The board's server will undergo upgrade maintenance tonight, Nov 5, 2014, beginning approximately around 10 PM ET. Prepare for some possible down time during this process.
FAQ    Search

Board index » Word on the Street » General Discussion




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 819 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 37, 38, 39, 40, 41  Next
Author Message
 Post subject: Re: The Home Improvement Thread
PostPosted: Tue June 05, 2018 9:04 pm 
Offline
User avatar
Misplaced My Sponge
 WWW  Profile

Joined: Thu April 04, 2013 6:27 am
Posts: 6499
Location: the lake
Cool. Looking finnnne

_________________
Knob hockey radio coming soon


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: The Home Improvement Thread
PostPosted: Tue June 05, 2018 9:10 pm 
Offline
User avatar
The Master
 Profile

Joined: Wed January 02, 2013 3:21 pm
Posts: 49990
Strat wrote:
wow lenny

aren’t you 23?

_________________
Jammer XCI wrote:
My bong got broken tonight


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: The Home Improvement Thread
PostPosted: Tue June 05, 2018 9:12 pm 
Offline
User avatar
Misplaced My Sponge
 WWW  Profile

Joined: Thu April 04, 2013 6:27 am
Posts: 6499
Location: the lake
She doesn't look old.. just a little tired

_________________
Knob hockey radio coming soon


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: The Home Improvement Thread
PostPosted: Tue June 05, 2018 9:13 pm 
Offline
User avatar
The Master
 Profile

Joined: Tue January 01, 2013 3:48 pm
Posts: 34853
Location: Mountains
lennytheweedwhacker wrote:
Strat wrote:
wow lenny

aren’t you 23?

No.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: The Home Improvement Thread
PostPosted: Tue June 05, 2018 9:14 pm 
Offline
User avatar
The Master
 Profile

Joined: Wed January 02, 2013 3:21 pm
Posts: 49990
Strat wrote:
lennytheweedwhacker wrote:
Strat wrote:
wow lenny

aren’t you 23?

No.

oh, wow

_________________
Jammer XCI wrote:
My bong got broken tonight


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: The Home Improvement Thread
PostPosted: Tue June 05, 2018 9:15 pm 
Offline
User avatar
Misplaced My Sponge
 WWW  Profile

Joined: Thu April 04, 2013 6:27 am
Posts: 6499
Location: the lake
Way to go lenny, you've made a fool of yourself

_________________
Knob hockey radio coming soon


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: The Home Improvement Thread
PostPosted: Tue June 05, 2018 9:15 pm 
Offline
User avatar
The Master
 Profile

Joined: Wed January 02, 2013 3:21 pm
Posts: 49990
tree_ wrote:
Way to go lenny, you've made a fool of yourself

at least I’m not going around posting pics of elderly women in my yard

_________________
Jammer XCI wrote:
My bong got broken tonight


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: The Home Improvement Thread
PostPosted: Mon July 09, 2018 4:28 pm 
Offline
User avatar
The Master
 Profile

Joined: Tue January 01, 2013 3:48 pm
Posts: 34853
Location: Mountains
Okay its too hot and too dry these days in the mountains. My grass is dying and ive been watering it daily. $170 water bill and now im thinking its time for some native landscaping of sorts. More concrete pavers and walk ways and get rid of the grass. its dying and its costing me a lot of money.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: The Home Improvement Thread
PostPosted: Mon July 09, 2018 5:24 pm 
Offline
User avatar
10Club Complaint Department
 Profile

Joined: Wed January 02, 2013 11:15 pm
Posts: 17226
Location: Seattle, WA
Strat wrote:
Okay its too hot and too dry these days in the mountains. My grass is dying and ive been watering it daily. $170 water bill and now im thinking its time for some native landscaping of sorts. More concrete pavers and walk ways and get rid of the grass. its dying and its costing me a lot of money.


it'll come back eventually. our yard goes totally dormant and looks dead in the summer when our dry season hits. just give it a solid watering once every few of weeks to keep the roots active if it's an established yard (maybe once a week if it's a relatively new yard, to establish roots). then in the winter, it's super lush and green (though, yours will be covered in snow). if i had to guess, you have real dry and rocky soil that drains really quickly. ours won't hold water for shit unless it's constantly wet. if you wanna get wild, do some aerating in the yard (I got this one a while back, and works well for small areas), throw about an inch of compost on top of it with some slow-release fertilizer. it'll help water get down deep, break up the hard soil a little, and feed the roots for the long months.

we replaced a part of it with succulents and other low-water plants, which is nice.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: The Home Improvement Thread
PostPosted: Tue July 17, 2018 5:21 am 
Offline
User avatar
Rank This Poster
 Profile

Joined: Thu January 24, 2013 4:32 am
Posts: 5325
Strat you should really look into a garden ... ga-harden

Spoiler: show
of stone

_________________
Red Mosquito: Come for the Pearl Jam discussion, stay for the rampant homosexual innuendo.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: The Home Improvement Thread
PostPosted: Thu July 19, 2018 11:36 pm 
Offline
User avatar
10Club Complaint Department
 Profile

Joined: Wed January 02, 2013 11:15 pm
Posts: 17226
Location: Seattle, WA
anyone ever hired a landscape designer to redesign and plant new landscaping? just met with a contractor...curious what to expect in terms of estimates.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: The Home Improvement Thread
PostPosted: Thu July 19, 2018 11:39 pm 
Offline
NEVER STOP JAMMING!
 Profile

Joined: Tue January 01, 2013 3:45 pm
Posts: 21431
Location: the beach
bodysnatcher wrote:
anyone ever hired a landscape designer to redesign and plant new landscaping? just met with a contractor...curious what to expect in terms of estimates.


i had an arborist here a couple months ago about some trees and vines..they were cheaper than I thought to cut back..but then again, I don't know what the going rate is...none of this probably helps your situation..go buy some dwarf fruit trees at home depot


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: The Home Improvement Thread
PostPosted: Thu July 19, 2018 11:48 pm 
Offline
User avatar
10Club Complaint Department
 Profile

Joined: Wed January 02, 2013 11:15 pm
Posts: 17226
Location: Seattle, WA
doug rr wrote:
bodysnatcher wrote:
anyone ever hired a landscape designer to redesign and plant new landscaping? just met with a contractor...curious what to expect in terms of estimates.


i had an arborist here a couple months ago about some trees and vines..they were cheaper than I thought to cut back..but then again, I don't know what the going rate is...none of this probably helps your situation..go buy some dwarf fruit trees at home depot


looking at replacing a bit of grass with new plants, extending a rock retaining wall, planting some new mediterranean-style trees. it's gonna be pimp. i have zero knowledge about PNW plants, shadow patterns, etc. and we have terrible soil, so need help with that. but we'll prob end up with a lot of low irrigation, low maintenance things.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: The Home Improvement Thread
PostPosted: Sat July 21, 2018 6:11 am 
Offline
User avatar
Rank This Poster
 Profile

Joined: Thu January 24, 2013 4:32 am
Posts: 5325
bodysnatcher wrote:
doug rr wrote:
bodysnatcher wrote:
anyone ever hired a landscape designer to redesign and plant new landscaping? just met with a contractor...curious what to expect in terms of estimates.


i had an arborist here a couple months ago about some trees and vines..they were cheaper than I thought to cut back..but then again, I don't know what the going rate is...none of this probably helps your situation..go buy some dwarf fruit trees at home depot


looking at replacing a bit of grass with new plants, extending a rock retaining wall, planting some new mediterranean-style trees. it's gonna be pimp. i have zero knowledge about PNW plants, shadow patterns, etc. and we have terrible soil, so need help with that. but we'll prob end up with a lot of low irrigation, low maintenance things.

This sounds like the kind of thing where you could get 3 bids and none of them are even in the same ballpark as the others.

_________________
Red Mosquito: Come for the Pearl Jam discussion, stay for the rampant homosexual innuendo.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: The Home Improvement Thread
PostPosted: Mon August 06, 2018 10:23 pm 
Offline
User avatar
Unqualified to be an Admin
 WWW  Profile

Joined: Wed December 19, 2012 9:53 pm
Posts: 9324
Location: Chapel Hill, NC, USA
I just had a natural gas grill installed by my deck. No more propane for me, friends. 8-)

_________________
"In a roundabout way, Boba Fett created Pearl Jam." - Chuck Klosterman


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: The Home Improvement Thread
PostPosted: Mon August 06, 2018 10:33 pm 
Offline
User avatar
The Master
 Profile

Joined: Tue January 01, 2013 3:48 pm
Posts: 34853
Location: Mountains
That is pretty sweet, B.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: The Home Improvement Thread
PostPosted: Mon August 06, 2018 10:33 pm 
Offline
User avatar
Looks Like a Cat
 Profile

Joined: Wed January 02, 2013 3:36 pm
Posts: 14321
Location: Mizzou
B wrote:
I just had a natural gas grill installed by my deck. No more propane for me, friends. 8-)


Nice. Did they have to run a line to the deck?


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: The Home Improvement Thread
PostPosted: Mon August 06, 2018 11:04 pm 
Offline
User avatar
NEVER STOP JAMMING!
 Profile

Joined: Tue September 24, 2013 5:56 pm
Posts: 21788
B wrote:
I just had a natural gas grill installed by my deck. No more propane for me, friends. 8-)

where does your charcoal grill go then?


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: The Home Improvement Thread
PostPosted: Tue August 07, 2018 12:20 am 
Offline
User avatar
The Master
 Profile

Joined: Tue January 01, 2013 2:04 pm
Posts: 50887
Location: Sector 7-G
We had one of those when I was growing up. It's so fucking convenient.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: The Home Improvement Thread
PostPosted: Tue August 07, 2018 12:32 am 
Offline
User avatar
Unqualified to be an Admin
 WWW  Profile

Joined: Wed December 19, 2012 9:53 pm
Posts: 9324
Location: Chapel Hill, NC, USA
tragabigzanda wrote:
where does your charcoal grill go then?


I have a smoker, which will convert to a charcoal grill if I need it, but I don't intend to ever need it.

Monkey_Driven wrote:
Nice. Did they have to run a line to the deck?


Yeah, it's weird, it comes out of the house, along the beams of the deck, then down into the ground to go under that lattice and back up into the grill. I have some future plans to work on the deck, so I guess that'll be fun to figure out.

_________________
"In a roundabout way, Boba Fett created Pearl Jam." - Chuck Klosterman


Top
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 819 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 37, 38, 39, 40, 41  Next

Board index » Word on the Street » General Discussion


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 7 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
It is currently Sun August 19, 2018 11:38 am