The board's server will undergo upgrade maintenance tonight, Nov 5, 2014, beginning approximately around 10 PM ET. Prepare for some possible down time during this process.
FAQ    Search

Board index » Word on the Street » General Discussion

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 187 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 10  Next
 Post subject: Stocks & Investments Thread
PostPosted: Sat October 15, 2016 12:34 pm 
The Master

Where do you guys get your financial news?
What platform are you using for trading?

I am hoping to start making some small investments with the company's money, but have no experience in this world. I'd like to find a site like Ameritrade or E-Trade and keep my eye on things for a couple months before actually making any purchases.

Post subject: Re: Stocks & Investments Thread
PostPosted: Sat October 15, 2016 12:42 pm 
The Master

Sorry, follow up question:

Is there a way on any of these platforms to sort stocks by industries? Or how else can I quickly suss out what stock codes are for manufacturing, tech, medicine, etc?

PostPosted: Sat October 15, 2016 5:21 pm 
NEVER STOP JAMMING!

I used to do research for a guy. The stock market is complicated. I don't even want to think about it.

PostPosted: Sun October 16, 2016 1:21 am 
Misplaced My Sponge

tragabigzanda wrote:
Where do you guys get your financial news?

Facebook

PostPosted: Sun October 16, 2016 1:40 am 
The Master

I suck at this shit.

PostPosted: Sun October 16, 2016 2:05 am 
An enigma of a man shaped hole in the wall between reality and the soul of the devil.

I drained my paltry 401k last year. That's about all I know.

PostPosted: Sun October 16, 2016 2:07 am 
The Master

RM is going to die in debt, except maybe for doug.

PostPosted: Sun October 16, 2016 2:13 am 
The Master

BurtReynolds wrote:
I drained my paltry 401k last year. That's about all I know.

Been there

PostPosted: Sun October 16, 2016 4:28 am 
An enigma of a man shaped hole in the wall between reality and the soul of the devil.

tragabigzanda wrote:
RM is going to die in debt, except maybe for doug.

I flunked out of school early on, so luckily I didn't run up a huge debt. Probably the best thing I ever did, really.

PostPosted: Sun October 16, 2016 4:49 am 
Future Drummer

I am blindly contributing money to a 403b. I don't really pay attention to it, but I'll be 40 next time my birthday comes around, so that might sober me up a bit.

On the bright side, we bought a modest house just before the bubble burst 11 years ago for 257k, and we're down to owing only 50k. In 2 years, I'll be able to say fuck off to more people with conviction.

PostPosted: Sun October 16, 2016 10:56 am 
The Master

The Rich Dad, Poor Dad book is blowing my mind. He advises to accrue money-generating assets -- businesses, vacation rentals, stocks, bonds, etc -- rather than houses and cars, which he considers liabilities. It's making us re-think our entire approach to finances.

PostPosted: Sun October 16, 2016 11:29 am 
RM Elitist

Canned food and shotguns.

PostPosted: Sun October 16, 2016 2:45 pm 
Misplaced My Sponge

tragabigzanda wrote:
The Rich Dad, Poor Dad book is blowing my mind. He advises to accrue money-generating assets -- businesses, vacation rentals, stocks, bonds, etc -- rather than houses and cars, which he considers liabilities. It's making us re-think our entire approach to finances.

Hmmm.

Over the long haul what is the percentage of a business closing vs. a house losing value... To buy a business over a house seems pretty risky, better be a damn solid business.

As for vacation rentals, also hmmm... Better choose a place that you know people will never stop visiting no matter the state of the economy.

PS - It blows your mind for a car to be considered a liability as opposed to a money generating asset?

PPS - I haven't it and I'm generalizing, I know.

PostPosted: Sun October 16, 2016 3:35 pm 
Looks Like a Cat

I had a dream once that I bought some beachfront property in a shitty neighborhood, with the idea that it was a good investment because the area was bound to get nicer and I could make some money. I went to a sub shop near the house, and the guy asked me if I wanted a 12-inch or a 13-inch sub. I asked him what the difference was and he held up his thumb and finger about an inch apart from each other and said, "This much." I then realized that this neighborhood was doomed and I had made a bad investment.

PostPosted: Sun October 16, 2016 6:06 pm 
The Master

Can I live in your investment property, Asher?

PostPosted: Sun October 16, 2016 7:42 pm 

The Argonaut wrote:
I had a dream once that I bought some beachfront property in a shitty neighborhood, with the idea that it was a good investment because the area was bound to get nicer and I could make some money. I went to a sub shop near the house, and the guy asked me if I wanted a 12-inch or a 13-inch sub. I asked him what the difference was and he held up his thumb and finger about an inch apart from each other and said, "This much." I then realized that this neighborhood was doomed and I had made a bad investment.

It was a dumb question to ask, Argo. Maybe you shouldn't be in the real estate game.

PostPosted: Sun October 16, 2016 8:46 pm 
The Master

Bammer wrote:
tragabigzanda wrote:

Hmmm.

Over the long haul what is the percentage of a business closing vs. a house losing value... To buy a business over a house seems pretty risky, better be a damn solid business.

As for vacation rentals, also hmmm... Better choose a place that you know people will never stop visiting no matter the state of the economy.

PS - It blows your mind for a car to be considered a liability as opposed to a money generating asset?

PPS - I haven't it and I'm generalizing, I know.

Yea, I guess the trick to investing in money-generating assets is to really kick the tires on the asset. And I'm aware that a "business" can easily become a "job," which may not be ideal.

But yea, viewing a car/house as a liability rather than an asset it an entirely new thought for me. I was raised lower-middle class/lower class/basically poor. My parents didn't teach me any sort of financial management skills; they lived hand-to-mouth. You took out a loan for a house or a vehicle, then paid the loan down by working at a job that you tolerated but didn't love.

Mrs. Trag now makes more than my parents combined in their best year, and she's only 31. And with the investments and grants I've been able to pull together for my business, I'm having to think through this stuff more than ever before. I just did my first quarterly P&L and Income Statement, and it was a good exercise.

I suppose a lot of it goes to your level of risk aversion. I am by nature a risk-taker; Mrs. Trag is extremely risk averse. We are learning to meet at a halfway point of calculated risks. So the conventional approach of 401K, 403(b), mortgage on a home, etc are looking less exciting to us. The ice cream biz turned a 46% profit margin this last summer. Granted, it's a seasonal business in a small market. But we'd like to expand, and would like to find better ROIs for our resources than the conventional options out there.

PostPosted: Sun October 16, 2016 9:40 pm 

I'm taking a "Hail Mary" approach at this point. Invest everything in my business and hope for the best. Get rich or die trying. I doubt I'd reach retirement age anyway.

PostPosted: Mon October 17, 2016 12:18 am 
NEVER STOP JAMMING!

Burt is basically dougrr v2 at this point. hillarious.

PostPosted: Thu October 20, 2016 1:02 am 
Posting (live)

index fundz

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 187 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 10  Next

Board index » Word on the Street » General Discussion