The board's server will undergo upgrade maintenance tonight, Nov 5, 2014, beginning approximately around 10 PM ET. Prepare for some possible down time during this process.
FAQ    Search

Board index » This gene pool drowning me » Garbage Dump




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 203 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 11  Next
Author Message
 Post subject: Re: Work / Job / Career thread
PostPosted: Wed November 04, 2020 3:36 pm 
Offline
User avatar
NEVER STOP JAMMING!
 Profile

Joined: Wed January 02, 2013 3:36 pm
Posts: 24814
Location: Mizzou
Working hard to stop thinking about working hard while not working hard.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Work / Job / Career thread
PostPosted: Wed November 04, 2020 4:27 pm 
Offline
User avatar
Mind Your Tanners
 Profile

Joined: Wed January 02, 2013 6:02 am
Posts: 8474
Location: Tristes Tropiques
Strat wrote:
That learned anxiety you get when you're not working? That is not healthy.

I found that creeping into my life over the past 12 months or so. "but there is so much work to do, if i take time off it will just be worse". I'd end up working every single day. My boss is like that still and he's 65. My dad is like that still and he's 72.

I dont want that. I will actively work against that.


But don't most people need a social and financial structure that permits thinking and working against that model?


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Work / Job / Career thread
PostPosted: Wed November 04, 2020 7:01 pm 
Offline
User avatar
Future Drummer
 Profile

Joined: Wed January 02, 2013 2:21 am
Posts: 3266
Mickey wrote:
Strat wrote:
That learned anxiety you get when you're not working? That is not healthy.

I found that creeping into my life over the past 12 months or so. "but there is so much work to do, if i take time off it will just be worse". I'd end up working every single day. My boss is like that still and he's 65. My dad is like that still and he's 72.

I dont want that. I will actively work against that.


But don't most people need a social and financial structure that permits thinking and working against that model?

I know it's not true for most people but by 50 shouldn't you be at a point financially where you can adopt a healthier work/life balance. Mortgage paid off, retirement saving healthily under way.

I see friends set off on financial decision at 35, 40 and even 50 that just end up dictating their life going into retirement. I realize I am lucky in that while I like the Joneses and live in their neighbourhood, I have no desire to keep up with them. Except for the really happy ones, those are my role models, not the ones with the nicer cars or bigger/newer homes.

_________________
Think I’m going to try being kind to everyone a chance.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Work / Job / Career thread
PostPosted: Wed November 04, 2020 7:16 pm 
Offline
User avatar
Mind Your Tanners
 Profile

Joined: Wed January 02, 2013 6:02 am
Posts: 8474
Location: Tristes Tropiques
surfndestroy wrote:
Mickey wrote:
Strat wrote:
That learned anxiety you get when you're not working? That is not healthy.

I found that creeping into my life over the past 12 months or so. "but there is so much work to do, if i take time off it will just be worse". I'd end up working every single day. My boss is like that still and he's 65. My dad is like that still and he's 72.

I dont want that. I will actively work against that.


But don't most people need a social and financial structure that permits thinking and working against that model?

I know it's not true for most people but by 50 shouldn't you be at a point financially where you can adopt a healthier work/life balance. Mortgage paid off, retirement saving healthily under way.

I see friends set off on financial decision at 35, 40 and even 50 that just end up dictating their life going into retirement. I realize I am lucky in that while I like the Joneses and live in their neighbourhood, I have no desire to keep up with them. Except for the really happy ones, those are my role models, not the ones with the nicer cars or bigger/newer homes.


I think that is increasingly not a feasible reality for many of my generation, who graduated college during the 2008 collapse and have struggled to find stable work ever since, often through no fault of their own. I am--knock on wood--looking to be the exception here, partly because of some generous family support and partly because, as you can tell from my posts, I have perfect morals and politics and everybody likes me. But I also think you kind of know this already--as you said, it's not true for most people. I'd like to live in a world where it could be, but that's kind of my point, we increasingly live in one where it's not.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Work / Job / Career thread
PostPosted: Thu November 05, 2020 5:17 am 
Offline
User avatar
NEVER STOP JAMMING!
 Profile

Joined: Wed January 02, 2013 4:18 am
Posts: 23451
Strat wrote:
That learned anxiety you get when you're not working? That is not healthy.

I found that creeping into my life over the past 12 months or so. "but there is so much work to do, if i take time off it will just be worse". I'd end up working every single day. My boss is like that still and he's 65. My dad is like that still and he's 72.

I dont want that. I will actively work against that.

move to scotland. it's different elsewhere.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Work / Job / Career thread
PostPosted: Mon November 09, 2020 3:45 am 
Offline
User avatar
Major Dude
 Profile

Joined: Sat January 05, 2013 1:57 pm
Posts: 25480
Location: Where everybody knows your name
So, tomorrow is my first day in my new position. However, due to not having anyone to replace my position yet, I'll still be working the old shift. Only one of my coworkers know about my promotion and one of them will absolutely lose her shit over it. The company was supposed to announce it Friday but didn't for whatever reason and I guess I'll just wait and see if they send it out tomorrow. As fate would have it, the one that will NOT like the news is filling in for someone tomorrow and will be working with me, so I'll get a firsthand view of her reaction.

_________________
Let me tell you, Homer Simpson is cock of nothing!
- C. Montgomery Burns


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Work / Job / Career thread
PostPosted: Mon November 09, 2020 3:46 am 
Offline
User avatar
Not as great as you think
 Profile

Joined: Thu January 24, 2013 4:32 am
Posts: 16222
Location: Growing dick, fixing and filing things.
wease wrote:
So, tomorrow is my first day in my new position. However, due to not having anyone to replace my position yet, I'll still be working the old shift. Only one of my coworkers know about my promotion and one of them will absolutely lose her shit over it. The company was supposed to announce it Friday but didn't for whatever reason and I guess I'll just wait and see if they send it out tomorrow. As fate would have it, the one that will NOT like the news is filling in for someone tomorrow and will be working with me, so I'll get a firsthand view of her reaction.

Like I told ya, wease. That climb up the ladder is lonely.

_________________
There are plenty of idiots to go around, on both sides of the aisle. Remember, the left wing and the right wing are both parts of the same bird.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Work / Job / Career thread
PostPosted: Mon November 09, 2020 4:36 am 
Offline
User avatar
Major Dude
 Profile

Joined: Sat January 05, 2013 1:57 pm
Posts: 25480
Location: Where everybody knows your name
Bammer wrote:
wease wrote:
So, tomorrow is my first day in my new position. However, due to not having anyone to replace my position yet, I'll still be working the old shift. Only one of my coworkers know about my promotion and one of them will absolutely lose her shit over it. The company was supposed to announce it Friday but didn't for whatever reason and I guess I'll just wait and see if they send it out tomorrow. As fate would have it, the one that will NOT like the news is filling in for someone tomorrow and will be working with me, so I'll get a firsthand view of her reaction.

Like I told ya, wease. That climb up the ladder is lonely.

Oh, I've been up the ladder before, just not for this company.

And I'm quite looking forward to seeing her reaction.

_________________
Let me tell you, Homer Simpson is cock of nothing!
- C. Montgomery Burns


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Work / Job / Career thread
PostPosted: Mon November 09, 2020 4:48 am 
Offline
User avatar
for those who
are not...shall be
 Profile

Joined: Sat January 05, 2013 7:30 am
Posts: 14858
Location: here
I get 19 vacation days , 13 sick days, and 11 holidays a year.

additionally since I opt to work 8-hour days instead of 7.5-hour days, I have a mandatory day off every 4 weeks, so add 13 more days to that

also, I have a defined benefit retirement plan

ok bye

_________________
flat, the burt earther


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Work / Job / Career thread
PostPosted: Mon November 09, 2020 6:49 am 
Offline
User avatar
Not as great as you think
 Profile

Joined: Thu January 24, 2013 4:32 am
Posts: 16222
Location: Growing dick, fixing and filing things.
I really do look forward to Mondays and getting out of the house and into the office after a tiring weekend at home.

_________________
There are plenty of idiots to go around, on both sides of the aisle. Remember, the left wing and the right wing are both parts of the same bird.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Work / Job / Career thread
PostPosted: Mon November 09, 2020 6:50 am 
Offline
User avatar
Not as great as you think
 Profile

Joined: Thu January 24, 2013 4:32 am
Posts: 16222
Location: Growing dick, fixing and filing things.
I also really love Friday afternoons and evenings.

_________________
There are plenty of idiots to go around, on both sides of the aisle. Remember, the left wing and the right wing are both parts of the same bird.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Work / Job / Career thread
PostPosted: Mon November 09, 2020 7:03 am 
Offline
User avatar
NEVER STOP JAMMING!
 Profile

Joined: Wed January 02, 2013 11:15 pm
Posts: 23141
Location: Different mountains than Strat and Trag
Feeling so close to bammer right now after these last 2 posts + his anti-sando opinion


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Work / Job / Career thread
PostPosted: Tue November 10, 2020 4:45 am 
Offline
User avatar
Major Dude
 Profile

Joined: Sat January 05, 2013 1:57 pm
Posts: 25480
Location: Where everybody knows your name
Started new position today and youngest Weaseling is positive for covid so now I have to quarantine for 24 days.

_________________
Let me tell you, Homer Simpson is cock of nothing!
- C. Montgomery Burns


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Work / Job / Career thread
PostPosted: Tue November 10, 2020 4:46 am 
Offline
User avatar
The Master
 Profile

Joined: Tue January 01, 2013 3:48 pm
Posts: 44708
Location: Mountains
Monkey_Driven wrote:
Working hard to stop thinking about working hard while not working hard.

And here we are.

Its monday night. I've been on vacation since thursday. A whopping three days off work and im fucking anxious about not working.

Fuck. This is no way to live.

(i know we discussed this via text but im placing it here)


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Work / Job / Career thread
PostPosted: Tue November 10, 2020 4:54 am 
Offline
User avatar
for those who
are not...shall be
 Profile

Joined: Sat January 05, 2013 7:30 am
Posts: 14858
Location: here
Strat wrote:
Monkey_Driven wrote:
Working hard to stop thinking about working hard while not working hard.

And here we are.

Its monday night. I've been on vacation since thursday. A whopping three days off work and im fucking anxious about not working.

Fuck. This is no way to live.

(i know we discussed this via text but im placing it here)


you also said fuck a bunch of people who think like this

_________________
flat, the burt earther


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Work / Job / Career thread
PostPosted: Tue November 10, 2020 4:56 am 
Offline
User avatar
The Master
 Profile

Joined: Tue January 01, 2013 3:48 pm
Posts: 44708
Location: Mountains
knee tunes wrote:
Strat wrote:
Monkey_Driven wrote:
Working hard to stop thinking about working hard while not working hard.

And here we are.

Its monday night. I've been on vacation since thursday. A whopping three days off work and im fucking anxious about not working.

Fuck. This is no way to live.

(i know we discussed this via text but im placing it here)


you also said fuck a bunch of people who think like this

Yea. I'm mad at myself. Im mad our culture has come to this. My points still stand.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Work / Job / Career thread
PostPosted: Tue November 10, 2020 5:03 am 
Offline
User avatar
for those who
are not...shall be
 Profile

Joined: Sat January 05, 2013 7:30 am
Posts: 14858
Location: here
Strat wrote:
knee tunes wrote:
Strat wrote:
Monkey_Driven wrote:
Working hard to stop thinking about working hard while not working hard.

And here we are.

Its monday night. I've been on vacation since thursday. A whopping three days off work and im fucking anxious about not working.

Fuck. This is no way to live.

(i know we discussed this via text but im placing it here)


you also said fuck a bunch of people who think like this

Yea. I'm mad at myself. Im mad our culture has come to this. My points still stand.


I think cross training and written procedures should be #1 and #2 in accommodating people enjoying their f***ing vacations .

People tend to manifest themselves into irreplaceable and then suffer such consequences. I'm not saying you. I'm just saying I see it alot

_________________
flat, the burt earther


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Work / Job / Career thread
PostPosted: Tue November 10, 2020 5:10 am 
Offline
User avatar
The Master
 Profile

Joined: Tue January 01, 2013 3:48 pm
Posts: 44708
Location: Mountains
knee tunes wrote:
Strat wrote:
knee tunes wrote:
Strat wrote:
Monkey_Driven wrote:
Working hard to stop thinking about working hard while not working hard.

And here we are.

Its monday night. I've been on vacation since thursday. A whopping three days off work and im fucking anxious about not working.

Fuck. This is no way to live.

(i know we discussed this via text but im placing it here)


you also said fuck a bunch of people who think like this

Yea. I'm mad at myself. Im mad our culture has come to this. My points still stand.


I think cross training and written procedures should be #1 and #2 in accommodating people enjoying their f***ing vacations .

People tend to manifest themselves into irreplaceable and then suffer such consequences. I'm not saying you. I'm just saying I see it alot


Answer: Stay here long enough to break through the anxiety barrier then stay here past that to truly enjoy life!

Maybe ill drive north and stay with doug and mrs. doug


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Work / Job / Career thread
PostPosted: Tue November 10, 2020 5:30 am 
Offline
User avatar
for those who
are not...shall be
 Profile

Joined: Sat January 05, 2013 7:30 am
Posts: 14858
Location: here
Strat wrote:
knee tunes wrote:
Strat wrote:
knee tunes wrote:
Strat wrote:
Monkey_Driven wrote:
Working hard to stop thinking about working hard while not working hard.

And here we are.

Its monday night. I've been on vacation since thursday. A whopping three days off work and im fucking anxious about not working.

Fuck. This is no way to live.

(i know we discussed this via text but im placing it here)


you also said fuck a bunch of people who think like this

Yea. I'm mad at myself. Im mad our culture has come to this. My points still stand.


I think cross training and written procedures should be #1 and #2 in accommodating people enjoying their f***ing vacations .

People tend to manifest themselves into irreplaceable and then suffer such consequences. I'm not saying you. I'm just saying I see it alot


Answer: Stay here long enough to break through the anxiety barrier then stay here past that to truly enjoy life!

Maybe ill drive north and stay with doug and mrs. doug


Cheers !

_________________
flat, the burt earther


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Work / Job / Career thread
PostPosted: Tue November 10, 2020 5:34 am 
Offline
User avatar
The Master
 Profile

Joined: Tue January 01, 2013 3:48 pm
Posts: 44708
Location: Mountains
knee tunes wrote:
Strat wrote:
knee tunes wrote:
Strat wrote:
knee tunes wrote:
Strat wrote:
Monkey_Driven wrote:
Working hard to stop thinking about working hard while not working hard.

And here we are.

Its monday night. I've been on vacation since thursday. A whopping three days off work and im fucking anxious about not working.

Fuck. This is no way to live.

(i know we discussed this via text but im placing it here)


you also said fuck a bunch of people who think like this

Yea. I'm mad at myself. Im mad our culture has come to this. My points still stand.


I think cross training and written procedures should be #1 and #2 in accommodating people enjoying their f***ing vacations .

People tend to manifest themselves into irreplaceable and then suffer such consequences. I'm not saying you. I'm just saying I see it alot


Answer: Stay here long enough to break through the anxiety barrier then stay here past that to truly enjoy life!

Maybe ill drive north and stay with doug and mrs. doug


Cheers !

Why are you riding me tonight, KT? what the hell


Top
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 203 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 11  Next

Board index » This gene pool drowning me » Garbage Dump


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 13 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
It is currently Wed January 27, 2021 7:05 am