The board's server will undergo upgrade maintenance tonight, Nov 5, 2014, beginning approximately around 10 PM ET. Prepare for some possible down time during this process.
FAQ    Search

Board index » Word on the Street » General Discussion




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 71 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Author Message
 Post subject: Re: Mindfulness Meditation
PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2018 1:03 am 
Offline
User avatar
Rank This Poster
 WWW  Profile

Joined: Thu April 04, 2013 6:27 am
Posts: 4884
Location: The lake
Strat wrote:
My favorite "Self help" book is Power of Now by Eckhart Tolle. He has this exercise that made a big impact on me.

When sitting in meditation - or doing anything for that matter - Close your eyes and ask yourself quietly "What will my next thought be?" and 9.9 times out of 10...for a very brief second...there is nothing there. Absolutely nothing. And it lasts for barely no time at all but it was eye opening for me.

I love it. I come back to that.

Dude I loved Eckhart for a long time. I had a similar near suicidal then awakening experience as him. I'll never be the same since.

_________________
serial thread entrepreneurial radio coming soon


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Mindfulness Meditation
PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2018 1:06 am 
Offline
User avatar
The Master
 Profile

Joined: Tue January 01, 2013 3:48 pm
Posts: 33930
Location: Mountains
tree_ wrote:
Strat wrote:
My favorite "Self help" book is Power of Now by Eckhart Tolle. He has this exercise that made a big impact on me.

When sitting in meditation - or doing anything for that matter - Close your eyes and ask yourself quietly "What will my next thought be?" and 9.9 times out of 10...for a very brief second...there is nothing there. Absolutely nothing. And it lasts for barely no time at all but it was eye opening for me.

I love it. I come back to that.

Dude I loved Eckhart for a long time. I had a similar near suicidal then awakening experience as him. I'll never be the same since.

I've read power of now maybe 3 times. Also got the pocket book version of it. I have suggested it to many friends who are going through a struggle. Not all listen!

A New Earth was good too, though not as impactful.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Mindfulness Meditation
PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2018 1:09 am 
Offline
User avatar
Rank This Poster
 WWW  Profile

Joined: Thu April 04, 2013 6:27 am
Posts: 4884
Location: The lake
Yeah I read that one too. He has some fun ideas about pain bodies and shit.

_________________
serial thread entrepreneurial radio coming soon


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Mindfulness Meditation
PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2018 1:09 am 
Offline
User avatar
The Master
 Profile

Joined: Tue January 01, 2013 3:48 pm
Posts: 33930
Location: Mountains
tree_ wrote:
Yeah I read that one too. He has some fun ideas about pain bodies and shit.

His example of watching Ducks go at it in a pond.....then turning away and shaking their feathers and carrying on with their pond lives.....

That one stuck with me. I could have used that visual today at work.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Mindfulness Meditation
PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2018 2:06 pm 
Offline
User avatar
Rank This Poster
 WWW  Profile

Joined: Thu April 04, 2013 6:27 am
Posts: 4884
Location: The lake
Quote:
The nature of the mind is limitless, as far and wide as we dare to imagine.

Quote:
Can you feel the contact between your feet and the floor?

_________________
serial thread entrepreneurial radio coming soon


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Mindfulness Meditation
PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2018 5:09 pm 
Offline
User avatar
Mind Your Tanners
 Profile

Joined: Tue January 01, 2013 11:28 pm
Posts: 8907
Location: Space City
When riding home last night in a pre-dawn hour I passed a food cart in front of someone’s house. The name on the cart was “Scrambled Pancakes.” I turned that phrase around and around in my head as I pedaled the rest of that way home. Is that what meditation is all about?


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Mindfulness Meditation
PostPosted: Wed June 13, 2018 6:17 pm 
Offline
User avatar
Mind Your Tanners
 Profile

Joined: Tue January 01, 2013 11:28 pm
Posts: 8907
Location: Space City
I had my first experience with a float tank last week. I got limited results inside the tank (moments of clarity and absence of thoughts punctuated by a whole lot of trying to get oriented and re-oriented with the float.) Once that light goes off, your brain grasps at any and all sensory stimuli. A drop of condensation in the water echoes. Your heartbeat feels amplified.

The real magic was felt after the hour session. I felt extreme euphoria and sensitivity to the sights and sounds around me. I also had less interest in checking my phone and a greater realization that I can shut out the noise of the world if I concentrate on ignoring it. In short, I felt kind of high.

I am looking forward to doing this again. I anticipate that I'll spend less time adjusting to the float tank and more time getting into my head.


Last edited by washing machine on Wed June 13, 2018 6:22 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Mindfulness Meditation
PostPosted: Wed June 13, 2018 6:18 pm 
Offline
User avatar
Rank This Poster
 WWW  Profile

Joined: Thu April 04, 2013 6:27 am
Posts: 4884
Location: The lake
washing machine wrote:
I had my first experience with a float tank last week. I got limited results inside the tank (moments of clarity and absence of thoughts punctuated by a whole lot of trying to get oriented and re-oriented with the float.) The real magic was felt after the hour. I felt extreme euphoria and sensitivity to the sights and sounds around me.

I am looking forward to doing this again. I anticipate that I'll spend less time adjusting to the float tank and more time getting into y head.
That's awesome. I'd love to try this one day. I recommend listening to a guided mindfulness meditation session to at least become familiar with the sort of practice for next time.

_________________
serial thread entrepreneurial radio coming soon


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Mindfulness Meditation
PostPosted: Wed June 13, 2018 6:22 pm 
Offline
User avatar
Mind Your Tanners
 Profile

Joined: Tue January 01, 2013 11:28 pm
Posts: 8907
Location: Space City
tree_ wrote:
washing machine wrote:
I had my first experience with a float tank last week. I got limited results inside the tank (moments of clarity and absence of thoughts punctuated by a whole lot of trying to get oriented and re-oriented with the float.) The real magic was felt after the hour. I felt extreme euphoria and sensitivity to the sights and sounds around me.

I am looking forward to doing this again. I anticipate that I'll spend less time adjusting to the float tank and more time getting into y head.
That's awesome. I'd love to try this one day. I recommend listening to a guided mindfulness meditation session to at least become familiar with the sort of practice for next time.

I rode the bus and listened to Brian Eno beforehand.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Mindfulness Meditation
PostPosted: Wed June 13, 2018 6:25 pm 
Offline
User avatar
Rank This Poster
 WWW  Profile

Joined: Thu April 04, 2013 6:27 am
Posts: 4884
Location: The lake
washing machine wrote:
tree_ wrote:
washing machine wrote:
I had my first experience with a float tank last week. I got limited results inside the tank (moments of clarity and absence of thoughts punctuated by a whole lot of trying to get oriented and re-oriented with the float.) The real magic was felt after the hour. I felt extreme euphoria and sensitivity to the sights and sounds around me.

I am looking forward to doing this again. I anticipate that I'll spend less time adjusting to the float tank and more time getting into y head.
That's awesome. I'd love to try this one day. I recommend listening to a guided mindfulness meditation session to at least become familiar with the sort of practice for next time.

I rode the bus and listened to Brian Eno beforehand.
That's cool but I think you would gain a certain perspective with at least one 5 minute session of a guided mindfulness meditation.

_________________
serial thread entrepreneurial radio coming soon


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Mindfulness Meditation
PostPosted: Wed June 13, 2018 6:27 pm 
Offline
User avatar
Mind Your Tanners
 Profile

Joined: Tue January 01, 2013 11:28 pm
Posts: 8907
Location: Space City
tree_ wrote:
washing machine wrote:
tree_ wrote:
washing machine wrote:
I had my first experience with a float tank last week. I got limited results inside the tank (moments of clarity and absence of thoughts punctuated by a whole lot of trying to get oriented and re-oriented with the float.) The real magic was felt after the hour. I felt extreme euphoria and sensitivity to the sights and sounds around me.

I am looking forward to doing this again. I anticipate that I'll spend less time adjusting to the float tank and more time getting into y head.
That's awesome. I'd love to try this one day. I recommend listening to a guided mindfulness meditation session to at least become familiar with the sort of practice for next time.

I rode the bus and listened to Brian Eno beforehand.
That's cool but I think you would gain a certain perspective with at least one 5 minute session of a guided mindfulness meditation.

Please don't tell me how to live my life.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Mindfulness Meditation
PostPosted: Wed June 13, 2018 6:29 pm 
Offline
User avatar
Rank This Poster
 WWW  Profile

Joined: Thu April 04, 2013 6:27 am
Posts: 4884
Location: The lake
washing machine wrote:
tree_ wrote:
washing machine wrote:
tree_ wrote:
washing machine wrote:
I had my first experience with a float tank last week. I got limited results inside the tank (moments of clarity and absence of thoughts punctuated by a whole lot of trying to get oriented and re-oriented with the float.) The real magic was felt after the hour. I felt extreme euphoria and sensitivity to the sights and sounds around me.

I am looking forward to doing this again. I anticipate that I'll spend less time adjusting to the float tank and more time getting into y head.
That's awesome. I'd love to try this one day. I recommend listening to a guided mindfulness meditation session to at least become familiar with the sort of practice for next time.

I rode the bus and listened to Brian Eno beforehand.
That's cool but I think you would gain a certain perspective with at least one 5 minute session of a guided mindfulness meditation.

Please don't tell me how to live my life.
You could only benefit. 5 minutes.

_________________
serial thread entrepreneurial radio coming soon


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Mindfulness Meditation
PostPosted: Wed June 13, 2018 8:55 pm 
Offline
User avatar
Mind Your Tanners
 Profile

Joined: Tue January 01, 2013 11:28 pm
Posts: 8907
Location: Space City
tree_ and I were having a good conversation in here but I feel like today's events kind of buried it. Anyway, bump.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Mindfulness Meditation
PostPosted: Wed June 13, 2018 9:50 pm 
Offline
User avatar
The Master
 Profile

Joined: Wed January 02, 2013 3:21 pm
Posts: 48235
is this a tame impala song?

_________________
Dev wrote:
just cuz im clinically depressed doesn't mean im not a total gangster.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Mindfulness Meditation
PostPosted: Thu June 14, 2018 2:49 am 
Offline
Future Drummer
 Profile

Joined: Thu April 21, 2016 12:19 am
Posts: 3191
Oh crap, this thread just made me sprout out a third eye.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Mindfulness Meditation
PostPosted: Thu June 14, 2018 2:50 am 
Offline
User avatar
F.U.B.A.R
 WWW  Profile

Joined: Wed July 03, 2013 11:21 pm
Posts: 15789
Location: Lft Craquepeau
pepperwhiteMFC wrote:
Oh crap, this thread just made me sprout out a third eye.

*Fourth

_________________
Rangi Guy wrote:
So skating back to the train station after work today things went wrong.....now my skateboard is at the bottom of the harbour :(


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Mindfulness Meditation
PostPosted: Thu June 14, 2018 2:55 am 
Offline
Future Drummer
 Profile

Joined: Thu April 21, 2016 12:19 am
Posts: 3191
Sgt. Crackpot wrote:
pepperwhiteMFC wrote:
Oh crap, this thread just made me sprout out a third eye.

*Fourth

Fifth, actually. Maybe even 7th.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Mindfulness Meditation
PostPosted: Thu June 14, 2018 5:19 pm 
Offline
User avatar
The Master
 Profile

Joined: Wed January 02, 2013 3:21 pm
Posts: 48235
where is tree

_________________
Dev wrote:
just cuz im clinically depressed doesn't mean im not a total gangster.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Mindfulness Meditation
PostPosted: Thu June 14, 2018 5:41 pm 
Offline
User avatar
Worst Moderator
 Profile

Joined: Tue January 01, 2013 2:48 pm
Posts: 49283
lennytheweedwhacker wrote:
where is tree

He fell in the woods

_________________
Clouuuuds Rolll byyy...BANG BANG BANG BANG


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Mindfulness Meditation
PostPosted: Thu June 14, 2018 5:43 pm 
Offline
NEVER STOP JAMMING!
 Profile

Joined: Tue January 01, 2013 3:45 pm
Posts: 20667
Location: the beach
E.H. Ruddock wrote:
lennytheweedwhacker wrote:
where is tree

He fell in the woods


did anyone hear?


Top
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 71 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Board index » Word on the Street » General Discussion


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot] and 5 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
It is currently Sun June 24, 2018 8:15 pm