The board's server will undergo upgrade maintenance tonight, Nov 5, 2014, beginning approximately around 10 PM ET. Prepare for some possible down time during this process.
FAQ    Search

Board index » Word on the Street » General Discussion




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 61720 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3067, 3068, 3069, 3070, 3071, 3072, 3073 ... 3086  Next
Author Message
 Post subject: Re: Talk About Your Day Thread
PostPosted: Thu November 08, 2018 1:07 pm 
Offline
User avatar
10Club Complaint Department
 Profile

Joined: Wed January 02, 2013 3:36 pm
Posts: 15753
Location: Mizzou
theplatypus wrote:
Monkey_Driven wrote:
Just got home. Been a rough week.

The video game tournament has been tough on all of us


Haha, I wish I could say that was the cause. That's been a (mostly) fun distraction.

_________________
Please vote in the Video Game Tournament!
http://forums.theskyiscrape.com/viewforum.php?f=45


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Talk About Your Day Thread
PostPosted: Thu November 08, 2018 2:45 pm 
Offline
User avatar
NEVER STOP JAMMING!
 Profile

Joined: Tue September 24, 2013 5:56 pm
Posts: 24693
Location: Different mountains than Strat.
Monkey_Driven wrote:
Just got home. Been a rough week.

whys that?


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Talk About Your Day Thread
PostPosted: Thu November 08, 2018 7:20 pm 
Online
User avatar
Posting (live)
 Profile

Joined: Wed January 02, 2013 11:15 pm
Posts: 18222
Location: Seattle, WA
i put a sticker on the space next to my trackpad on my work laptop, and now i'm questioning it


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Talk About Your Day Thread
PostPosted: Thu November 08, 2018 7:24 pm 
Offline
User avatar
Worst Moderator
 Profile

Joined: Tue January 01, 2013 2:48 pm
Posts: 52008
bodysnatcher wrote:
i put a sticker on the space next to my trackpad on my work laptop, and now i'm questioning it

13.1

_________________
Clouuuuds Rolll byyy...BANG BANG BANG BANG


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Talk About Your Day Thread
PostPosted: Thu November 08, 2018 7:25 pm 
Online
User avatar
Posting (live)
 Profile

Joined: Wed January 02, 2013 11:15 pm
Posts: 18222
Location: Seattle, WA
E.H. Ruddock wrote:
bodysnatcher wrote:
i put a sticker on the space next to my trackpad on my work laptop, and now i'm questioning it

13.1


0.0


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Talk About Your Day Thread
PostPosted: Thu November 08, 2018 7:27 pm 
Online
User avatar
Posting (live)
 Profile

Joined: Wed January 02, 2013 11:15 pm
Posts: 18222
Location: Seattle, WA
i'm going out with my best bud tonight for some beers. we do it every week, and unfortunately, he and his family are moving down to Oregon in a few weeks. so i'm trying to capitalize on time spent with him. just got looped into a 7pm–8pm meeting tonight, wtf. looks like i'll be walking out to my car and doing it from my drivers seat. fuck that.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Talk About Your Day Thread
PostPosted: Thu November 08, 2018 7:29 pm 
Offline
User avatar
Misplaced My Sponge
 Profile

Joined: Tue January 01, 2013 6:03 pm
Posts: 6305
Location: Washington State
Who has a meeting that late? Or is it a time zone thing?


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Talk About Your Day Thread
PostPosted: Thu November 08, 2018 7:52 pm 
Online
User avatar
Posting (live)
 Profile

Joined: Wed January 02, 2013 11:15 pm
Posts: 18222
Location: Seattle, WA
bune wrote:
Who has a meeting that late? Or is it a time zone thing?


yeah, global teams. had a 8:00 call this morning with a team member in Berlin, and the call tonight with our team in Tokyo. we're experimenting with this globalization team concept, and it's horse shit bc there are only 3 of us. dunno how 3 people are supposed to support all these teams without checking out of life.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Talk About Your Day Thread
PostPosted: Fri November 09, 2018 12:34 am 
Offline
User avatar
The Master
 Profile

Joined: Sun May 25, 2014 9:32 pm
Posts: 37973
My best friend is becoming very unstable mentally. Before getting into an abusive relationship a while ago, he already had a lot of trust issues, but after that, those developed into paranoid delusions, and last night they become so intense that I think he suffered a bit of a psychotic break. It's a weird balancing act when I talk to him about it, because I don't want to say I don't believe him, but I'm not sure how much I should entertain what sound like, as I said, paranoid delusions with no basis in reality.

Out of sheer exhaustion and desperation, he is driving back to Wisconsin tonight to stay with his dad for a while. A little part of me wonders if he's going to come back.

_________________
lennytheweedwhacker wrote:
E.H. Ruddock wrote:
What's going on in here

a lot of hurt


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Talk About Your Day Thread
PostPosted: Fri November 09, 2018 12:53 am 
Offline
User avatar
Rank This Poster
 Profile

Joined: Tue January 01, 2013 12:41 pm
Posts: 4331
so to top off everything with my brother this week, while we are texting this morning he tells me he just talked to my stepfather and the stepfather wasnt feeling so well

i call him (stepfather) and ask how he is doing and he says not to well. aside from his age he is a marine and italian so stubborness is way too light a word to describe him.

i ask whats wrong and he says he is sore and dizzy and thinking about calling an ambulance (im 3.1 miles away) and i ask why he hasnt. he said he is waiting another 2 hours or so to see if he feels better.

i reiterate if he is thinking about calling an ambulance to do it now. he then tells me he is sore because he fell down the top of the stairs (13 stairs) and...

then in interrupt him and tell him he is either calling the ambulance or i am

once hes there at the hospital he says he didnt want me to fret or worry about him and that hes being a pain in the ass....

i cannot get through to the guy thats the only reason me and my brother live next door so we can be close to him and if something like this happens he has to let us know

_________________
Chris_H_2 wrote:
...i really think i pissed myself.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Talk About Your Day Thread
PostPosted: Fri November 09, 2018 1:10 am 
Offline
User avatar
AnalLog
 Profile

Joined: Sun March 12, 2017 3:06 pm
Posts: 1037
You're a good man, Jerry. Geezers like him need that kind of treatment. :thumbsup:


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Talk About Your Day Thread
PostPosted: Fri November 09, 2018 2:12 pm 
Online
User avatar
Rank This Poster
 Profile

Joined: Tue January 01, 2013 9:08 pm
Posts: 4962
Location: 5th floor, Bay 8, position 5851
The spring time change always gets me but this past one has me thrown off too.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Talk About Your Day Thread
PostPosted: Fri November 09, 2018 4:54 pm 
Offline
User avatar
NEVER STOP JAMMING!
 Profile

Joined: Tue September 24, 2013 5:56 pm
Posts: 24693
Location: Different mountains than Strat.
LoathedVermin72 wrote:
My best friend is becoming very unstable mentally. Before getting into an abusive relationship a while ago, he already had a lot of trust issues, but after that, those developed into paranoid delusions, and last night they become so intense that I think he suffered a bit of a psychotic break. It's a weird balancing act when I talk to him about it, because I don't want to say I don't believe him, but I'm not sure how much I should entertain what sound like, as I said, paranoid delusions with no basis in reality.

Out of sheer exhaustion and desperation, he is driving back to Wisconsin tonight to stay with his dad for a while. A little part of me wonders if he's going to come back.

Does he have meds and/or a therapist of some sort in CO?


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Talk About Your Day Thread
PostPosted: Fri November 09, 2018 4:55 pm 
Offline
User avatar
NEVER STOP JAMMING!
 Profile

Joined: Tue September 24, 2013 5:56 pm
Posts: 24693
Location: Different mountains than Strat.
Peeps wrote:
so to top off everything with my brother this week, while we are texting this morning he tells me he just talked to my stepfather and the stepfather wasnt feeling so well

i call him (stepfather) and ask how he is doing and he says not to well. aside from his age he is a marine and italian so stubborness is way too light a word to describe him.

i ask whats wrong and he says he is sore and dizzy and thinking about calling an ambulance (im 3.1 miles away) and i ask why he hasnt. he said he is waiting another 2 hours or so to see if he feels better.

i reiterate if he is thinking about calling an ambulance to do it now. he then tells me he is sore because he fell down the top of the stairs (13 stairs) and...

then in interrupt him and tell him he is either calling the ambulance or i am

once hes there at the hospital he says he didnt want me to fret or worry about him and that hes being a pain in the ass....

i cannot get through to the guy thats the only reason me and my brother live next door so we can be close to him and if something like this happens he has to let us know

Damn dude, everyone is falling apart around you. Really sorry to hear it, I hope you an shake it off somehow and feel a little lighter in spirits this weekend.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Talk About Your Day Thread
PostPosted: Fri November 09, 2018 5:00 pm 
Offline
User avatar
The Master
 Profile

Joined: Sun May 25, 2014 9:32 pm
Posts: 37973
tragabigzanda wrote:
LoathedVermin72 wrote:
My best friend is becoming very unstable mentally. Before getting into an abusive relationship a while ago, he already had a lot of trust issues, but after that, those developed into paranoid delusions, and last night they become so intense that I think he suffered a bit of a psychotic break. It's a weird balancing act when I talk to him about it, because I don't want to say I don't believe him, but I'm not sure how much I should entertain what sound like, as I said, paranoid delusions with no basis in reality.

Out of sheer exhaustion and desperation, he is driving back to Wisconsin tonight to stay with his dad for a while. A little part of me wonders if he's going to come back.

Does he have meds and/or a therapist of some sort in CO?

No. My wife and I have been nearly begging him to get professional help for years. He needs it very badly.

_________________
lennytheweedwhacker wrote:
E.H. Ruddock wrote:
What's going on in here

a lot of hurt


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Talk About Your Day Thread
PostPosted: Fri November 09, 2018 5:02 pm 
Offline
User avatar
Misplaced My Sponge
 Profile

Joined: Tue January 01, 2013 6:03 pm
Posts: 6305
Location: Washington State
Peeps wrote:
so to top off everything with my brother this week, while we are texting this morning he tells me he just talked to my stepfather and the stepfather wasnt feeling so well

i call him (stepfather) and ask how he is doing and he says not to well. aside from his age he is a marine and italian so stubborness is way too light a word to describe him.

i ask whats wrong and he says he is sore and dizzy and thinking about calling an ambulance (im 3.1 miles away) and i ask why he hasnt. he said he is waiting another 2 hours or so to see if he feels better.

i reiterate if he is thinking about calling an ambulance to do it now. he then tells me he is sore because he fell down the top of the stairs (13 stairs) and...

then in interrupt him and tell him he is either calling the ambulance or i am

once hes there at the hospital he says he didnt want me to fret or worry about him and that hes being a pain in the ass....

i cannot get through to the guy thats the only reason me and my brother live next door so we can be close to him and if something like this happens he has to let us know

Man, that sounds like what my dad - also a Marine, but not Italian - would do. I think even his last collapse was basically, "I'm fine, don't worry about me" but they put him in the hospital anyway. Tough old bastards who still think they're tough young bastards.

Hope it's going well.


Last edited by bune on Fri November 09, 2018 5:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Talk About Your Day Thread
PostPosted: Fri November 09, 2018 5:09 pm 
Offline
NEVER STOP JAMMING!
 Profile

Joined: Tue January 01, 2013 3:45 pm
Posts: 22204
Location: the beach
just sitting on the patio with a coffee watching malibu burn :(


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Talk About Your Day Thread
PostPosted: Fri November 09, 2018 5:18 pm 
Offline
User avatar
NEVER STOP JAMMING!
 Profile

Joined: Tue September 24, 2013 5:56 pm
Posts: 24693
Location: Different mountains than Strat.
LoathedVermin72 wrote:
tragabigzanda wrote:
LoathedVermin72 wrote:
My best friend is becoming very unstable mentally. Before getting into an abusive relationship a while ago, he already had a lot of trust issues, but after that, those developed into paranoid delusions, and last night they become so intense that I think he suffered a bit of a psychotic break. It's a weird balancing act when I talk to him about it, because I don't want to say I don't believe him, but I'm not sure how much I should entertain what sound like, as I said, paranoid delusions with no basis in reality.

Out of sheer exhaustion and desperation, he is driving back to Wisconsin tonight to stay with his dad for a while. A little part of me wonders if he's going to come back.

Does he have meds and/or a therapist of some sort in CO?

No. My wife and I have been nearly begging him to get professional help for years. He needs it very badly.

it's shitty. personally, i would disengage in hopes that he might be more compelled to seek out help; hopefully he'll do that when he's with his dad. FWIW, Stuff You Should Know did a great episode on Empathy that I just happened to listen to this morning, and they talk a lot about the difference between Cognitive Empathy and Emotional Empathy. The upshot is that Emotional Empathy can very often serve as an enabling behavior to the one who's suffering, while Cognitive Empathy plays out more like a "tough love" approach.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Talk About Your Day Thread
PostPosted: Fri November 09, 2018 5:26 pm 
Offline
User avatar
Mind Your Tanners
 WWW  Profile

Joined: Thu April 04, 2013 6:27 am
Posts: 8162
Location: Port Perry Lodge on voluptuous Lake Perry
Accepted a promotion of sorts. $300 more a month but a lot more responsibility/stress. We will see how it goes. :?

_________________
radio coming soon


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Talk About Your Day Thread
PostPosted: Fri November 09, 2018 5:27 pm 
Offline
User avatar
The Master
 Profile

Joined: Sun May 25, 2014 9:32 pm
Posts: 37973
tragabigzanda wrote:
LoathedVermin72 wrote:
tragabigzanda wrote:
LoathedVermin72 wrote:
My best friend is becoming very unstable mentally. Before getting into an abusive relationship a while ago, he already had a lot of trust issues, but after that, those developed into paranoid delusions, and last night they become so intense that I think he suffered a bit of a psychotic break. It's a weird balancing act when I talk to him about it, because I don't want to say I don't believe him, but I'm not sure how much I should entertain what sound like, as I said, paranoid delusions with no basis in reality.

Out of sheer exhaustion and desperation, he is driving back to Wisconsin tonight to stay with his dad for a while. A little part of me wonders if he's going to come back.

Does he have meds and/or a therapist of some sort in CO?

No. My wife and I have been nearly begging him to get professional help for years. He needs it very badly.

it's shitty. personally, i would disengage in hopes that he might be more compelled to seek out help; hopefully he'll do that when he's with his dad. FWIW, Stuff You Should Know did a great episode on Empathy that I just happened to listen to this morning, and they talk a lot about the difference between Cognitive Empathy and Emotional Empathy. The upshot is that Emotional Empathy can very often serve as an enabling behavior to the one who's suffering, while Cognitive Empathy plays out more like a "tough love" approach.

Yeah, this is never going to happen. We hang out with him 2-4 days per week. He’s our best friend and has been for a long time. He’s not toxic or draining at all to us; he just doesn’t know how to value himself. The cruelest possible thing to do would be to not be here for him right now. He has almost no one.

I will continue to do everything I can to help him and encourage him to seek help. But regardless of whether he does, I will always be his friend.

_________________
lennytheweedwhacker wrote:
E.H. Ruddock wrote:
What's going on in here

a lot of hurt


Top
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 61720 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3067, 3068, 3069, 3070, 3071, 3072, 3073 ... 3086  Next

Board index » Word on the Street » General Discussion


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: bodysnatcher, Google [Bot], pepperwhiteMFC, Sgt. Crackpot and 10 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
It is currently Sat November 17, 2018 12:36 am