The board's server will undergo upgrade maintenance tonight, Nov 5, 2014, beginning approximately around 10 PM ET. Prepare for some possible down time during this process.
FAQ    Search

Board index » Word on the Street » General Discussion

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 3223 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 147, 148, 149, 150, 151, 152, 153 ... 162  Next
 Post subject: Re: RM'ers with kids.
PostPosted: Mon January 08, 2018 9:46 pm 
Posting (live)

bada wrote:
malice wrote:
Monkey_Driven wrote:
malice wrote:
i still remember my locker combination from high school
28-34-12.

I graduated before most rmers were born.

Millenials...

im sayin

Impressive. I can't even remember the first and last names of 10 people I went to High School with never mind my locker combination. Jesus I can't even remember the names of any of my teachers. Something is wrong with me.

I’m with you bada. I can’t remember anything anymore.

PostPosted: Mon January 08, 2018 9:59 pm 
post-structuralist

LetMeSleep wrote:
bada wrote:
malice wrote:
Monkey_Driven wrote:
malice wrote:
i still remember my locker combination from high school
28-34-12.

I graduated before most rmers were born.

Millenials...

im sayin

Impressive. I can't even remember the first and last names of 10 people I went to High School with never mind my locker combination. Jesus I can't even remember the names of any of my teachers. Something is wrong with me.

I’m with you bada. I can’t remember anything anymore.

Mr Kramer - Biology
Mr Wilson - Creative Writing and English
Mr Berry - Art
Mrs Sandoval - Math (although i dont remember what kind of math)
Mrs Cody - American History (hated that bitch)
Mr Deutscher - Art and ski club
Mr Herbert - Geometry (dropped this class halfway through the year)
Mr Barona - Spanish
Mr Swanson - Home room teacher

I think that's10

Spoiler: show
people change. people stay the same. people are so often disappointing - random PM, person unnamed

PostPosted: Wed January 10, 2018 2:22 am 
Unqualified to be an Admin
 WWW  Profile

bune wrote:
B wrote:
Anyone deal with kids and pet death. We had a cat die last month. Kids (5-11) had known him all their lives. Putting a pet down is a whole bunch of suck, but taking the kids along for the ride made it suck even more.

We're about to. Our cat's been dying for a couple months now - she just won't give up the ghost - but it's going to happen this year, more than likely. I don't know if it's a good thing or not that it's taking so long but we're not looking forward to it.

Our cat was losing weight and vomiting a couple of times a week for years. The kids knew he was sick.

He suddenly blew up like a basketball and the vet said cancer and gave him weeks. We told the kids that and the 5yo and 9yo balled. Then he was in so much pain, we put him down like 4 days later (a god damned week before Christmas). Everyone balled. The 11yo had the hardest time that day. Once a week or so, there is some sadness as something reminds us all of him.

I actually ordered a picture book from Shutterfly b/c the kids wanted one to remember him by. I'm sure there will be much crying from all when that arrives.

Hell, it was hard for me too. That cat predated my marriage. I took him to the vet and held him as he died.

PostPosted: Wed January 10, 2018 12:28 pm 
Future Drummer

Sorry about your cat, B. Death is a rip-off.

PostPosted: Wed January 10, 2018 2:25 pm 
post-structuralist

B wrote:
bune wrote:
B wrote:
Anyone deal with kids and pet death. We had a cat die last month. Kids (5-11) had known him all their lives. Putting a pet down is a whole bunch of suck, but taking the kids along for the ride made it suck even more.

We're about to. Our cat's been dying for a couple months now - she just won't give up the ghost - but it's going to happen this year, more than likely. I don't know if it's a good thing or not that it's taking so long but we're not looking forward to it.

Our cat was losing weight and vomiting a couple of times a week for years. The kids knew he was sick.

He suddenly blew up like a basketball and the vet said cancer and gave him weeks. We told the kids that and the 5yo and 9yo balled. Then he was in so much pain, we put him down like 4 days later (a god damned week before Christmas). Everyone balled. The 11yo had the hardest time that day. Once a week or so, there is some sadness as something reminds us all of him.

I actually ordered a picture book from Shutterfly b/c the kids wanted one to remember him by. I'm sure there will be much crying from all when that arrives.

Hell, it was hard for me too. That cat predated my marriage. I took him to the vet and held him as he died.

Putting my cats to sleep was one of the most traumatic experiences I've ever gone through. and the second went six months after the first. i went from almost 20 years with these little creatures with me everyday to no animals for almost 8 years, mostly because my boyfriend couldn't deal with losing another pet. I think the best thing for me was getting cats again because i missed the activity and effort i put into taking care of them

Spoiler: show
people change. people stay the same. people are so often disappointing - random PM, person unnamed

PostPosted: Wed January 10, 2018 2:44 pm 
AnalLog

We are on cat's #8 and 9 here, although for the kids these are #'s 4 and 5. We also have a dog, #4 for me and the wiffey, #2 for the kids.

We had to put 2 cats down within 4 months 2 years ago, but having another kitten in the house soon made up for the sense of loss in many ways.

Nowadays our kids are pretty good about it all. I think going through it (the deaths/loss) whilst certainly difficult and unpleasant, has given them a degree of perspective, and of course the painful but important real world lesson that everything dies (baby, that's a fact).

Most importantly though, both our kids adore our animals, and even going through the pain of losing one, will always want to go again, knowing of course that someday it to will shuffle off the mortal coil. Animals are great like that.

Sorry to all losing pets - it really does suck. When our current dog goes our house will for sure be a total wreck. He is the best dog in the world.

PostPosted: Wed January 10, 2018 3:37 pm 
AnalLog

B wrote:

Not yet, but probably soon. We have a 10 y/o corgi. She was my wife's dog before I met her, but I've been in her life for 8+ years now. Three years ago we added a kid to the mix. My wife says she's been nuts from the beginning, but with each person added to the family it's gotten worse.

This dog is a nightmare. If there is more than one human in the house, she loses her mind. Pacing, whining, crying, wheezing, stress barking, constant licking. If everyone is in the same room she loses her shit if you so much as talk to each other. If we're in separate rooms she just runs back and forth between us, crying. We have wood floors throughout the house, so when we're home the soundtrack is this constant, "Chik-chik-chik-chik-chik" of nails on wood, plus crying and barking. At dinnertime she literally runs laps around the table until we're finished. This is every. Single. Day. The stress level when she's around goes through the roof. We've started putting her in the (finished, not dungeon-like) basement when we're all home.

We've tried training, no change. More exercise, no change. Tried re-homing her within our social circle, no one can/will take her. The shelter route seems too cruel. Trying prozac now, so far no change. Right before Christmas I took her to the vet for some tests hoping that something would come back that would justify putting her down, but other than normal 10 y/o dog stuff she's healthy as an ox.

If it were up to me I would put her down today while our daughter (3) is still young, but my wife obviously has mixed feelings about it. She keeps calling it "murder." But last night she brought it up again and it sounds like she's reaching her limit. So we're gonna ride out this prozac prescription (six more weeks) and if nothing has changed, probably have a serious conversation about putting her down. It's a quality of life thing, for us and the dog. We're not happy, and I can't imagine she is either.

Or, more likely, we'll do nothing, the dog will live five more years, my wife will be just as sad then as she would be now, and we'll have to explain it to a devastated 8 year old rather than a 3 year old who can barely remember which shoe goes on which foot, let alone bond meaningfully with a dog.

PostPosted: Wed January 10, 2018 4:34 pm 
AnalLog

Yeah....I'd put the dog down at this point.

Having said that, it's not an easy thing to do for many reasons. Bar feeling like a total prick, you may even have difficulty getting a vet to do it, if she is otherwise healthy.

Kinda crazy though, as like you say, no one is enjoying the current situation, even the dog. And having held 3 separate cats whilst they were given the green dream I can at least attest to that being a very peaceful, painless and kind way to pass an animal on.

Prozac for a dog! Crazy!

PostPosted: Wed January 10, 2018 4:40 pm 
Rank This Poster

B wrote:
bune wrote:
B wrote:

I showed that to my wife and she started bawling.
malice wrote:
B wrote:
bune wrote:
B wrote:

Putting my cats to sleep was one of the most traumatic experiences I've ever gone through. and the second went six months after the first. i went from almost 20 years with these little creatures with me everyday to no animals for almost 8 years, mostly because my boyfriend couldn't deal with losing another pet. I think the best thing for me was getting cats again because i missed the activity and effort i put into taking care of them

Yeah, my wife is the same way: No more animals. The cat is almost 17 years old and she doesn't want to have this happen again in another decade or so. I'm working on her though.

PostPosted: Wed January 10, 2018 5:13 pm 
AnalLog

Higgs wrote:
Yeah....I'd put the dog down at this point.

Having said that, it's not an easy thing to do for many reasons. Bar feeling like a total prick, you may even have difficulty getting a vet to do it, if she is otherwise healthy.

Kinda crazy though, as like you say, no one is enjoying the current situation, even the dog. And having held 3 separate cats whilst they were given the green dream I can at least attest to that being a very peaceful, painless and kind way to pass an animal on.

Prozac for a dog! Crazy!

If it were up to me I would do it today. I don't say that glibly, I've held a dog before while she's been put down (due to kidney failure), so I know it's not easy. I'm just ready for it to be over.

The vet actually suggested it last time we saw her. Her concern was that it would escalate to aggression/biting/etc. I don't see that happening, but good to know that she's in our corner.

PostPosted: Wed January 10, 2018 5:19 pm 
Mind Your Tanners

My cat hates the kids. She won't leave me the fuck alone though.

PostPosted: Wed January 10, 2018 8:35 pm 
 WWW  Profile

bune wrote:
Yeah, my wife is the same way: No more animals. The cat is almost 17 years old and she doesn't want to have this happen again in another decade or so. I'm working on her though.

Kids are mad we aren't getting another cat. It has nothing to do with this one's death. We just ran out of space. It used to be my wife and I and a cat in this house. Now there are 5 humans in a 3 bedroom house, and the cat litter ended up in a closet near the dining room. That sucked a lot.

PostPosted: Wed January 10, 2018 9:28 pm 
Rank This Poster

:thumbsup: to that. We have a two bedroom and the litter sits right behind me while we're eating dinner. That's fun.

PostPosted: Sat January 20, 2018 2:56 pm 
 WWW  Profile

Guys, I love my 11 year old, but fuck!

I find myself leaving a room just so he can't ask me another idiotic question, tell me another pointless fact, or start another boring story which he forgets before he's finished.

PostPosted: Sat January 20, 2018 2:58 pm 
 WWW  Profile

Just now ... silent room ...

"Dad, does it matter if the turkey is male or female?"

.... "yes."

"Which is it usually?"

PostPosted: Sat January 20, 2018 3:38 pm 
Looks Like a Cat

B wrote:
Guys, I love my 11 year old, but fuck!

I find myself leaving a room just so he can't ask me another idiotic question, tell me another pointless fact, or start another boring story which he forgets before he's finished.

Wait till he’s 14. We’ve started hiding out in our bedroom because the kids pretty much ran us out of the living room. We’ll be trying to watch tv and the 14-year-old will come in and talk and ask questions and generally annoy the fuck out of us. It takes an hour and a half to watch a 22-minute show.

PostPosted: Sat January 20, 2018 4:35 pm 
Rank This Poster

Blind bags are awesome.

PostPosted: Sat January 20, 2018 9:37 pm 
Looks Like a Cat

My boy has been sick on and off for the past month and a half. It is driving my wife crazy.

PostPosted: Sat January 20, 2018 10:52 pm 
Future Drummer

Quote:

He suddenly blew up like a basketballand the vet said cancer and gave him weeks. We told the kids that and the 5yo and 9yo balled. Then he was in so much pain, we put him down like 4 days later (a god damned week before Christmas). Everyone balled. The 11yo had the hardest time that day. Once a week or so, there is some sadness as something reminds us all of him.

I know I'm a bad person. I've put down pets, and it's awful. But if you're going to compare the animal to a basketball, you've got to spell 'bawled' correctly or I'm going to laugh at the image that comes to my mind.

PostPosted: Sat January 20, 2018 11:49 pm 
"You kids quit having fun with the word filter!"
 WWW  Profile

I almost commented on that but it felt a bit insensitive. But yes, the fact that B thinks "bawl" is spelled "ball" is one of my favorite things.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 3223 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 147, 148, 149, 150, 151, 152, 153 ... 162  Next

Board index » Word on the Street » General Discussion