The board's server will undergo upgrade maintenance tonight, Nov 5, 2014, beginning approximately around 10 PM ET. Prepare for some possible down time during this process.
FAQ    Search

Board index » Word on the Street » General Discussion

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 14958 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 742, 743, 744, 745, 746, 747, 748  Next
 Post subject: Re: Admit Something
PostPosted: Sat November 11, 2017 12:29 am 
Mind Your Tanners

Katy Perry

Goddammit

Last edited by wease on Sat November 11, 2017 12:29 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sat November 11, 2017 12:29 am 
Mind Your Tanners

E.H. Ruddock wrote:
I went to concert last night that I shouldn't have enjoyed but actually enjoyed the hell out of

Katy Perry

PostPosted: Sat November 11, 2017 12:34 am 
Worst Moderator

wease wrote:
E.H. Ruddock wrote:
I went to concert last night that I shouldn't have enjoyed but actually enjoyed the hell out of

Katy Perry

I wish!

PostPosted: Sat November 11, 2017 12:52 am 
Mind Your Tanners

E.H. Ruddock wrote:
wease wrote:
E.H. Ruddock wrote:

Katy Perry

I wish!

Mrs Wease took youngest Weaseling to see her in Nashville a couple weeks back.

PostPosted: Mon November 13, 2017 5:57 am 
Misplaced My Sponge

I'm FREEZING

PostPosted: Mon November 13, 2017 2:01 pm 
I've been POOSSTTIiiEEnngeeaahh

knee tunes wrote:
I'm FREEZING

Are you resting your head on a pillow made of concrete?

PostPosted: Sun November 26, 2017 3:56 am 
"You kids quit having fun with the word filter!"
 WWW  Profile

The Sopranos is my favorite TV show of all time. I have rewatched it countless times, either actively or passively (as background noise while I work on stuff), over the years. I've picked up a lot of stuff from the show-- music, slang, quotes, etc.

There's an episode where Carmela Soprano is trying to convince a woman to write a recommendation letter for her daughter to get into Georgetown. As part of her increasingly aggressive efforts to obtain this recommendation letter, she bakes the woman a ricotta pie and brings it into her office, along with some veiled threats. Here's the scene.

I like it because it shows us Carmela reveling in her darker side a little bit. Here's a character who is often portrayed as moralistic and judgmental of her husband's immoral behavior subtly indulging in some of it herself.

Today I was talking to my girlfriend about how she should deal with a situation at work, and I mentioned something about baking a "regard pie". She didn't know what that meant. Turns out all these years I had been hearing Carmela's line about baking a "ricotta pie" as "regard pie"; I thought "regard pie" was a term referring to a pie you bake for someone when you want to ask for a favor, or you want to apologize, or thank them for something, etc.

PostPosted: Sun November 26, 2017 6:08 am 
10Club Complaint Department

theplatypus wrote:
The Sopranos is my favorite TV show of all time. I have rewatched it countless times, either actively or passively (as background noise while I work on stuff), over the years. I've picked up a lot of stuff from the show-- music, slang, quotes, etc.

There's an episode where Carmela Soprano is trying to convince a woman to write a recommendation letter for her daughter to get into Georgetown. As part of her increasingly aggressive efforts to obtain this recommendation letter, she bakes the woman a ricotta pie and brings it into her office, along with some veiled threats. Here's the scene.

I like it because it shows us Carmela reveling in her darker side a little bit. Here's a character who is often portrayed as moralistic and judgmental of her husband's immoral behavior subtly indulging in some of it herself.

Today I was talking to my girlfriend about how she should deal with a situation at work, and I mentioned something about baking a "regard pie". She didn't know what that meant. Turns out all these years I had been hearing Carmela's line about baking a "ricotta pie" as "regard pie"; I thought "regard pie" was a term referring to a pie you bake for someone when you want to ask for a favor, or you want to apologize, or thank them for something, etc.

tldr

PostPosted: Sun November 26, 2017 6:22 am 
F.U.B.A.R
 WWW  Profile

Dev wrote:
theplatypus wrote:

tldr

Precisely.

PostPosted: Sun November 26, 2017 8:19 am 

Carmela is one of the most evil characters on the show In a way. Certainly one of the weakest. She knew better but did nothing so she could have the stuff she wanted to have. The essential scene to understand Carmela is the one where her therapist, the old Jewish guy, refuses to take her money, tells her to take the children and leave Tony immediately, and then tells her something along the lines of "Now you can never say that no one told you".

PostPosted: Sun November 26, 2017 1:48 pm 
 WWW  Profile

I don't agree that she's "one of the most evil characters in the show", that seems like a hell of a stretch. I would call her one of the most contradictory and hypocritical ones.

PostPosted: Sun November 26, 2017 6:42 pm 

Tony is a psychopath and a broken person. Carmela is a good person who decides to live a bad life. That's evil to me.

PostPosted: Sun November 26, 2017 6:44 pm 
 WWW  Profile

Your idea of evil is weird.

PostPosted: Sun November 26, 2017 6:57 pm 

I just mean, to a certain degree, Tony can't help what he does. He never really tries to be better, and he never really feels bad about anything he's done. By nature and nurture, he is broken and unfixable. That is a kind of evil. But deciding to be a part of that life, knowing full well what is happening and how wrong it is, just so you can keep that big house and nice stuff and the admiration of the other ladies, is cowardly and a different kind of evil. To choose to be evil is worse, to me.

PostPosted: Sun November 26, 2017 7:00 pm 
 WWW  Profile

I get what you're saying, but Tony has agency, as do all the characters in this show who lie, steal, cheat and murder with no regard to consequences on innocent lives. They're not unthinking monsters because they had bad childhoods. Carmela is silently complicit in all of this while espousing to be a good wife and Catholic, which is hypocritical, but not even in the same ballpark as what these other guys do.

PostPosted: Sun November 26, 2017 7:02 pm 
Fake NYC Setlist Relayer

Since watching Ozark - every time I enter the bedroom (If my wife is already in there) I try and reenact this scene

PostPosted: Sun November 26, 2017 7:02 pm 
 WWW  Profile

Now that's evil.

PostPosted: Sun November 26, 2017 7:30 pm 

theplatypus wrote:
I get what you're saying, but Tony has agency, as do all the characters in this show who lie, steal, cheat and murder with no regard to consequences on innocent lives. They're not unthinking monsters because they had bad childhoods. Carmela is silently complicit in all of this while espousing to be a good wife and Catholic, which is hypocritical, but not even in the same ballpark as what these other guys do.

My cousin, who teaches media and communications at a college, told me yesterday that she had never seen The Sopranos. She teaches a lot of courses about television.

PostPosted: Sun November 26, 2017 11:29 pm 

The Argonaut wrote:
theplatypus wrote:

My cousin, who teaches media and communications at a college, told me yesterday that she had never seen The Sopranos. She teaches a lot of courses about television.

PostPosted: Sun November 26, 2017 11:30 pm 

whoa, double trademark

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 14958 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 742, 743, 744, 745, 746, 747, 748  Next

Board index » Word on the Street » General Discussion