The board's server will undergo upgrade maintenance tonight, Nov 5, 2014, beginning approximately around 10 PM ET. Prepare for some possible down time during this process.
FAQ    Search

Board index » Word on the Street » General Discussion




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 815 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 34, 35, 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41  Next
Author Message
 Post subject: Re: Snow
PostPosted: Thu January 12, 2017 8:12 pm 
Offline
User avatar
Future Drummer
 Profile

Joined: Tue January 01, 2013 3:17 pm
Posts: 3246
Location: right there
cutuphalfdead wrote:
doone wrote:
cutuphalfdead wrote:
It's in the fucking 60s here today.

that's warm

it sure is

Enjoy it for me. It's 10°F with a windchill of -8 here.

_________________
It always has to get a little weird.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Snow
PostPosted: Thu January 12, 2017 8:40 pm 
Online
User avatar
An enigma of a man shaped hole in the wall between reality and the soul of the devil.
 Profile

Joined: Tue January 01, 2013 5:13 pm
Posts: 32906
Location: Donkeys live a long time.
Is there some scientific explanation for why it doesn't feel as cold when it snows than when its dry?

_________________
daft twat wrote:
Saw Coal Chamber 3 or 4 times by accident.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Snow
PostPosted: Thu January 12, 2017 8:43 pm 
Offline
User avatar
NEVER STOP JAMMING!
 Profile

Joined: Tue January 01, 2013 11:46 pm
Posts: 21070
BurtReynolds wrote:
Is there some scientific explanation for why it doesn't feel as cold when it snows than when its dry?

atmosphere is less humid in dry and it makes the cold more biting. Clear atmosphere days tend to be the worst in the winter. If it's snowing there is moisture in the air and it's prob warmer.

_________________
dev radio coming soon


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Snow
PostPosted: Thu January 12, 2017 8:48 pm 
Offline
NEVER STOP JAMMING!
 Profile

Joined: Tue January 01, 2013 3:45 pm
Posts: 21191
Location: the beach
Dev wrote:
BurtReynolds wrote:
Is there some scientific explanation for why it doesn't feel as cold when it snows than when its dry?

atmosphere is less humid in dry and it makes the cold more biting. Clear atmosphere days tend to be the worst in the winter. If it's snowing there is moisture in the air and it's prob warmer.


A little outside your explanation... If the difference is clouds or not, it is because the clouds act as a insulator. It traps the ground heat below the clouds, making it warmer. If there is no clouds, the heat radiates to outer space.
Same temperature, the difference is whether the temperature is rising or falling, it is a combination of you being accustomed to the lower temperature and it feels relative warmer, and because the relative humidity is lower when the temperature rises, making it feel warmer... less heat transference..


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Snow
PostPosted: Thu January 12, 2017 8:53 pm 
Online
User avatar
An enigma of a man shaped hole in the wall between reality and the soul of the devil.
 Profile

Joined: Tue January 01, 2013 5:13 pm
Posts: 32906
Location: Donkeys live a long time.
It also seems a lot colder in the south than it does here. When it actually gets cold, I mean.

_________________
daft twat wrote:
Saw Coal Chamber 3 or 4 times by accident.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Snow
PostPosted: Thu January 12, 2017 8:59 pm 
Offline
User avatar
Rank This Poster
 Profile

Joined: Tue January 01, 2013 9:08 pm
Posts: 4637
Location: 5th floor, Bay 8, position 5851
This time last week we were told 4 inches of snow was coming; we had a relatively minor ice storm instead.
Today it's 72.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Snow
PostPosted: Thu January 12, 2017 9:12 pm 
Offline
User avatar
Looks Like a Cat
 Profile

Joined: Tue January 01, 2013 7:41 am
Posts: 13506
Location: Cumberland, RI
Look at Dev getting all fucking meteorological up in this bitch today.

_________________
McParadigm wrote:
lol


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Snow
PostPosted: Thu January 12, 2017 9:26 pm 
Offline
User avatar
NEVER STOP JAMMING!
 Profile

Joined: Tue January 01, 2013 11:46 pm
Posts: 21070
Simple Torture wrote:
Look at Dev getting all fucking meteorological up in this bitch today.

It's important stuff for a Canadian. I've never actually looked it up. That was just the conclusion I came to.

_________________
dev radio coming soon


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Snow
PostPosted: Thu January 12, 2017 9:29 pm 
Offline
User avatar
Mind Your Tanners
 Profile

Joined: Tue January 01, 2013 9:55 pm
Posts: 8875
Location: An office full of assholes
doug rr wrote:
Dev wrote:
BurtReynolds wrote:
Is there some scientific explanation for why it doesn't feel as cold when it snows than when its dry?

atmosphere is less humid in dry and it makes the cold more biting. Clear atmosphere days tend to be the worst in the winter. If it's snowing there is moisture in the air and it's prob warmer.


A little outside your explanation... If the difference is clouds or not, it is because the clouds act as a insulator. It traps the ground heat below the clouds, making it warmer. If there is no clouds, the heat radiates to outer space.


yeah, ask Venus


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Snow
PostPosted: Thu February 09, 2017 3:44 am 
Offline
User avatar
Looks Like a Cat
 Profile

Joined: Tue January 01, 2013 7:41 am
Posts: 13506
Location: Cumberland, RI
Get ready chud, numbers, Coach, and etc.; tomorrow could be a good one!

_________________
McParadigm wrote:
lol


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Snow
PostPosted: Thu February 09, 2017 4:09 am 
Offline
User avatar
The Master
 Profile

Joined: Tue January 01, 2013 2:04 pm
Posts: 50427
Location: Sector 7-G
Got the snow blower ready and I don't have to go to work.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Snow
PostPosted: Thu February 09, 2017 8:40 am 
Offline
User avatar
Mind Your Tanners
 Profile

Joined: Sat January 05, 2013 7:30 am
Posts: 8571
Location: here
this storm--niko-- it's snowing across the whole state. and yet, you should see how much snow outside of just this one window

_________________
lennytheweedwhacker wrote:
i ran over a bird this morning :(


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Snow
PostPosted: Thu February 09, 2017 2:23 pm 
Offline
User avatar
Looks Like a Cat
 Profile

Joined: Tue January 01, 2013 7:41 am
Posts: 13506
Location: Cumberland, RI
Just went out to take my neighbor's garbage cans in, and even though there's only about half an inch out there now, it's obviously going to do the heavy shit.

_________________
McParadigm wrote:
lol


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Snow
PostPosted: Thu February 09, 2017 3:37 pm 
Offline
User avatar
Looks Like a Cat
 Profile

Joined: Tue January 01, 2013 7:41 am
Posts: 13506
Location: Cumberland, RI
We brought the baby outside for sledding and pictures and junk but had to cut it short due to thunder and lightning.

_________________
McParadigm wrote:
lol


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Snow
PostPosted: Thu February 09, 2017 6:26 pm 
Offline
User avatar
The Master
 Profile

Joined: Tue January 01, 2013 2:04 pm
Posts: 50427
Location: Sector 7-G
knee tunes wrote:
this storm--niko-- it's snowing across the whole state. and yet, you should see how much snow outside of just this one window

do not let those climate change deniers over at the weather channel name storms that aren't supposed to be named, it's a marketing tool for their brand and nothing more


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Snow
PostPosted: Thu February 09, 2017 7:08 pm 
Offline
User avatar
Worst Moderator
 Profile

Joined: Tue January 01, 2013 2:48 pm
Posts: 50024
cutuphalfdead wrote:
knee tunes wrote:
this storm--niko-- it's snowing across the whole state. and yet, you should see how much snow outside of just this one window

do not let those climate change deniers over at the weather channel name storms that aren't supposed to be named, it's a marketing tool for their brand and nothing more

I hate that so much

_________________
Clouuuuds Rolll byyy...BANG BANG BANG BANG


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Snow
PostPosted: Sun February 12, 2017 9:46 pm 
Offline
User avatar
Mind Your Tanners
 Profile

Joined: Tue January 01, 2013 6:44 pm
Posts: 8129
Location: Franklin, MA
Thursday I went in before dawn and encouraged my guys to do the same in an effort to get us out as early as possible before the storm got really bad. It was a total success and they basically had an entire days work done by 11am and we all went home. The drive was pretty bad on the way home but whatever. Friday, HR goes out of their way to make sure everyone knows that if you left early that day you will have to use vacation time. Keep in mind that the entire HR department "worked from home" that day. The fact that my company went out of their way to tell us that they do not appreciate the effort we made that day will ensure that I do not go to work in a bad storm going forward.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Snow
PostPosted: Sun February 12, 2017 10:20 pm 
Offline
User avatar
Looks Like a Cat
 Profile

Joined: Tue January 01, 2013 7:41 am
Posts: 13506
Location: Cumberland, RI
Today/tonight seems interesting down here--it doesn't seem like the local meteorologists have any idea how much we'll get. We are just north of the rain/snow line projections so we could get 4''-8'' or as much as 10''. My childcare is further up north in MA, though, so they probably can't make it tomorrow so I'll have to cancel class anyways.

_________________
McParadigm wrote:
lol


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Snow
PostPosted: Sun February 12, 2017 10:29 pm 
Offline
User avatar
The Master
 Profile

Joined: Wed January 02, 2013 3:21 pm
Posts: 49605
it's in the 60's here

_________________
Jammer XCI wrote:
My bong got broken tonight


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Snow
PostPosted: Sun February 12, 2017 11:55 pm 
Offline
User avatar
Posting (live)
 Profile

Joined: Wed January 02, 2013 4:18 am
Posts: 17840
lennytheweedwhacker wrote:
it's in the 60's here

decade wise yeah


Top
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 815 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 34, 35, 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41  Next

Board index » Word on the Street » General Discussion


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot], Brett, BurtReynolds and 4 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
It is currently Mon July 23, 2018 2:29 am