The board's server will undergo upgrade maintenance tonight, Nov 5, 2014, beginning approximately around 10 PM ET. Prepare for some possible down time during this process.
FAQ    Search

Board index » Word on the Street » General Discussion

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 199 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
 Post subject: Re: The calling in sick thread
PostPosted: Thu August 10, 2017 3:45 pm 
Looks Like a Cat

malice wrote:
Monkey_Driven wrote:
malice wrote:
This company and the last one dont even give us veterans day off. That's a legitimate public holiday isn't it?

Yes, but very few places get off for it. I work for a state university and we work that day.

re there classes that day? If not you should get the day off.

Funny enough when I worked at PSU, thsy gave everyone off on Nov 1, for "deer day" . weirdest thing I ever saw. The whole university closed so people could go deer hunting

Yeah, there are classes. Only days off during the semesters (other than the traditional holidays) are for Labor Day and MLK day.

The pay is not good at all, but our benefits are very good. After 5+ years of working here I have 21 vacation days, 12 sick days, and 2 personal days a year. The vacation and sick days roll over. Health insurance is super cheap too.

PostPosted: Thu August 10, 2017 3:47 pm 
Future Drummer

Mike wrote:
You should move to germany, LV. I get 30 vacation days + 7-9 public holidays depending on whether they fall on a saturday/sunday or not. Everyone has healthcare, too. There is also no such thing as "sick days". You just stay home for as long as you need if you're sick. After three days you need a doctors notice. After six consecutive weeks of being sick you'll stop getting your full pay and receive like 70%.

The downside: Taxes Taxes Taxes

Yup. My bros all get at least 40% of their paychecks taken by taxes.

Think my one brother (the archaeologist) gets something like 52% taken out.

PostPosted: Thu August 10, 2017 3:48 pm 
Polluted

tmcs wrote:
You need "a valid reason" to use vacation time? WTF?

No, just for PTO. Vacation time is ours to do whatever we want with.

PostPosted: Thu August 10, 2017 3:56 pm 
Future Drummer

run2death wrote:
Mike wrote:
You should move to germany, LV. I get 30 vacation days + 7-9 public holidays depending on whether they fall on a saturday/sunday or not. Everyone has healthcare, too. There is also no such thing as "sick days". You just stay home for as long as you need if you're sick. After three days you need a doctors notice. After six consecutive weeks of being sick you'll stop getting your full pay and receive like 70%.

After taxes, healthcare etc. I have 60% left. It's not too bad.

PostPosted: Thu August 10, 2017 4:00 pm 
"You kids quit having fun with the word filter!"
 WWW  Profile

Mike wrote:
run2death wrote:
Mike wrote:

After taxes, healthcare etc. I have 60% left. It's not too bad.

Congrats

PostPosted: Thu August 10, 2017 4:06 pm 
Future Drummer

Hohe

PostPosted: Thu August 10, 2017 4:08 pm 
Rank This Poster

Monkey_Driven wrote:
The pay is not good at all, but our benefits are very good. After 5+ years of working here I have 21 vacation days, 12 sick days, and 2 personal days a year. The vacation and sick days roll over. Health insurance is super cheap too.

My sister works for the county school system and has similar benefits. She has an health issue that is causing her to miss the first couple weeks but has the time accumulated to take the whole school year if need be.

PostPosted: Thu August 10, 2017 4:14 pm 
Future Drummer

Must be nice to live in a state that actually values teachers.

PostPosted: Thu August 10, 2017 4:21 pm 
Rank This Poster

when i worked at the community college you were allowed to accumulate your vacation days.

the lady in charge of the library retired one year early and got paid for it since she had saved up so many days

PostPosted: Thu August 10, 2017 4:24 pm 
Rank This Poster

Peeps wrote:
LetMeSleep wrote:
How many sick days and holiday days do you get? And public holidays.

I get 25 annual leave days / 10 sick days / 12 public holidays (3 fall on weekends)

we get 11 holidays and then depending on years of service you get PTO to be used for whatever

6th year in i get i believe 20 21.5 days PTO (3.33 hours per week of the work year)

PostPosted: Thu August 10, 2017 4:30 pm 
NEVER STOP JAMMING!

run2death wrote:

My sis is a public school teacher in MA and is basically stuck there for eternity, because a move anywhere else would almost certainly see a drastic cut to her pay and benefits. What other states treat their teachers well? I'd assume that NY and CA do alright; any others you guys know about?

PostPosted: Thu August 10, 2017 4:31 pm 
Misplaced My Sponge

The double-edge sword of accumulating so many vacation days is the inability to use them all. I've been at 5+ weeks of vacation (plus, all the other paid days off) for a few years now. I've rarely come close to using them all, and carrying over doesn't help. Its nice to have that safety net, just in case, and I'm not complaining here. I wish I could actually cash my unused time off instead. Some friends at other companies used to have that type of perk.

PostPosted: Thu August 10, 2017 4:59 pm 
Looks Like a Cat

EJ wrote:
The double-edge sword of accumulating so many vacation days is the inability to use them all. I've been at 5+ weeks of vacation (plus, all the other paid days off) for a few years now. I've rarely come close to using them all, and carrying over doesn't help. Its nice to have that safety net, just in case, and I'm not complaining here. I wish I could actually cash my unused time off instead. Some friends at other companies used to have that type of perk.

Same here. I took a month off for paternity leave using only sick days and I still have a ton left (like 60 plus). I've gotten better about taking more vacation, but it is still hard to use it all.

PostPosted: Thu August 10, 2017 5:06 pm 
The Master

malice wrote:
Peeps wrote:
LoathedVermin72 wrote:
Peeps wrote:
LoathedVermin72 wrote:
Again, I don't think health benefits and a shorter work week are things you should have to earn through debt and wasted time. These are things we look at fundamentally wrong in the US.

while i agree health benefits should be standard (yet you should still have to foot some of the costs) a 40 hour work week isnt fundamentally wrong. it is 1/3 of a day for 5 out of the 7 days of week. hardly a major pain in the side for people you make it out to be

God I hate your generation

so basically you want all the money, all the medical benefits, all the vacation days, the easiest of jobs without putting forth any type of effort that shows you deserve any of that?

gotchya

It's not that they want it, It's that they're entitled to it, like walking into a job making 60 grand right out of college. Totally reasonable.

Brainwashed capitalists like you are the reason this country is like this!

PostPosted: Thu August 10, 2017 5:09 pm 
Future Drummer

tragabigzanda wrote:
run2death wrote:

My sis is a public school teacher in MA and is basically stuck there for eternity, because a move anywhere else would almost certainly see a drastic cut to her pay and benefits. What other states treat their teachers well? I'd assume that NY and CA do alright; any others you guys know about?

CA isn't as great as you would think. The wife and I are constantly thinking about a moving to SD, but her salary there would actually amount to a pay cut.

She'd make about 60K there, which would basically make her a bag lady with the costs of living in SD.

PostPosted: Thu August 10, 2017 5:12 pm 
The Master

Also,

1. Healthcare should not be a "benefit" in the first place
2. The tiny amount of vacation we have in the US is detrimental to our sanity as human beings
3. I'm fucking good at my job and have put in tons of work to get the pay I currently have.
4. It's fucked up that we have to bang our heads against a wall for years to earn $60,000 when the top 1% have fucking everything.

PostPosted: Thu August 10, 2017 5:22 pm 
The Master

LoathedVermin72 wrote:
Also,

2. The tiny amount of vacation we have in the US is detrimental to our sanity as human beings
3. I'm fucking good at my job and have put in tons of work to get the pay I currently have.
4. It's fucked up that we have to bang our heads against a wall for years to earn $60,000 when the top 1% have fucking everything.

Become an appraiser.

PostPosted: Thu August 10, 2017 5:24 pm 
post-structuralist

LoathedVermin72 wrote:
malice wrote:
Peeps wrote:
LoathedVermin72 wrote:
Peeps wrote:
LoathedVermin72 wrote:
Again, I don't think health benefits and a shorter work week are things you should have to earn through debt and wasted time. These are things we look at fundamentally wrong in the US.

while i agree health benefits should be standard (yet you should still have to foot some of the costs) a 40 hour work week isnt fundamentally wrong. it is 1/3 of a day for 5 out of the 7 days of week. hardly a major pain in the side for people you make it out to be

God I hate your generation

so basically you want all the money, all the medical benefits, all the vacation days, the easiest of jobs without putting forth any type of effort that shows you deserve any of that?

gotchya

It's not that they want it, It's that they're entitled to it, like walking into a job making 60 grand right out of college. Totally reasonable.

Brainwashed capitalists like you are the reason this country is like this!

Im no capitalist, but i am a realist. You don't want to know how many articles i read in my last job about how companies were trying to customize their new hire practices in order to cater to millennials. They had to offer working from home, higher starting salary, free lunch, free snacks. All because there's so many of your generation, and these companies were in freak out mode worrying that they'd be left with old folks working at the company, thereby possibly damaging their competitive edge.

this in an already difficult job market, where women like myself are already having to justify every penny we make because companies think women don't need to make as much as men.

I worked the hard way, my entire life. I made 6 bucks an hour cashiering at the age of 20, worked part time and seasonal jobs, took any job that would hire me, and any pay they offered. I finally found a job i was good at at could potentially prosper at and felt invested in, only to be fired for no given reason, and let go after 14 years working my way up at that place.
I don't think a college degree is essential to do well in a job and i never finished school, but i understand a degree comes with the opportunity for better paying jobs, i just dont think you get a free pass for having one, and especially right out of college. There's reasons inexperienced people should work hard to make better pay, because you need to learn a job well to excel at it and help the company move forward.

Gen y has kind of blown that over, as i say, because there's a very large number of you. We dont know yet what effect that will have in coming years

Spoiler: show
people change. people stay the same. people are so often disappointing - random PM, person unnamed

PostPosted: Thu August 10, 2017 5:25 pm 
NEVER STOP JAMMING!

Strat wrote:
LoathedVermin72 wrote:
Also,

Become an appraiser.

I'll say this: All the people in the real estate game in Big Sky are doing work that looks mind-numbingly boring to me...But they all seem to be raking in the dough.

PostPosted: Thu August 10, 2017 5:26 pm 
The Master

tragabigzanda wrote:
Strat wrote:
LoathedVermin72 wrote:
Also,

Become an appraiser.

I'll say this: All the people in the real estate game in Big Sky are doing work that looks mind-numbingly boring to me...But they all seem to be raking in the dough.

Appraiser or brokers?

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 199 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Board index » Word on the Street » General Discussion