The board's server will undergo upgrade maintenance tonight, Nov 5, 2014, beginning approximately around 10 PM ET. Prepare for some possible down time during this process.
FAQ    Search

Board index » Word on the Street » General Discussion

Post subject: Re: RM survivors of sexual abuse
PostPosted: Tue September 12, 2017 6:25 pm 
Looks Like a Cat

I can't even imagine dealing with this. I don't think I would be strong enough. Stay strong, friends.

PostPosted: Tue September 12, 2017 6:26 pm 
Looks Like a Cat

LoathedVermin72 wrote:
The other night, I went with my wife to see a speech by Marilyn Van Derbur, who's one of the most prominent childhood sexual abuse activists in the country. Before her speech, a local advocacy group was going through some slides about various things, and one of them included a list of various ailments and conditions that survivors are more likely to have than the rest of the population.

I exhibit every single one on the list.

I know I had experiences with this in the past, but, admittedly naively, I never thought it was something that affected me much, because it was another kid, not an adult. Therefore, I have never felt any anger toward my perpetrator. I feel like I can't even call him that? (Which I also admit is probably naive and wrong-headed.) I always thought all the stuff I need to work through was related to other stuff from my childhood, but I don't think I have been giving my "abuse" experience its proper mental due. Fuck. I need to stop dragging my feet on therapy.

what symptoms are you talking about?

PostPosted: Tue September 12, 2017 6:34 pm 
The Master
 WWW  Profile

Dev wrote:
LoathedVermin72 wrote:
The other night, I went with my wife to see a speech by Marilyn Van Derbur, who's one of the most prominent childhood sexual abuse activists in the country. Before her speech, a local advocacy group was going through some slides about various things, and one of them included a list of various ailments and conditions that survivors are more likely to have than the rest of the population.

I know I had experiences with this in the past, but, admittedly naively, I never thought it was something that affected me much, because it was another kid, not an adult. Therefore, I have never felt any anger toward my perpetrator. I feel like I can't even call him that? (Which I also admit is probably naive and wrong-headed.) I always thought all the stuff I need to work through was related to other stuff from my childhood, but I don't think I have been giving my "abuse" experience its proper mental due. Fuck. I need to stop dragging my feet on therapy.

I don't remember all of them, but I know it had stuff like anxiety, depression, eating disorders, weight problems, employment problems, suicidal thoughts, and a bunch of other things. I realize these aren't exactly uncommon, but it was alarming seeing all of them right next to each other.

PostPosted: Tue September 12, 2017 6:34 pm 
The Master
 WWW  Profile

cutuphalfdead wrote:
It's not your fault, Jordan.

Thanks, Peter.

PostPosted: Tue September 12, 2017 6:41 pm 
Looks Like a Cat

LoathedVermin72 wrote:
Dev wrote:
LoathedVermin72 wrote:

I don't remember all of them, but I know it had stuff like anxiety, depression, eating disorders, weight problems, employment problems, suicidal thoughts, and a bunch of other things. I realize these aren't exactly uncommon, but it was alarming seeing all of them right next to each other.

hmmm. yeah these symptoms seem like they could spawn from a broad number of things but that doesn't mean thry dont stem from the abuse in your case.

PostPosted: Tue September 12, 2017 6:43 pm 
The Master

LoathedVermin72 wrote:
cutuphalfdead wrote:
It's not your fault, Jordan.

Thanks, Peter.

I'm close with someone who was abused as a child by another (older) kid. The fact that it wasn't an adult doesn't lessen the harm.

PostPosted: Wed September 13, 2017 4:02 am 
Future Drummer

LV, at the very least you should be assessed for PTSD. Trauma is just as much emotional as it is physical.

Board index » Word on the Street » General Discussion