forever!", but I think I'm headed down the path my dad found many years ago: one or two drinks on special occasions, and not much interest beyond that. I just feel like there's so much more for me to tackle in life, and taking downers contributes to this cyclical effect of me saying "Well, now I'm a little groggy from using last night, so I'll dive into this new book (or whatever) once I shake the cobwebs off..."

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2018 5:21 pm 
The Master

tragabigzanda wrote:
So I've been trending towards a far more sober lifestyle, somewhere between the urban dictionary definition of "soberish" and stone-cold sober...

I took January off from smoking pot and it felt great; used casually in Feb-March and it felt shitty; quit again in April and actually threw all my paraphernalia away. Apart from a couple isolated incidents of feeling like "man I am really annoyed right now, I would love to get stoned," I have not missed it in the slightest.

And now I'm starting to lose my taste for drinking too. It has shifted from feeling like an uplifting intoxicant to a depressive (which I know alcohol is). I can feel my energy and senses being dulled before my first drink is even done.

It's not that I have any sort of overt addiction problem, or don't know how to say when, it's just that the act of becoming inebriated has begun to feel sort of hollow, and extremely boring.

My biggest challenge is navigating those times when I'm expected to be social with a large group of people, and don't really have the energy to keep up; that's when I find myself reaching for a glass of something even though I don't actually have the desire for it.

I'm not about to proclaim "I'm sober forever!", but I think I'm headed down the path my dad found many years ago: one or two drinks on special occasions, and not much interest beyond that. I just feel like there's so much more for me to tackle in life, and taking downers contributes to this cyclical effect of me saying "Well, now I'm a little groggy from using last night, so I'll dive into this new book (or whatever) once I shake the cobwebs off..."

Im absolutely heading towards this path as well. Or, at the very least, becoming much more aware of the even minor impact of having a drink or two and allowing that to influence my decision. When I originally moved to Colorado it was all about the ability to really "earn my drink" at the end of the day. That would typically coincide with hiking 8-16 miles, or skiing for 5 hours, or some other random exhausting adventure.

I moved away from that as time wore on and a drink or 5 at the end of the day would just be the thing I did. As I've gotten older and my metabolism has slowed down, become more busy as an "adult", I am realizing that just a couple drinks can really throw off my ability to manage my time better. I sleep a little bit later, harder to get out of bed, a little less focused, and digestion slows down.

Im getting back to the point where I feel i need to earn that drink at the end of the day and it really comes down to enjoying some good wine during dinner, and a whisky night cap rather than working a buzz before dinner and thus not eating till 830-930.

As long as I get my exercise in during the morning or subsequent hours, im fine with enjoying a relaxing evening at home with my gal. And of course, random social occassions enjoying drinks.

tl;dr: The older i get, the less i drink.

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2018 5:22 pm 
The Master

Oh, and definitely much less beer.

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2018 5:29 pm 
NEVER STOP JAMMING!

Strat wrote:
becoming much more aware of the even minor impact of having a drink or two and allowing that to influence my decision. When I originally moved to Colorado it was all about the ability to really "earn my drink" at the end of the day. That would typically coincide with hiking 8-16 miles, or skiing for 5 hours, or some other random exhausting adventure.

Boy did you say a mouthful here. It really is such a huge part of the mountain culture: Go break a sweat all day, then get fucked up! We dove right in at first, but three years later and it's super unfulfilling. I'd rather break a sweat and then try to exercise my brain after, you know?

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2018 5:33 pm 
The Master

tragabigzanda wrote:
Strat wrote:
becoming much more aware of the even minor impact of having a drink or two and allowing that to influence my decision. When I originally moved to Colorado it was all about the ability to really "earn my drink" at the end of the day. That would typically coincide with hiking 8-16 miles, or skiing for 5 hours, or some other random exhausting adventure.

Boy did you say a mouthful here. It really is such a huge part of the mountain culture: Go break a sweat all day, then get fucked up! We dove right in at first, but three years later and it's super unfulfilling. I'd rather break a sweat and then try to exercise my brain after, you know?

Break a sweat, then a few drinks and a wonderful meal prepared by me and me lady. That is my ideal weekend day. Books and sobriety during the week.

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2018 5:35 pm 
NEVER STOP JAMMING!

Strat wrote:
tragabigzanda wrote:
Strat wrote:

Break a sweat, then a few drinks and a wonderful meal prepared by me and me lady. That is my ideal weekend day. Books and sobriety during the week.

Yeah, we are also trending towards "drinks on weekends, tea on weeknights."

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2018 5:35 pm 
Fake NYC Setlist Relayer
 WWW  Profile

Yeah, I've reached a pretty good balance that seems to be working well for me: sober on weekdays, free to drink on weekends, but not so much that I get a hangover.

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2018 5:39 pm 
NEVER STOP JAMMING!

ugh we are so lame. Let's go get smashed to prove how old we aren't!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 447 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23  Next

Board index » Word on the Street » General Discussion