The board's server will undergo upgrade maintenance tonight, Nov 5, 2014, beginning approximately around 10 PM ET. Prepare for some possible down time during this process.
FAQ    Search

Board index » Word on the Street » General Discussion

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 199 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
 Post subject: Re: The calling in sick thread
PostPosted: Thu August 10, 2017 5:28 pm 
The Master

Strat wrote:
tragabigzanda wrote:
Strat wrote:
LoathedVermin72 wrote:
Also,

1. Healthcare should not be a "benefit" in the first place
2. The tiny amount of vacation we have in the US is detrimental to our sanity as human beings
3. I'm fucking good at my job and have put in tons of work to get the pay I currently have.
4. It's fucked up that we have to bang our heads against a wall for years to earn $60,000 when the top 1% have fucking everything.

Become an appraiser.

I'll say this: All the people in the real estate game in Big Sky are doing work that looks mind-numbingly boring to me...But they all seem to be raking in the dough.

Appraiser or brokers?

I enjoy it for the most part. its a good mix of being in the office and driving around looking at properties, taking photos, stopping off for lunch, being outside. There is a good amount of math but the math is more enjoyable as it becomes more in line with problem solving, putting a puzzle together, lots of writing, l.ots of bullshit with clients (like any job). Ultimately, you can't beat the flexibility. its so worth it to me. I have my own life and i make the decisions. i dont get many benefits but calling the shots on my own life far outweighs that.

PostPosted: Thu August 10, 2017 5:46 pm 
Posting (live)

Strat wrote:
Strat wrote:
tragabigzanda wrote:
Strat wrote:
LoathedVermin72 wrote:
Also,

2. The tiny amount of vacation we have in the US is detrimental to our sanity as human beings
3. I'm fucking good at my job and have put in tons of work to get the pay I currently have.
4. It's fucked up that we have to bang our heads against a wall for years to earn $60,000 when the top 1% have fucking everything.

Become an appraiser.

I'll say this: All the people in the real estate game in Big Sky are doing work that looks mind-numbingly boring to me...But they all seem to be raking in the dough.

Appraiser or brokers?

I enjoy it for the most part. its a good mix of being in the office and driving around looking at properties, taking photos, stopping off for lunch, being outside. There is a good amount of math but the math is more enjoyable as it becomes more in line with problem solving, putting a puzzle together, lots of writing, l.ots of bullshit with clients (like any job). Ultimately, you can't beat the flexibility. its so worth it to me. I have my own life and i make the decisions. i dont get many benefits but calling the shots on my own life far outweighs that.

Yeah, it's more the brokers who are rolling in it, but basically anyone working the real estate game right now -- and that includes property managers, builders/contractors, etc -- are likely going to have a healthy, steady paycheck for a while.

And I wasn't trying to know your chosen profession. I'm just super aware of the fact that if I were to go get a real estate license, I'd probably be making waaaay more money than I am now in just a short while. But it's just so uninteresting to me personally.

PostPosted: Thu August 10, 2017 5:47 pm 
The Master

tragabigzanda wrote:
Strat wrote:
Strat wrote:
tragabigzanda wrote:
Strat wrote:
LoathedVermin72 wrote:
Also,

Become an appraiser.

Appraiser or brokers?

Yeah, it's more the brokers who are rolling in it, but basically anyone working the real estate game right now -- and that includes property managers, builders/contractors, etc -- are likely going to have a healthy, steady paycheck for a while.

And I wasn't trying to know your chosen profession. I'm just super aware of the fact that if I were to go get a real estate license, I'd probably be making waaaay more money than I am now in just a short while. But it's just so uninteresting to me personally.

Yea, i get it. It's not my dream job but it allows me to live a dream life and that is what I have accepted as my life for now.

PostPosted: Thu August 10, 2017 5:49 pm 
Posting (live)

Strat wrote:
tragabigzanda wrote:
Strat wrote:
Strat wrote:
tragabigzanda wrote:
Strat wrote:
LoathedVermin72 wrote:
Also,

Become an appraiser.

Appraiser or brokers?

Yea, i get it. It's not my dream job but it allows me to live a dream life and that is what I have accepted as my life for now.

*know=knock

PostPosted: Thu August 10, 2017 6:11 pm 
Mind Your Tanners

Weird that this title always reads" the ceiling is sick thread" to me?

PostPosted: Thu August 10, 2017 6:15 pm 
I've been POOSSTTIiiEEnngeeaahh

LoathedVermin72 wrote:
Also,

Have and control everything. It really makes you feel powerless.

PostPosted: Thu August 10, 2017 6:19 pm 
10Club Complaint Department

it's all pointless, we'll die and take nothing with us and move on to somewhere else. might as well do what makes you happy

PostPosted: Thu August 10, 2017 6:20 pm 

Strat wrote:
Strat wrote:
tragabigzanda wrote:
Strat wrote:
LoathedVermin72 wrote:
Also,

Become an appraiser.

Appraiser or brokers?

what kind of writing do you have to do, and how much? is it fairly templated? or are you writing from scratch every time?

PostPosted: Thu August 10, 2017 6:21 pm 
post-structuralist

bodysnatcher wrote:
it's all pointless, we'll die and take nothing with us and move on to somewhere else. might as well do what makes you happy

you usually need money to do what you love. Not always, but it help

Spoiler: show
people change. people stay the same. people are so often disappointing - random PM, person unnamed

PostPosted: Thu August 10, 2017 6:21 pm 
The Master

bodysnatcher wrote:
Strat wrote:
Strat wrote:
tragabigzanda wrote:
Strat wrote:
LoathedVermin72 wrote:
Also,

Become an appraiser.

Appraiser or brokers?

what kind of writing do you have to do, and how much? is it fairly templated? or are you writing from scratch every time?

lots of template but those templates are updated quite constantly depending on the job and yada yada yada....

Like I said, its a research paper and you need to try and convince other people that your conclusions are valid and you're not a dumby. im mostly successful.

PostPosted: Thu August 10, 2017 6:22 pm 
The Master

LV, since you can b*ng for like 4 hours straight, why don't you become a cam model? Im sure guys would love to watch you str*** for 90 minutes. Pay handsomely.

PostPosted: Thu August 10, 2017 6:22 pm 

Strat wrote:
bodysnatcher wrote:
Strat wrote:
Strat wrote:
tragabigzanda wrote:
Strat wrote:
LoathedVermin72 wrote:
Also,

Become an appraiser.

Appraiser or brokers?

lots of template but those templates are updated quite constantly depending on the job and yada yada yada....

Like I said, its a research paper and you need to try and convince other people that your conclusions are valid and you're not a dumby. im mostly successful.

woof, that sounds tough, might be a dealbreaker for me. but you and i are one and the same, so maybe i can do it

PostPosted: Thu August 10, 2017 6:23 pm 
Polluted

malice wrote:

Yeah. How many people here love what they do? I mean Looooooooove it. We got Dougray, and that's about it.
The rest of you are liars.

PostPosted: Thu August 10, 2017 6:25 pm 
The Master

bodysnatcher wrote:
Strat wrote:
bodysnatcher wrote:
Strat wrote:
Strat wrote:
tragabigzanda wrote:
Strat wrote:
LoathedVermin72 wrote:
Also,

Become an appraiser.

Appraiser or brokers?

woof, that sounds tough, might be a dealbreaker for me. but you and i are one and the same, so maybe i can do it

You could do it. However, I dont know if I could do it in a regular city? Being in Vail allows me to look at some fucking beautiful and atrocious homes that make it far more interesting. Much of my time taking photos is also driving around the mountains all day as well.

PostPosted: Thu August 10, 2017 6:25 pm 
Worst Moderator

Self wrote:
malice wrote:

Yeah. How many people here love what they do? I mean Looooooooove it. We got Dougray, and that's about it.

If only "Pearl Jam message board moderator" paid well...

PostPosted: Thu August 10, 2017 6:26 pm 
post-structuralist

Self wrote:
malice wrote:

When i moved back to ny, i told my sister i wanted to get a shitty job for a small amount of money and just work towards an art degree.

Then reality set in. Money is really necessary for a certain level of happiness

Spoiler: show
people change. people stay the same. people are so often disappointing - random PM, person unnamed

PostPosted: Thu August 10, 2017 6:28 pm 
Polluted

malice wrote:
Self wrote:
malice wrote:

When i moved back to ny, i told my sister i wanted to get a shitty job for a small amount of money and just work towards an art degree.

Yeah, it is. You get paid to do shit that sucks so you can afford to have stuff and do shit that's fun. It's awesome.

PostPosted: Thu August 10, 2017 6:29 pm 
The Master

Self wrote:
malice wrote:
Self wrote:
malice wrote:

Yeah, it is. You get paid to do shit that sucks so you can afford to have stuff and do shit that's fun. It's awesome.

if i knew then what I know now, I may not have gone to college. Perhaps I wouldn't have taken on that first major debt and may be a bit freer in my employment choices. i dont know. I've seen plenty of people, where I live, make much of themselves without any degree.

PostPosted: Thu August 10, 2017 6:34 pm 
Posting (live)

Self wrote:
malice wrote:

:wave:

PostPosted: Thu August 10, 2017 6:36 pm 
Polluted

Yeah, yeah. I knew you'd have something to say. Ice cream will end up eating your soul. I give you 5 years before you murder some kid who wanted a flavor you ran out of.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 199 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Board index » Word on the Street » General Discussion