The board's server will undergo upgrade maintenance tonight, Nov 5, 2014, beginning approximately around 10 PM ET. Prepare for some possible down time during this process.
FAQ    Search

Board index » Word on the Street » General Discussion

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1665 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37, 38 ... 84  Next
 Post subject: Re: hey RM, let's get jacked... together
PostPosted: Mon March 12, 2018 1:48 am 
Rank This Poster

It seems like a bad test for VO2 Max.

PostPosted: Mon March 12, 2018 1:56 am 
Mind Your Tanners

Since this has turned into the push-ups vs running thread. I think that there's something wrong with my form somewhat, went for an 8.8km run yesterday and when I finished my back of all places felt quite tight. And......living on a hill sucks cause whichever direction I run I've got a big fuck-off uphill as the last part of my run. Also - running is fine with my meniscus tear, but when I was stretching out - locked up my leg.

PostPosted: Mon March 12, 2018 2:16 am 
Rank This Poster

Stretch your hamstrings before and after running.

Lower back problems when running is usually a sign of strained/sore hamstrings.

It's a fairly common complaint for people who do a fair amount of strength training.

You need to limber up those hammies!

PostPosted: Mon March 12, 2018 2:25 am 
Mind Your Tanners

run2death wrote:
Stretch your hamstrings before and after running.

Lower back problems when running is usually a sign of strained/sore hamstrings.

It's a fairly common complaint for people who do a fair amount of strength training.

You need to limber up those hammies!

Upper back - around my shoulder blades

PostPosted: Mon March 12, 2018 2:47 am 
Rank This Poster

Yeah, poor running form then.

Pull your shoulders back, stick out your chest slightly and pick your head up. Pretend a string is pulling you up from the top of your head.

PostPosted: Mon March 12, 2018 2:52 am 
Mind Your Tanners

run2death wrote:
Yeah, poor running form then.

Pull your shoulders back, stick out your chest slightly and pick your head up. Pretend a string is pulling you up from the top of your head.

My wife said she noticed I lean forward a bit when running. Throwback I guess to when I was super self conscious and used to walk around looking at the ground.
Used to be that I'd take off with the dog and after 20 minutes or so my wife would come find me in the car, get the dog (who I would e pulling along at this point) take her home - then come back and get me, but last time decided to nut it out and run the final few uphill kms

PostPosted: Mon March 12, 2018 2:58 am 
F.U.B.A.R
 WWW  Profile

run2death wrote:

Yeah, it's a bit of an old school test that's still embraced by the military and emergency services here in Australia.

Apparently the YoYo test is much better, never tried it though since the job I'm going for requires 9.6 shuttle/beep.

PostPosted: Mon March 12, 2018 2:59 am 
The Master

Sgt. Crackpot wrote:
run2death wrote:

Yeah, it's a bit of an old school test that's still embraced by the military and emergency services here in Australia.

Apparently the YoYo test is much better, never tried it though since the job I'm going for requires 9.6 shuttle/beep.

good luck

PostPosted: Mon March 12, 2018 3:00 am 
F.U.B.A.R
 WWW  Profile

lennytheweedwhacker wrote:
Sgt. Crackpot wrote:
run2death wrote:

good luck

Thanks Lenny. I'll send you a victory selfie in the day.

PostPosted: Mon March 12, 2018 3:01 am 
Mind Your Tanners

Sgt. Crackpot wrote:
run2death wrote:

What exactly does 9.6 in the shuttle/beep test mean. I looked on a page, but it didn't have an answer - then I got too lazy to keep looking

PostPosted: Mon March 12, 2018 3:21 am 
Rank This Poster

Sgt. Crackpot wrote:
run2death wrote:

Wait, are they trying to measure your VO2 Max? Or are you just measure against these weird, arbitrary tests?

PostPosted: Mon March 12, 2018 5:57 am 
F.U.B.A.R
 WWW  Profile

Rangi Guy wrote:
Sgt. Crackpot wrote:
run2death wrote:

What exactly does 9.6 in the shuttle/beep test mean. I looked on a page, but it didn't have an answer - then I got too lazy to keep looking

run2death wrote:
Wait, are they trying to measure your VO2 Max? Or are you just measure against these weird, arbitrary tests?

Supposedly VO2 max. For the job I'm going for, it's more about mental toughness. They want to know that you're not going give up when you're slugging up stairs with 30kg of gear strapped to yourself.

They do other physical tests, which I've ready passed. These involve more practical scenarios, such as tunnel crawls, ladder climbs, hauling heavy gear and rescue tools, dummy dragging, etc.

PostPosted: Mon March 12, 2018 8:01 am 
Mind Your Tanners

Sgt. Crackpot wrote:
Rangi Guy wrote:
Sgt. Crackpot wrote:
run2death wrote:

run2death wrote:

Supposedly VO2 max. For the job I'm going for, it's more about mental toughness. They want to know that you're not going give up when you're slugging up stairs with 30kg of gear strapped to yourself.

They do other physical tests, which I've ready passed. These involve more practical scenarios, such as tunnel crawls, ladder climbs, hauling heavy gear and rescue tools, dummy dragging, etc.

Are you training to be a fireman?

PostPosted: Mon March 12, 2018 8:58 am 
F.U.B.A.R
 WWW  Profile

Rangi Guy wrote:
Sgt. Crackpot wrote:
Rangi Guy wrote:
Sgt. Crackpot wrote:
run2death wrote:

run2death wrote:

Pretty much.

PostPosted: Mon March 12, 2018 12:57 pm 
Mind Your Tanners

PostPosted: Mon March 12, 2018 1:28 pm 
Rank This Poster

Sgt. Crackpot wrote:
Rangi Guy wrote:
Sgt. Crackpot wrote:
run2death wrote:

run2death wrote:

Hmmmm... Both those test seem to have intermittent breaks or a lot of starting and stopping.

Typical VO2 Max tests have you run at a "comfortably hard" pace to start with, then increase the pace from there until you basically collapse. VO2 Max is a measurement of the maximum amount of oxygen your body can use.

Using a test where you start and stop a lot is dumb.

If you have to do it again, you should tell the person who administers the test that they and the test are stupid.

PostPosted: Mon March 12, 2018 6:59 pm 
F.U.B.A.R
 WWW  Profile

run2death wrote:
Sgt. Crackpot wrote:
Rangi Guy wrote:
Sgt. Crackpot wrote:
run2death wrote:

run2death wrote:

Hmmmm... Both those test seem to have intermittent breaks or a lot of starting and stopping.

Typical VO2 Max tests have you run at a "comfortably hard" pace to start with, then increase the pace from there until you basically collapse. VO2 Max is a measurement of the maximum amount of oxygen your body can use.

If you have to do it again, you should tell the person who administers the test that they and the test are stupid.

Tempting. But I think I'd rather just pass the existing test and get the job.

PostPosted: Mon March 12, 2018 8:15 pm 
Mind Your Tanners

Sgt. Crackpot wrote:
Rangi Guy wrote:
Sgt. Crackpot wrote:
Rangi Guy wrote:
Sgt. Crackpot wrote:
run2death wrote:

run2death wrote:

Pretty much.

Not sure how I'd feel in a life threatening fire to see Sarge running up, his big red hose in his hands and going - 'Shit! - I have the perfect GIF for this situation.'

PostPosted: Mon March 12, 2018 8:15 pm 
Mind Your Tanners

30-35-35

PostPosted: Tue March 13, 2018 2:34 am 
Rank This Poster

Sgt. Crackpot wrote:
run2death wrote:
Sgt. Crackpot wrote:
Rangi Guy wrote:
Sgt. Crackpot wrote:
run2death wrote:

run2death wrote:

Tempting. But I think I'd rather just pass the existing test and get the job.

Coward.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1665 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37, 38 ... 84  Next

Board index » Word on the Street » General Discussion