The board's server will undergo upgrade maintenance tonight, Nov 5, 2014, beginning approximately around 10 PM ET. Prepare for some possible down time during this process.
FAQ    Search

Board index » Word on the Street » General Discussion




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 108 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Can the mods actually help me out with this?
Yes 58%  58%  [ 7 ]
No 42%  42%  [ 5 ]
Total votes : 12
Author Message
 Post subject: Mods you need to reinstate 3 letter searches because I canno
PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2017 6:30 am 
Offline
User avatar
NEVER STOP JAMMING!
 Profile

Joined: Tue January 01, 2013 11:46 pm
Posts: 22240
t do a vanity search and I think that should be my right. Please bros? What is the deal with this anyway?

_________________
Kanye West wrote:
They told me I was in a sunken place.


Last edited by Dev on Tue May 30, 2017 6:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Mods you need to reinstate 3 letter searches because I c
PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2017 6:39 am 
Offline
User avatar
The Master
 Profile

Joined: Wed January 02, 2013 3:21 pm
Posts: 53955
heck yes bring it back

_________________
run2death wrote:
Len, I would seriously come and see you if you were a bit closer than Yuma.

6 hours roundtrip is a little much for freaking Yuma.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Mods you need to reinstate 3 letter searches because I c
PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2017 6:40 am 
Offline
User avatar
NEVER STOP JAMMING!
 Profile

Joined: Tue January 01, 2013 11:46 pm
Posts: 22240
lennytheweedwhacker wrote:
heck yes bring it back

ALed

_________________
Kanye West wrote:
They told me I was in a sunken place.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Mods you need to reinstate 3 letter searches because I c
PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2017 11:04 am 
Offline
User avatar
post-structuralist
 Profile

Joined: Tue January 01, 2013 2:22 pm
Posts: 15563
Location: faked by jorge
please stop with the unnecessary polls that accompany all your threads

_________________
Dev wrote:
you're delusional. you are a sad sad person. fuck off. you're mentally ill beyond repair. i don't need your shit. dissapear.

Spoiler: show
people change. people stay the same. people are so often disappointing - random PM, person unnamed


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Mods you need to reinstate 3 letter searches because I c
PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2017 12:15 pm 
Offline
User avatar
AnalLog
 Profile

Joined: Thu January 03, 2013 9:34 pm
Posts: 1589
Make it two.
I cant search "KL".

_________________
bodysnatcher wrote:
Someone ban KurtLeon please


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Mods you need to reinstate 3 letter searches because I c
PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2017 12:27 pm 
Offline
User avatar
F.U.B.A.R
 WWW  Profile

Joined: Wed July 03, 2013 11:21 pm
Posts: 16467
Location: Lft Craquepeau
Back during one of those periods when the board was breaking, it was because of the original (archaic) search method slamming the overblown RM board database, everytime a search was actioned.

The newer search method, which is far less load intensive, only supports a minimum of 4 characters. Unfortunately it's not possible to reinstate the original method, unless you're happy to have the board breaking every 10 seconds.

Oh, but if you ask certain posters around here, I was breaking the board on purpose. You know, for glory and stuff. Because glory on a dying internet forum is something worth going to a that hassle for.

Sorry Dev & Kurt.

_________________
Rangi Guy wrote:
So skating back to the train station after work today things went wrong.....now my skateboard is at the bottom of the harbour :(


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Mods you need to reinstate 3 letter searches because I c
PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2017 12:34 pm 
Offline
User avatar
post-structuralist
 Profile

Joined: Tue January 01, 2013 2:22 pm
Posts: 15563
Location: faked by jorge
Sgt. Crackpot wrote:
Back during one of those periods when the board was breaking, it was because of the original (archaic) search method slamming the overblown RM board database, everytime a search was actioned.

The newer search method, which is far less load intensive, only supports a minimum of 4 characters. Unfortunately it's not possible to reinstate the original method, unless you're happy to have the board breaking every 10 seconds.

Oh, but if you ask certain posters around here, I was breaking the board on purpose. You know, for glory and stuff. Because glory on a dying internet forum is something worth going to a that hassle for.

Sorry Dev & Kurt.

see, if it was me updating the coding, I'd definitely be breaking the board for glory. I'm an angry bitch though. I want dev to suffer from lack of board functionality

_________________
Dev wrote:
you're delusional. you are a sad sad person. fuck off. you're mentally ill beyond repair. i don't need your shit. dissapear.

Spoiler: show
people change. people stay the same. people are so often disappointing - random PM, person unnamed


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Mods you need to reinstate 3 letter searches because I c
PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2017 12:40 pm 
Online
User avatar
Misplaced My Sponge
 Profile

Joined: Fri July 12, 2013 9:11 pm
Posts: 6576
Location: Oslo, Norway
What if you search for: "dev*"


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Mods you need to reinstate 3 letter searches because I c
PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2017 12:42 pm 
Offline
User avatar
F.U.B.A.R
 WWW  Profile

Joined: Wed July 03, 2013 11:21 pm
Posts: 16467
Location: Lft Craquepeau
malice wrote:
Sgt. Crackpot wrote:
Back during one of those periods when the board was breaking, it was because of the original (archaic) search method slamming the overblown RM board database, everytime a search was actioned.

The newer search method, which is far less load intensive, only supports a minimum of 4 characters. Unfortunately it's not possible to reinstate the original method, unless you're happy to have the board breaking every 10 seconds.

Oh, but if you ask certain posters around here, I was breaking the board on purpose. You know, for glory and stuff. Because glory on a dying internet forum is something worth going to a that hassle for.

Sorry Dev & Kurt.

see, if it was me updating the coding, I'd definitely be breaking the board for glory. I'm an angry bitch though. I want dev to suffer from lack of board functionality

I have no qualms with Dev, he's a good guy in my book.

If I really wanted to purposely break the board for no reason, I'd create unnecessary subforums.

_________________
Rangi Guy wrote:
So skating back to the train station after work today things went wrong.....now my skateboard is at the bottom of the harbour :(


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Mods you need to reinstate 3 letter searches because I c
PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2017 12:43 pm 
Offline
User avatar
F.U.B.A.R
 WWW  Profile

Joined: Wed July 03, 2013 11:21 pm
Posts: 16467
Location: Lft Craquepeau
Anders wrote:
What if you search for: "dev*"

Device, development, devastating, deviants, developed, devises, etc.

_________________
Rangi Guy wrote:
So skating back to the train station after work today things went wrong.....now my skateboard is at the bottom of the harbour :(


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Mods you need to reinstate 3 letter searches because I c
PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2017 2:06 pm 
Offline
Rank This Poster
 Profile

Joined: Thu April 21, 2016 12:19 am
Posts: 3957
Sgt. Crackpot wrote:
Back during one of those periods when the board was breaking, it was because of the original (archaic) search method slamming the overblown RM board database, everytime a search was actioned.

The newer search method, which is far less load intensive, only supports a minimum of 4 characters. Unfortunately it's not possible to reinstate the original method, unless you're happy to have the board breaking every 10 seconds.

Oh, but if you ask certain posters around here, I was breaking the board on purpose. You know, for glory and stuff. Because glory on a dying internet forum is something worth going to a that hassle for.

Sorry Dev & Kurt.


:heartbeat:


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Mods you need to reinstate 3 letter searches because I c
PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2017 2:19 pm 
Online
User avatar
"You kids quit having fun with the word filter!"
 Profile

Joined: Tue January 01, 2013 3:35 pm
Posts: 33539
Location: Buenos Aires
The two things I don't like about the "new" search tool is it has a really low threshold for what constitutes a "common" word, and that if you search for a username as a keyword (say, for example, "theplatypus") it pulls up quoted posts as well as regular mentions, which didn't used to happen before. Also I don't think anyone actually believes you broke the board on purpose.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Mods you need to reinstate 3 letter searches because I c
PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2017 2:20 pm 
Offline
User avatar
Worst Moderator
 Profile

Joined: Tue January 01, 2013 2:48 pm
Posts: 52466
theplatypus wrote:
The two things I don't like about the "new" search tool is it has a really low threshold for what constitutes a "common" word, and that if you search for a username as a keyword (say, for example, "theplatypus") it pulls up quoted posts as well as regular mentions, which didn't used to happen before. Also I don't think anyone really believes you broke the board on purpose.

I think Skitch does

_________________
Clouuuuds Rolll byyy...BANG BANG BANG BANG


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Mods you need to reinstate 3 letter searches because I c
PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2017 2:31 pm 
Online
User avatar
"You kids quit having fun with the word filter!"
 Profile

Joined: Tue January 01, 2013 3:35 pm
Posts: 33539
Location: Buenos Aires
He doesn't


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Mods you need to reinstate 3 letter searches because I c
PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2017 2:37 pm 
Offline
User avatar
The Master
 Profile

Joined: Tue January 01, 2013 2:04 pm
Posts: 52105
Location: Sector 7-G
Yeah no one believes that. It was just fun to perpetuate the myth.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Mods you need to reinstate 3 letter searches because I c
PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2017 2:40 pm 
Offline
User avatar
Legacy of Love
 WWW  Profile

Joined: Tue January 01, 2013 5:33 pm
Posts: 67584
Location: The applebees on haggerty.
What's a vanity search?


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Mods you need to reinstate 3 letter searches because I c
PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2017 2:51 pm 
Online
User avatar
"You kids quit having fun with the word filter!"
 Profile

Joined: Tue January 01, 2013 3:35 pm
Posts: 33539
Location: Buenos Aires
durdencommatyler wrote:
What's a vanity search?

If you had to take a guess based only on the information laid out in this thread so far, what would you say it is?


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Mods you need to reinstate 3 letter searches because I c
PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2017 2:52 pm 
Offline
User avatar
Legacy of Love
 WWW  Profile

Joined: Tue January 01, 2013 5:33 pm
Posts: 67584
Location: The applebees on haggerty.
theplatypus wrote:
durdencommatyler wrote:
What's a vanity search?

If you had to take a guess based only on the information laid out in this thread so far, what would you say it is?

Something dev uses to masturbate?


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Mods you need to reinstate 3 letter searches because I c
PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2017 2:53 pm 
Offline
User avatar
The Master
 Profile

Joined: Tue January 01, 2013 2:04 pm
Posts: 52105
Location: Sector 7-G
durdencommatyler wrote:
theplatypus wrote:
durdencommatyler wrote:
What's a vanity search?

If you had to take a guess based only on the information laid out in this thread so far, what would you say it is?

Something dev uses to masturbate?

that's actually correct


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Mods you need to reinstate 3 letter searches because I c
PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2017 2:53 pm 
Offline
User avatar
Legacy of Love
 WWW  Profile

Joined: Tue January 01, 2013 5:33 pm
Posts: 67584
Location: The applebees on haggerty.
cutuphalfdead wrote:
durdencommatyler wrote:
theplatypus wrote:
durdencommatyler wrote:
What's a vanity search?

If you had to take a guess based only on the information laid out in this thread so far, what would you say it is?

Something dev uses to masturbate?

that's actually correct

See, Jorge, I know things.


Top
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 108 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Board index » Word on the Street » General Discussion


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: BDB, bodysnatcher, Monkey_Driven, Rangi Guy, Simple Torture, theplatypus, wease and 5 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
It is currently Tue December 18, 2018 8:13 pm