The board's server will undergo upgrade maintenance tonight, Nov 5, 2014, beginning approximately around 10 PM ET. Prepare for some possible down time during this process.
FAQ    Search

Board index » This gene pool drowning me » Garbage Dump

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 203 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 11  Next
 Post subject: Re: Work / Job / Career thread
PostPosted: Tue November 03, 2020 3:43 pm 
AnalLog

I have to go back full time in two weeks. My ride on the partial unemployment gravy train is almost over.

PostPosted: Tue November 03, 2020 5:26 pm 
Looks Like a Cat

Strat wrote:
Do you guys hate vacation or....?

in my job, it's very, very difficult to truly enjoy a vacation. while my firm almost mandates taking them, the work doesn't stop. and the amount that piles up and to which you have to attend when you get back from vacation almost puts me in a worse place mentally than right before vacation.

PostPosted: Tue November 03, 2020 5:28 pm 
The Master

Chris_H_2 wrote:
Strat wrote:

in my job, it's very, very difficult to truly enjoy a vacation. while my firm almost mandates taking them, the work doesn't stop. and the amount that piles up and to which you have to attend when you get back from vacation almost puts me in a worse place mentally than right before vacation.

I get it but i think its still important. There will always be work. There will always be too much work even if you stick around. TAKE YOUR VACATION AND TREAT YOURSELVES.

PostPosted: Tue November 03, 2020 5:30 pm 
The Master

Chris_H_2 wrote:
Strat wrote:

Sounds like an administrative issue that needs sorting out, it shouldn't be on you

Vacation is important to your overall wellbeing and one shouldn't be punished for taking it

PostPosted: Tue November 03, 2020 5:31 pm 
Mind Your Tanners

Chris_H_2 wrote:
Strat wrote:

I think this is a pretty common labor experience. Vacation at your own risk.

PostPosted: Tue November 03, 2020 6:27 pm 
Future Drummer

Americans are trained to be proud they don't take vacations, its deeply fucked up. Talking about myself here as well.

PostPosted: Tue November 03, 2020 6:48 pm 
Looks Like a Cat

Strat wrote:
Chris_H_2 wrote:
Strat wrote:

I get it but i think its still important. There will always be work. There will always be too much work even if you stick around. TAKE YOUR VACATION AND TREAT YOURSELVES.

no I agree. we take big vacations, both here and abroad, because we do think it's so important. it's just really hard dealing with it when i get back.

PostPosted: Tue November 03, 2020 6:52 pm 
Looks Like a Cat

Jorge wrote:
Chris_H_2 wrote:
Strat wrote:

Sounds like an administrative issue that needs sorting out, it shouldn't be on you

Vacation is important to your overall wellbeing and one shouldn't be punished for taking it

it's not though. my work isn't fungible. and in most instances, someone with no institutional knowledge of on what i'm working can't step in while i'm gone. it's just the nature of my work. my clients don't want to see a lot of people working on their matters on their monthly invoices -- it suggests a lot of redundancy and double/triple billing.

but you're 100% right about the need for a vacation. even if it's just taking a day off and going golfing or something.

PostPosted: Tue November 03, 2020 7:17 pm 
NEVER STOP JAMMING!

Orpheus wrote:
Americans are trained to be proud they don't take vacations, its deeply fucked up. Talking about myself here as well.

This.

PostPosted: Tue November 03, 2020 9:21 pm 
Future Drummer

Chris_H_2 wrote:
it's not though. my work isn't fungible. and in most instances, someone with no institutional knowledge of on what i'm working can't step in while i'm gone. it's just the nature of my work.
This is the downside to a knowledge economy. I'm not fully replaceable when I go on vacation, neither are my co-workers. I usually spend breakfasts on vacation answering emails. It is usually 'go see this person', sometimes a quick answer, and other times it is 'this will have to wait until I am back'. We get paid decently in part because of this. It would be a waste of company resources to have a replica employee of me. the redundancy would be nice for all involved but that's not how it's going to work.

PostPosted: Tue November 03, 2020 10:24 pm 
Mind Your Tanners

I wonder how many RMers think their work is intrinsically essential, such that their absence is a real hardship, versus logistically essential, as in there's not a system that allows them to comfortably take time off.

When I taught high school it was kind of a mix of the two--I felt I was logistically essential because it was basically more work to be out than not, but also intrinsically essential because there was such an unreliable sub pool that I actually felt bad leaving the students with them. Teaching at the college level means I really only feel this on a macro scale--there need to be qualified university faculty and there are overall course objectives, but any given day doesn't really matter. But I'd be curious how others feel.

PostPosted: Tue November 03, 2020 10:34 pm 
Future Drummer

I am entirely replaceable in the long term. Six month to two year plans need to be re-adjusted when I leave. Nothing that stops a company in its tracks but some projects may need to be delayed, or have more dollars thrown at them to bring in consultants.

PostPosted: Tue November 03, 2020 11:03 pm 
Mind Your Tanners

I guess I don't mean you specifically but the work you do on a day-to-day basis--is there a reason that it can't be put off for a few days? Like, k-12 teaching kind of needs to happen every day (because of the social role schooling plays), but uni education, eh, not so much.

PostPosted: Tue November 03, 2020 11:12 pm 
Misplaced My Sponge

I set up contractors for equipment usually on like 5 hours notice so can’t really put that off

Or someone needs access to an application I have to grant and they need it yesterday and are on a tight deadline with a billable customer

As you stated everyone is replaceable but the work itself isn’t. The work has to be done but there are three of us in the dept to pick up the slack when one is off.

As much as I was responsible at my last place they replaced me a week after I left. While I’m sure there was a little learning curve for the new guy they are still moving along. If something needed done and the one coworker didn’t know it then they either put it off till I got back or called me

PostPosted: Tue November 03, 2020 11:16 pm 
Future Drummer

I hear you on teaching, Mickey. Between that and acting I got really used to the expectation that I have to be there at all times and things can't happen without me, which in the case of the latter is 100% true. It does a number on your ability to stop when you actually need to.

PostPosted: Wed November 04, 2020 3:46 am 
Major Dude

Bammer wrote:
wease wrote:
Welp, I was given an official offer for the promotion a few minutes ago and I accepted. I can no longer fight the man. I am the man.

Cheers, wease!

Say goodbye to any friendships in the office. It’s lonely at the top.

Thanks man.

PostPosted: Wed November 04, 2020 5:13 am 
NEVER STOP JAMMING!

Strat wrote:

I was planning to take at least 2-3 week off this year, but COVID-19 had other plans.

PostPosted: Wed November 04, 2020 10:45 am 
The Beef

I get 32 days + public holidays a year and you can be damn sure I take every single one of those.

I'm also taking about 16 weeks parental leave next year, which is going to be great.

PostPosted: Wed November 04, 2020 11:22 am 
NEVER STOP JAMMING!

ABNorman wrote:
I get 32 days + public holidays a year and you can be damn sure I take every single one of those.

I'm also taking about 16 weeks parental leave next year, which is going to be great.

That's great. I'm sort of toying with the idea of taking the full 12 weeks off for paternity leave next year too.

PostPosted: Wed November 04, 2020 3:07 pm 
The Master

That learned anxiety you get when you're not working? That is not healthy.

I found that creeping into my life over the past 12 months or so. "but there is so much work to do, if i take time off it will just be worse". I'd end up working every single day. My boss is like that still and he's 65. My dad is like that still and he's 72.

I dont want that. I will actively work against that.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 203 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 11  Next

Board index » This gene pool drowning me » Garbage Dump