The board's server will undergo upgrade maintenance tonight, Nov 5, 2014, beginning approximately around 10 PM ET. Prepare for some possible down time during this process.
FAQ    Search

Board index » Word on the Street » General Discussion

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 19604 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 969, 970, 971, 972, 973, 974, 975 ... 981  Next
 Post subject: Re: Things you have an irrational hatred of
PostPosted: Thu September 13, 2018 2:25 pm 
Fake NYC Setlist Relayer
 WWW  Profile

i made friends with elvei in adulthood

PostPosted: Thu September 13, 2018 2:27 pm 
Looks Like a Cat

LoathedVermin72 wrote:
Monkey_Driven wrote:
LoathedVermin72 wrote:
E.H. Ruddock wrote:
When people make it sound like they don't want to talk about something controversial but then say "I have my own opinions about it". Clearly you want to share them. :/

SJW friend once said “I don’t want to talk about this, but I can’t support Kylie Jenner because her politics.” Genuinely confused, I asked to what politics she referred, and she said “Didn’t I just say I don’t want to talk about it?”

That was pretty much where I lost interest in even trying to maintain a shallow friendship with her.

I wish it was easier to make friends in adulthood.

Tell me about it.

I don't think I have a single close friend within 300 miles that shares even 60 percent of my interests. Should be more interested in what they like?

PostPosted: Thu September 13, 2018 2:28 pm 
Fake NYC Setlist Relayer
 WWW  Profile

we should be friends. i think we're within 300 miles? we like same things . come to my house for brunch.

PostPosted: Thu September 13, 2018 2:29 pm 
The Master

Monkey_Driven wrote:
LoathedVermin72 wrote:
Monkey_Driven wrote:
LoathedVermin72 wrote:
E.H. Ruddock wrote:
When people make it sound like they don't want to talk about something controversial but then say "I have my own opinions about it". Clearly you want to share them. :/

SJW friend once said “I don’t want to talk about this, but I can’t support Kylie Jenner because her politics.” Genuinely confused, I asked to what politics she referred, and she said “Didn’t I just say I don’t want to talk about it?”

That was pretty much where I lost interest in even trying to maintain a shallow friendship with her.

Tell me about it.

I don't think I have a single close friend within 300 miles that shares even 60 percent of my interests. Should be more interested in what they like?

Faking interest doesn’t seem like a good way to build a friendship.

At this point, I don’t even need it to be about shared interests; I just want someone I can talk to. Someone who I can lock into a rhythm of conversation and understanding with. But that seems maybe even more difficult to find than someone with similar interests.

a lot of hurt

PostPosted: Thu September 13, 2018 2:31 pm 
Fake NYC Setlist Relayer
 WWW  Profile

i thought i made a friend in my lake community but it turns out he was drinking non-alcoholic beer and he had a big long drawn out story about his weird alcohol disease so... i don't know maybe i will invite him to a poker game one day

PostPosted: Thu September 13, 2018 4:04 pm 
Legacy of Love
 WWW  Profile

LoathedVermin72 wrote:
Monkey_Driven wrote:
LoathedVermin72 wrote:
Monkey_Driven wrote:
LoathedVermin72 wrote:
E.H. Ruddock wrote:

Tell me about it.

At this point, I don’t even need it to be about shared interests; I just want someone I can talk to. Someone who I can lock into a rhythm of conversation and understanding with. But that seems maybe even more difficult to find than someone with similar interests.

I would tend to agree with your last point here, LV.

I've been lucky enough to make some great friends in adulthood. Moving to NYC and finding a bar full of Chiefs fans, people who have similar values/politics as me and are also from where I grew up was super lucky. But even that group, with all of our similar interests, has difficulty really getting deep into conversations and ideas. They are great people, and I love them, but they don't always want to dig in the way I do.

We've had those conversations but not as frequently as I'd prefer.

PostPosted: Thu September 13, 2018 4:57 pm 
The Master

I don’t have any friends either

PostPosted: Thu September 13, 2018 5:09 pm 
NEVER STOP JAMMING!

durdencommatyler wrote:
LoathedVermin72 wrote:
Monkey_Driven wrote:
LoathedVermin72 wrote:
Monkey_Driven wrote:
LoathedVermin72 wrote:
E.H. Ruddock wrote:

Tell me about it.

I've been lucky enough to make some great friends in adulthood. Moving to NYC and finding a bar full of Chiefs fans, people who have similar values/politics as me and are also from where I grew up was super lucky. But even that group, with all of our similar interests, has difficulty really getting deep into conversations and ideas. They are great people, and I love them, but they don't always want to dig in the way I do.

My problem exactly. I really don't need too many friends in my life, and I don't even need to see the ones I do have very often. But when connecting with people, I'd prefer to talk about something interesting in depth and detail. If we're just gonna make small talk about the weather or whatever, I'd much prefer to be at home by myself doing something more interesting.

PostPosted: Thu September 13, 2018 5:10 pm 
The Master

I have two best friends I feel equally close to, but it’s kind of funny how different our relationships are. One is optimistic, positive, and full of life, and the other is deeply cynical, depressed, and defeated. The former is someone I feel has made me a much better, more thoughtful person, and we are very, very in sync with our tastes and interests. I love knowing him and talking to him. We tell each other we love each other all the time. The latter is someone who has pretty different tastes than mine (though we share plenty of interests), and I think our roles to each other are more actively supportive, since we both hate ourselves and want to die.

a lot of hurt

PostPosted: Thu September 13, 2018 5:10 pm 
The Master

tragabigzanda wrote:
durdencommatyler wrote:
LoathedVermin72 wrote:
Monkey_Driven wrote:
LoathedVermin72 wrote:
Monkey_Driven wrote:
LoathedVermin72 wrote:
E.H. Ruddock wrote:

Tell me about it.

My problem exactly. I really don't need too many friends in my life, and I don't even need to see the ones I do have very often. But when connecting with people, I'd prefer to talk about something interesting in depth and detail. If we're just gonna make small talk about the weather or whatever, I'd much prefer to be at home by myself doing something more interesting.

how did we do for our first time? Rank it

PostPosted: Thu September 13, 2018 5:13 pm 
NEVER STOP JAMMING!

Strat wrote:
tragabigzanda wrote:
durdencommatyler wrote:
LoathedVermin72 wrote:
Monkey_Driven wrote:
LoathedVermin72 wrote:
Monkey_Driven wrote:
LoathedVermin72 wrote:
E.H. Ruddock wrote:

Tell me about it.

how did we do for our first time? Rank it

Meeting new people is totally different though, you're sort of feeling each other out. Felt great to me -- no one was monopolizing the conversation, ideas seemed to ebb and flow comfortably. Good mix of serious talk and novel chitchat about Pearl Jam, skiing, etc.

If I were ranking it, I'd go:

1. Meeting strat in real life
2. Not having met strat in real life

PostPosted: Thu September 13, 2018 5:13 pm 
Legacy of Love
 WWW  Profile

LoathedVermin72 wrote:
I have two best friends I feel equally close to, but it’s kind of funny how different our relationships are. One is optimistic, positive, and full of life, and the other is deeply cynical, depressed, and defeated. The former is someone I feel has made me a much better, more thoughtful person, and we are very, very in sync with our tastes and interests. I love knowing him and talking to him. We tell each other we love each other all the time. The latter is someone who has pretty different tastes than mine (though we share plenty of interests), and I think our roles to each other are more actively supportive, since we both hate ourselves and want to die.

In all things, balance. I guess.

PostPosted: Thu September 13, 2018 8:19 pm 
"You kids quit having fun with the word filter!"

People always talk about how hard it gets to make friends when you're past your mid 20s, but I don't have a problem with that just yet. I really like connecting with new people, and I met some of my current closest friends over the last couple years (in fact, the two people I hang out with the most in a non-romantic way, I met at the same party just over a year ago). Although maybe I am subconsciously sabotaging my friendships by serving subpar lasagna.

What I do struggle with is maintaining friendships with people I love dearly but who live far away, or whose work schedule doesn't align with mine. Save for a couple notable exceptions, I am bad at constant, sustained contact if I don't actually see you on a regular basis, which sometimes comes off as aloofness or not caring about the person.

PostPosted: Thu September 13, 2018 8:24 pm 
Mind Your Tanners

Danny O'Malley was telling me that about you just yesterday, actually.

PostPosted: Thu September 13, 2018 8:26 pm 

Wait, which part

PostPosted: Thu September 13, 2018 8:27 pm 
Mind Your Tanners

Just drop Danny a line soon, dude. He'd love to hear from you.

PostPosted: Thu September 13, 2018 8:49 pm 
The Master

yeah, jorge

PostPosted: Thu September 13, 2018 9:04 pm 
The Master

Jorge is a social butterfly

a lot of hurt

PostPosted: Thu September 13, 2018 9:07 pm 
Fake NYC Setlist Relayer
 WWW  Profile

i'm a social sea urchin

PostPosted: Thu September 13, 2018 9:07 pm 

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 19604 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 969, 970, 971, 972, 973, 974, 975 ... 981  Next

Board index » Word on the Street » General Discussion